Interested in some 6mm-06 performance experiences

I am toying with the idea of a 6mm-06 slightly improved* in a 26" barrel lightweight for some very flat areas that I have roe stalking on.

Interested in what muzzle velocities I can expect with 85-90gr bullets at sensible pressures.

*The actual chambering is a 6x62Freres which has the shoulder slightly moved forward and the angle slightly sharper, I can get a barrel for my Blaser K95 in this.

I have a 6mm/06 Ackley Imp. and I shoot 55gr
bullets @4195, this is great whitetail medicine! Have killed 30+ with it and a friend of mine has killed 5 with it. You would think the deer would take the hit and run off.This is not the case, they do a quick flip and hit the dust for good!! I am a firm believer in bullet placement and with a well placed 55gr they will bite the dust!!I haven't tried the weights you were interested in.I highly reccomend the 6mm/o6
Ack Imp., if not this round the 240 Gibbs is also a screamer!

I built a 6mm-06 for one of my customers about 2 months ago using printed Rem 700 action and a 28.5" Kreiger stainless, fluted, 1-9" twist barrel.

His first test groups were with the 55 gr Ballistic Tip using H-414 which produced just under 4400 fps and groups in the 1's and 2's at 100 yards.

More in line with your question, he finally tested the bullet this rifle was designed to shoot, the 105 gr Hornady A-Max and is getting an honest 3600 fps with groups in the 3's at 100 yards.

The 6mm-06 ia a very impressive round if you have enough barrel to let it run. I am now thinking of building myself one for a lightweight pronghorn and coyote rifle.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Do you think 26" is enough? I currently have a 6.5 barrel that is launching 100s at 3,325fps and would need an extra 200fps from the 6mm with 85/90s to make it worthwhile.

If you get a fast barrel you may play with the 3450 to 3500 fps range with the 85/90 gr bullets but I feel you would be pushing things pretty hard.

If I remember correctly you said the area you will be hunting is pretty flat and it is relatively open as well, you will be better served with a longer barrel.

The big 6mm rounds really start to run hard with a 28" barrel. So if this would fit into your hunting style, you certainly woul dhave a better chance getting your velocity goals with a bit longer barrel.

THe big 6mm rounds are what they are and nothing else. If your building it to outperform your 6.5 round you may not be totally satisfied. A 25-06 AI or 6.5-06 AI will smoke the 6mm-06 in every catagory but they also generate more recoil.

For longer range shooting, you really need to get into the VLD bullet designs to see any real advantage with the 6mm over other similiar calibers like the 25 and 6.5.

If you get a 28" barrel and drive a 105 gr A-Max or 107 gr Sierra or better yet one of the big bonded core bullets that Richard Graves builds at Wildcat Bullets such as his 110 gr and 115 gr Flat base, then you will start to really get into some serious long range possibilities compared to the smaller bullets.

Even a 95 gr Ballistic Tip has a pretty low B.C. compared to these bullets which will run in the low to mid .500 range. They can really turn the big 6mm's into something special.

Still they are 6mm's and on game, while they are great for the smaller deer species, they are not overly powerful at ranges much past 400 yards. They get the job done fine with good shot placement which is always the goal for sure but it is much more critical with these rounds.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Unfortunately Blaser have replied that 24" is the longest they can do which I think kills it.

I guess 3325fps and a 6.5mm 100gr should do it out to what I need.

Thanks for the help. One of these days I may rebarrel a #1 to 6mm06.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.