Innovative Technologies Collet Die

The Redding Holders decrease headspace by increasing the thickness. In other words they are thicker than a standard holder by the advertised increments. The die touches the holder sooner, therefore it's not set as deep.

You don't need the Redding holders, but they do make it convenient. You can accomplish the same thing by trial and error as mentioned in my first post in this thread. You can also use feeler gauges to setup quickly if you're willing to sacrifice a piece of brass.

Set the die to touch the holder, size a piece of brass, measure the difference between it and a fired piece of brass, subtract 0.002" (give or take a thousandth if you prefer slightly tighter or slightly looser), then get a feeler gauge of that thickness, lay it on top of the shell holder, raise the ram, tighten the die down to touch the feeler gauge, and you should be darn close.

For example:
Fired case measures 2.008" to datum.
Case sized with die touching holder measures 2.000" to datum.
2.008 - 2.000 = 0.008 headspace.

So if you want 0.002 headspace, then 0.008 - 0.002 = 0.006 feeler gauge.

Hope that makes sense.
Thanks for this explanation. This makes sense. I thought that the shell holders were thinner. By hap-chance do you know if the Redding shell holders will work with the Rockchucker and RCBS dies?

You can do the same with paper folded over itself to get the desired thickness and I put a hole in the middle for the decapping pin end ,use a caliper to get your measurement .

I'm pretty sure the Redding shell holders will work in your RCBS press. That said, you can accomplish the same task by just simply slowly screwing your due in. The Redding Competition shell holders are nice if you have multiple rifles in the same cartridge and therefore can size your brass specific to each chamber and leave the sizing die at the same setting. If you only have 1 rifle in that cartridge then I would just slowly screw the die in until it's right.

As mentioned, if getting case head separation, you are pushing your shoulder back too far. Adjust your die so you are only pushing the shoulder back .001 to .002" from a case fired in that chamber. If it still won't chamber, then your resizing die, even though pushing the shoulder back adequately, is not adequately resizing the body immediately in front of the belt. That is where the Willis Collet die comes in. I have one and it works as advertised. I don't shoot belted magnums any more so would be willing to let it go very reasonably if interested.

John
PM sent.

DocB

Back in the 1960's, people were cutting off the FL die shoulder and bottom just above the belt clearance to make a belted case body die. After full length sizing the fired case setting its shoulder back .002" in a standard die, this body die was used to size the several thousandths of the case in front of the belt all the way to the belt.

This let the case headspace on its shoulder without that ridge in front of the belt interfering. Otherwise, that ridge would cause the barrel's vibrations to change the direction the muzzle pointed when the bullet left. Only a quarter to half MOA but enough to matter.

Thanks for this explanation. This makes sense. I thought that the shell holders were thinner. By hap-chance do you know if the Redding shell holders will work with the Rockchucker and RCBS dies?
Just fine - BUT make sure your regular shell holder is also a Redding.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.