Is an illuminated reticle worth it?

My issue is still weight. Unlike Barnhauser who is a perpetual 16 years old, I'm 65 and at my age, I don't want a lugs your arse rifle that weighs me down. I want the lightest possible outfit, probably why I spend the bucks for titanium actions and use light contiur tubes and graphite stocks.

It all comes at a price but it can all be lightweight if it's orsered properly.

Sidecar, I totally agree with you on the weight issue. That is why my RUM at 12lbs. and illuminated NXS is my horse carry rifle. Nine pound 270 non illuminated is my carry rifle. Up to fifty something I would have carried either.

My latest build, a Bartlien No 2 barreled, Savage 11 Lightweight Hunter Action in a prototype Manners Stock (pillar bedded by the owner of Manners no less) with Talley one piece rings and a 1" diameter tube side focus, non illuminated Vortex Diamondback comes in at just shy of 8 pounds with 4 rounds loaded. (Courtesy Pierce Precision Engineering, Lansing, Michigan)

I'm real impressed with the diamondback, it tracks flawlessly and has excellent glass and the BDC reticle. Granted, it's a 308 however, loaded properly it's still viable to 500 yards which, in all honesty is about the farthest I'm going to ethically shoot anyway (and most times lots closer, even out west.

I own one of those Kuhuna rifles too. It's a tank. Sure it shoots out to 1500 yards and your wallet groans everytime you touch it off, and it wears a 30mm long range scope illuminated of course, but candidly, I much prefer the easy to shoot and load for 308.

At my age, 'pie in the sky' can stay there. I'm about reality and the reality is, I'm an old fart and I need lightweight tools to keep doing what I enjoy.

Lots of interesting comments, but I find when the reticle becomes too dark to see than it is past LEGAL shooting hours anyway. So, I don't see the need for illuminated reticle in my hunting applications.

Where I hunt there is no time that is legal for hunting all that matters is that you are only using available light. The low light situations where the shadows are getting pretty dark an illuminated reticle is a handy thing to have.

Gus

Low light hunting is best served with a heavy reticle like a German #4 and good glass. My main hunting rifles wear a Swarovski 2.5-10x56 and a meopta 3-12x56 with #4 reticles. Last light is a short range affair. I have a nightforce 8-32 nsx with an illuminated reticle & other than to see if it worked once I've never turned it on.

I've been having this same argument with myself.

It is difficult to see a black reticle on a charcoal gray pig standing in the shadows. Not just at first or last light, but my eyes are adjusted to bright sunlight and I'm trying to see into a darker area. It may take me a moment to find the crosshair and get it lined up. With just the illuminated center dot in my scope, it draws my eye to it quickly.

I'd like to put an illuminated reticle on another rifle (or two), but I keep looking at the specs and see that it does weigh more than the non-illuminated version of the same scope. But there are probably better ways to shed a few ounces.

I think it depends on the type of hunting a person does, and for close in night hunting it could be very useful and I have buddies that wouldn't buy a scope without one. I have NF scopes with illuminated reticles but found that even on the lowest setting with low light conditions, the few times I tried the light several years ago I had wash out.of the reticle, not helping much with the shot. Generally, if I can't see the reticle it's too dark to make the shot. I'm sure my batteries are now dead. I'm much more concerned with reticle thickness.

What a bunch of wimps. I'm 67 years old, and my main rifle weighs 17#. It beats spending time in the gym.

You want a real workout... Come on by and help me farm..... **** on the gym. You can pay me instead and I'll make you sweat.

17 pounds is an insane weight at 10K feet...anytime.

I think it depends on the type of hunting a person does, and for close in night hunting it could be very useful and I have buddies that wouldn't buy a scope without one. I have NF scopes with illuminated reticles but found that even on the lowest setting with low light conditions, the few times I tried the light several years ago I had wash out.of the reticle, not helping much with the shot. Generally, if I can't see the reticle it's too dark to make the shot. I'm sure my batteries are now dead. I'm much more concerned with reticle thickness.

Better take that DOA battery out. dead batteries leak and cause grief inside the scope.... Just say'in.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.