Interesting info about Berger Bullets.

Fotis

I was nosing around the Berger Bullets website. I noticed that they actually recommend their VLD bullets for hunting and to boot they offer a free dvd with info pertaining to this.
Well they sent me the dvd and to my surprise they had tons of game kills on it and at 1000+ yards ranges. What the best of the west people do not tell you on their first dvd is that that is all they use on their long shots. Pretty nice dvd of long and fairly short range shots. Most kills are made with 168 7mm vld 7mm rem mag and STW ang some with 300 mag with the 168 vld, and some others. Order it , it is free and enjoy.

POP this may be a dumb question, but I cannot find on Berger's site where to get the free DVD. Any help or a link would be much appriciated.

Thanks,

Dan

"You owe it to yourself to see how accurate and deadly the Berger VLD will be on your next hunt. Call 714-447-5456 to request video proof of these results in the field."

All I did was e-mail them and asked them for it.
But go to www.bergerbullets.com ...them click on tech info...then read the "hunting bullets" blurp.
It reads:
<font color="red"> The MATCH VLD bullets are proving to be the most lethal big game hunting bullet available. The VLD design incorporates a sharp nose that allows the bullet to penetrate up to 3 inches before it starts to expand. This delayed expansion results in a wound channel that is deep inside the vital area of any big game. After the bullet starts to expand it will shed 80% to 90% of its weight into the surrounding tissue traveling as deep as 18 inches. This results in a massive wound cavity that creates the greatest possible amount of tissue damage and hemraging. This massive and extensive wound cavity result in the animal dropping fast. Our bullets don't poke through like an arrow but instead expend all of their energy right where it is most effective, inside the animal. Bullets that poke through so that they can cause a blood trail result in a hunter tracking a wounded animal. Using the Berger VLD will result in an animal that goes down fast so you can enjoy the results of your hunt without having to track the wounded animal after the shot. You owe it to yourself to see how accurate and deadly the Berger VLD will be on your next hunt. Call 714-447-5456 to request video proof of these results in the field.

Boat Tail Bullets</font>

Also this is interesting.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=214417&amp;highlight=berger

Give em a try POP! Ha ha. They sent me the DVD a couple months ago when I called and was asking them questions about using there 7mm 168g VLD for hunting out of my 7 RM. They assured me it was more then suitable for deer and elk at the ranges I wanted to use it. They also sent me a free Berger hat as well!

Well the dvd did show all shots under a lot of different conditions all being sucessful. I just do not like this 80-90% of bullet coming apart inside the animal, even though it takes a full 3" of tissue or bone to open them up. These are their words not mine. Also I wish they would have tested them in ballistic gel or other media on the dvd instead of all animal shots. Reason being is they did not analyze the shots and tell the viewer what each (or any) of the shots actually did or how the bullet behaved.

After seeing my wifes deer go down like gravity was increased ten times,I'll be trying them out somemore next year.I still have my reservations whether Id be trying a shoulder shot on an elk though.

Thats mainly what I wanted to know about the 7mm 168g VLD. I'm only shooting it between 2900-3000fps out of a 7 RM, but I wanted to know from them if it would be up to the task of taking shoulder shots on black bears and elk and they assured me I would have no problems. They two told me about there bullet literally exploding inside the animal which in turn gave dramatic one shot drop kills, as can be seen from the video. Bottom line they said was that if I didn't feel confident with the bullet on elk, then dont use it. There were 2 deer shot with the 168g VLD ranges were 175 and 618. The bullet exited both deer, leaving 2 inch exit holes or so. The 618yd buck was a high shoulder shot, while the 175 yard buck was behind the shoulder. It looked like old faithful there was so much blood spraying. I just dont like the idea of bullets not holding there weight on elk and bears. It just doesn't make sense to me. From my shooting into newspaper with them, they usually only retain 20-30%, which sounds about right.

[ QUOTE ]
Thats mainly what I wanted to know about the 7mm 168g VLD. I'm only shooting it between 2900-3000fps out of a 7 RM, but I wanted to know from them if it would be up to the task of taking shoulder shots on black bears and elk and they assured me I would have no problems. .

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it, from their DVD anyway. Shoulder shots worked great.

My 30 cal 185 vlds are running the same velocity as your 7s.It'd be interesting to somehow simulate a heavy bone shot at long range,just not sure what youd use to do it.Although I prefer a bullet to pass through an animal I dont mind it if it expends all its energy inside of it.I hunted with 22 and 6mm cal quite a bit for deer when I was younger (not really long range,300 yds and under)and generally used 50-55 gr Hornady spire points in the 22s and 75 gr Hornady HPs in the 6.I never got any pass throughs with either,but the internal damage was devistating.I guess until proven wrong I'll hunt with the bullet that shoots best in my gun and so far its proven to be the 210 vld or smk.

A little off topic, but what load are you using in your 7mm RM with the Berger's? I was going to work up some loads, and haven't found much to start from for this bullet (COL, charge, etc.).

I shot a mulie from 160 yards with an accubond (160). It punched a nice little entrance hole and didn't exit. The deer just fell over on the spot. I assume the Berger's would do the same thing with similar shot placement.

The load I'm using in my Rem 700 is 64g Rl-22, Win cases, fed 215, OAL is 3.440" which is jammed into the lands. Velocity is 2950-3000fps. Accuracy is 1/3 MOA to 1/2 MOA. Have shot it out to 700 yards only but gave me 2.5", 3.5", and 5" group at that range. I'm very surprised your 160g AB didn't exit on a deer at that range. That seems odd to me. My guess if the AB didn't fully penetrate, the VLD would not either. I can see where on deer complete penetration is not needed. I have seen my fair share of deer shot with 22-250's and 223's and they never exit, but we always got our deer. I just think on elk you do need an exit. They are very tough animals to bring down.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.