Is it worth the extra money?

Tikkamike

I am hopefully buying an lss in a 300 rum and am looking at bases. just wondering what the general consensus is on rails with recoil lugs vs. rails without. I have a Badger with a lug on my 338 Lapua and I have extreme confidenc that its super solid and not going anywhere. so heres the question, is something like an EGW just as dependable or is it worth an extra 60-$100 for a badger?

From what I have seen on a few rifles, but never having owned one, with the variance in factory receivers, you would have to be extremely lucky to get a rail that fit snug to the receiver enough to actually work. I am sure its nothing a little jb weld wouldn't solve, but on my rifles i went with the EGW rails and spent the difference on having my rails and receivers opened up to 8-40 screws. I think the best way to go as far as making a rail recoil proof, would be keying the scope rail to the recoil lug. Or pinning the rail to the receiver.

Hi Mike, I have fired thousands of rounds through different rifles with EGW 20MOA bases. To this date I have never had a problem with shifting or point of impact change, even on my 300 RUM.
I've used more expensive types but all that does is make people think I had money.
Realistically though, all bases are held on with 4 tiny screws, so you may even consider gluing it on.
For what it's worth, I've won dozens of 1000 yard shoots in the I.B.S with $40-50 bases:rolleyes:

I like the Near Mfg bases very much for heavy recoiling rifles.

They have the recoil lugs and on the Mark 5 Weatherby,s they snap in (Some excellent machining
and A perfect fit).

In fact they are so good that I have not tried any others sense buying my first set of Near rings
and bases.

They are expensive but on some rifles they are definitely worth the money. On most rifles
bases with lugs they are not nessary though.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.