Is a 1:10 twist 243 win a one load coyote gun????

Growing up all we had were a couple 243s. Dads hammered hundreds of deer with a Remington 788 with what ever box of 100 grain ammo was cheapest at wal mart. I'm not sure on the twist rate of that rifle though. I've had 3 others that were 1-10, confirmed. Favorite bullets are 85 and 100 grain game kings. Also shot 100 grain pro hunters, I bought a bunch in college because game kings went up and I didn't want to fork out the extra money since I had none! The 85 grain gamekings seem to kill like lightning on small deer and will turn a coyote inside out. Never shot a big buck or mule deer with one though. Dad's killed some dandies with my 100 grain game king load I made for his rifle, never recovered a bullet.

I shoot almost exclusively the 95 gr Nosler BT for coyotes, antelope and deer. All were one shot DRT. Last fall took a coyote at 265 yards and dropped like a rock, livestock bone still in its mouth. Don't hunt for hides, thus more concerned with quick kill on a predator. Years ago, for hides, I used the 90 gr Sierra FMJ. Made a little hole and went straight through. Ran out of the bullet and decided to stick with one bullet and load. I also shoot the 75 gr Nosler solid base bullet for great effect on coyotes and small varmints. Good luck in your quest, just know the 243 is capable for the task described.

I have a TC Venture 243 with a 1:10 twist. It does very well with Hornady 100 gr interlock on Wisconsin whitetail. I'm sure it would also do well on yotes with that bullet. It also shoots the 55 gr Nosler BT extremely well. Super fast and accurate bullet but do not expect to recover much for small game in one piece. It will just blow stuff apart.

My 243 loves the 85 grain GameKings and I shoot coyotes, deer, bobcats, and whatever else that size critters. Most deer die within sight, and coyotes and cats are DOA. IMR 4064 is what mine loves, and it will not shoot another bullet I've tried anywhere near as good as it shoots those 85's. I've tried some Swifts, and Noslers, 90-100 grain, and it just will not shoot them. It's a Rem. 700 with the 26" heavy barrel, not a big fan of that, but it's left handed with a Triggertech Diamond, and it is a pleasure to shoot once you get it there lol.

I have had good luck in my 1:10 twist Kimber Montana even with its spindly barrel. But I only shoot 3 shot groups before it starts to open up.

IMG_0921.jpegIMG_0105.jpegIMG_0099.jpeg

I've had several 243's and never owned one that wouldn't shoot sub MOA with Sierra 85 BTHP Game kings.

With that said,good luck finding them. Been searching for 3 years for some. My current 243 is a Savage 10. It loves the 85 GK ,but will do a good job with 87 SST's .

Attachments

• 20240131_121136.jpg
    20240131_121136.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 5
I do like a purpose driven gun. And if its only good for coyote, one weight bullet, dial the load in and buy a stack of bullets and be set to go for a looooong time. Sounds good to me.

What do u guys figure?
I feel the same. Once I find a bullet/powder combination, I stay with it forever. Only time I might have to change is if they discontinue a bullet and I run out.

I also have purpose built rifles. If hunting at less than 400 yds, I use my .308. If I might have an opportunity to shoot over 400 yds, I use my 300WM. For shooting steel, I use my 6.5CM. I gave my Savage 110 .243 to my grandson who shot his 1st deer with it just like I did at his age. That .243 used to be my SoDak everything rifle: whitetails, mule deer, antelope, jackrabbits, prairie dogs, etc. I figure, why change something that works? I have a buddy who just likes to experiment. He buys a rifle or pistol, works up a load, then it goes in his safe to never be touched again, and then he buys another rifle or pistol. He must have well over 300 firearms. He's been doing that for over 60 years, since he was a kid. I guess I'm just boring.

Last edited:
From what little reading I have done a 243 is a bit heavy for coyote for saving fur, but lots of good results with 85gr bullets of the correct construction.

I read of trouble stabilizing 100gr

I figured use it as a 70-90gr rifle @ 2800-3000 ish to prolong barrel life

I wouldn't see any use in shooting heavier for deer.....just grab a heavier cal deer rifle (probly **** a lot of 243 lovers off saying that....)

I do like a purpose driven gun. And if its only good for coyote, one weight bullet, dial the load in and buy a stack of bullets and be set to go for a looooong time. Sounds good to me.

What do u guys figure?
In setting up a rifle. I figure out what weight bullet I am planning on using. I have some pet bullet types that I generally stay with. Found they seem to work very good in my rifles. Once I find the pet load, that's what I stay with in that rifle going forword. Velocity and Accuratic is my requirements. .5" @ 100yds or less, Velocity of 3200 to 3300 fps. Grouping at 500yds under 3". The reason behind that is I don't have to figure out what my bullet drop at those different yardages. They all fly about the same or drop. Same drop in the different calibers. KISS is the name of the game at least for me.
Probable with coyotes and saving the hide. You will want something that dosen't come apart. it doesn't take much to take down a Coyote. A 243 is find for deer sizes animal too. If you or feel you need a little additional velocity. Change you chamber some and go to AI case. You can fire form the case from 243W cases. That way you can handle heavier bullet and keep up the veloicty. Twist rate is the other thing to be thinking about, because if going to all copper bullets.

I was looking at the Sierra 75gr Varminter #1510, its a hollow point but says it designed for high velocity and long range so maybe its tough enough not to open too much?
Or does it open all the way and stop w no exit?

Edit: First review on Midway says enter and exit hole, like a FMJ

I like the "protected point" style bullets. Looks like this one has that feature. Less damage if they get dropped. They will still get messed up, but better then a bent lead tip. I say any full copper tip is protected to me versus an exposed lead point.

I also shoot the 95gr NBT out of a 243 for deer/pigs with great results. My coyote load is a 70gr Sierra Blitzking. Both do their job perfectly.

I see one guy on here votes for 87gr Hornady BTHP #2442 for saving fur, says he gets entrance and exit small holes

Can you PM on this forum?
Yes click the users name and then a thing should pop up and click start a conversation or at the very top bar beside your username should be a little envelope click that and click start a conversation, should be pretty straight forward but you might have messaging off or something because I can't PM you

These days it's not worth the effort to me to try to save furs unless the prices have really gone up recently. I use to get $50-60 a skin. Jonas Bros in Denver would deduct $5 per skin if I just brought them the animal. I hate skinning coyotes!
When I skinned them I had to bring it in face and all. When they skinned them they started behind the head and only took the back which of course is all they used no matter how you skin them to sell.