Another Advantage of an Illuminated Reticle

Litehiker

Last year I bought my "mountain rifle", a 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro, and mounted a Bushnell LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 scope with FFP, mil/mil and G3 illuminated reticle. It was my first illuminated reticle and I liked it right away. It has an abbreviated Xmas tree reticle (compared to my H59 reticle in my competition scope) that I use in conjunction with my rangefinder binoculars set to my cartridge.

But what quickly became obvious at low power in a FFP reticle with the illumination on was that even at 4.5X it was very easy to see the crosshairs.
Without the illumination at this low power reticles get very hard to see. But illumination on and it was no problem.

So some will say, "Just get a SFP reticle and problem solved." Well, yeah, but with FFP I can use my rangefinders and the reticle without cranking the scope all the way to the highest power. Plus I'm used to FFP in competition.
'Nuf sed.

Eric B.

I've been staring through some scopes all day trying to figure out how to evaluate glass. One of the scopes is the Bushnell LRHSi. The illumination in this one is the best. It is crisp. The Vortex PST Gen 2's illumination makes the reticle a bit fuzzy on all visible brightness settings. The Vortex LHT bleeds to the tips of two other hash marks and creates 3 dots instead of one center dot. Not good. I will say Bushnell did good on the illumination in this scope.

jd, The Bushnell LRHSi (Long Range Hunting Scope illuminated) is almost the same as my LRTS (Tactical Scope) and yes, the illumination of my G3 reticle is excellent, like yours.
Sometimes I think Bushnell's Elite line is underrated.

I have found the Lepold fire dot to be great. Just leads your eye to the aiming point. Especially useful on game with natural camo (Yotes) on a camo background.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.