Input on 284 Winchester Barrel Length and Scope for NULA

Lost in alamos

I am having Melvin Forbes with NULA re-build a 284 Winchester for me in a model 20 based on one of his older ULA's.

Obviously the goal is an ultra light mountain rifle. My question is should I go for the 22" or 24" barrel. I plan on using it for high elevation hunts in the lower 48 with a 140 grain accubond bullet traveling around 3,000 ft per second with a 3" coal. Longest shots will probably be 500 yards once I get enough time behind the trigger.

Second question - scope choice. I am thinking about a leupold VX3 in a 3.5x10x40 with CDS obviously trying to squeeze as much out of the scope without compromising on weight, but I keep going back to a 2.5x8x36 to save a few ounces. Melvin recommended not to use a euro brand due to zeroing issues in the past.

Total weight with scope is 5 3/4 to 6 lbs.

Your input is appreciated.

IMO, supporting your goal for a light weight mountain rifle and the distances you expect to shoot, the 22 inch barrel should serve you well. I don't' see enough difference in scope weights to matter.

I'd go 22" to keep it compact as well as light. On a mountain rifle the 3.5-10 would be my pick.

The 24" with 2.5-8x would be quite useable, and pick what suits you. Its all about preference once choices get this close.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.