Input on 284 Winchester Barrel Length and Scope for NULA

Lost in alamos

I am having Melvin Forbes with NULA re-build a 284 Winchester for me in a model 20 based on one of his older ULA's.

Obviously the goal is an ultra light mountain rifle. My question is should I go for the 22" or 24" barrel. I plan on using it for high elevation hunts in the lower 48 with a 140 grain accubond bullet traveling around 3,000 ft per second with a 3" coal. Longest shots will probably be 500 yards once I get enough time behind the trigger.

Second question - scope choice. I am thinking about a leupold VX3 in a 3.5x10x40 with CDS obviously trying to squeeze as much out of the scope without compromising on weight, but I keep going back to a 2.5x8x36 to save a few ounces. Melvin recommended not to use a euro brand due to zeroing issues in the past.

Total weight with scope is 5 3/4 to 6 lbs.

Your input is appreciated.

IMO, supporting your goal for a light weight mountain rifle and the distances you expect to shoot, the 22 inch barrel should serve you well. I don't' see enough difference in scope weights to matter.

I'd go 22" to keep it compact as well as light. On a mountain rifle the 3.5-10 would be my pick.

The 24" with 2.5-8x would be quite useable, and pick what suits you. Its all about preference once choices get this close.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.