Inexpensive (relatively), tough, accurate rifle...any ideas?

cdmorten

I know this is going to draw some comments, like "Inexpensive, Tough and Accurate...pick two", but I'm interested in getting a new .308. I would like it to have a 24" or 26" heavy barrel, synthetic stock, tough hardware, box magazine, accurized, etc. Essentially, I'd like something like the Rock from GA Precision but I'd like to pay $1,500 or less. Does anyone make that rifle?

Factory Remington VLS.

Have a gunshith check the crown when you get it.
JB the bore per instructions every 500 rounds. You'll be pleased and the $$ amount you budgeted will get the rifle, scope, mounts and a couple boxes of practice ammo.

Mike
Granbury, Tx

[image]
groups.jpg

Off the top I would suggest a Win. Stealth ll, get it skim-bedded and the trigger tuned and if the 'factory-rifle gods' smile on you, your objectives will be met. Same goes for a Rem. 700 VS, VLS, or whatever combination of "V"s and 'S"s Remington is using this year.
The Win. is easier to load, the rounds go into the bigger magazine area far better than with a short action Remington - otherwise the two rifles are very similar in ergonomics and accuracy. Win. has a three position wing safety, Remington has a two position button - blond or brunette deal there. Win has a simpler trigger, if a good smith redoes it they are excellent. Rem. has a good trigger but inter-relationship with the safety requires a knowledgable smith or they can be very dangerous - limitation of trigger pull weight, can effect safety operation - push off safety and rifle fires, drop bolt handle and rifle fires - not good in anyone's book.
We have experience with about thirty of these rifles now, no idea which is inherently more accurate - they are both very good rifles. I believe you pays your money and take your chances. Either model does definitely benefit from skim-bedding and trigger work since not many guys can shoot good groups with seven pound triggers that creep and move with excessive overtravel. Both are using HS Precision stocks, nice fitting and pretty tough but the aluminum bedding block is a marketing feature, more than an accuracy aid.

Good luck, remember to plan on spending almost as much (some guys suggest at least as much $) on your optics and mounts if you really want to get the most out of that rifle. Then buy a bunch of 168/175 grain bullets, a bunch of Varget, lots of Winchester brass and primers and start shootin as much as possible.

I would send whichever rifle you buy to a good smith anyhow and get them to rebed and tune the trigger - definitely worth doing. After you shoot-out the factory barrel you can consider moving up to a GA Precision type rifle.

Corbett

Your requirement for accuracy can be met by either the Win Stealth or the Rem V/this ot that. But for durability you might look at the FN SPR. Comes with a McMillan stock, floor plate or drop mag and Badger mount. Test reports say that after marathon firing of 15,000 rounds and an adittional 15,000 dry firings the rifle still printed .6 5-shot groups. I don't beleive all the gun rag BS, but a friend of mine knows a guy that put 12,000 through one before rebarreling. And it falls under you $1500.00 allotment. For a out of the box, ready to go rifle it would be hard to beat.

You might look at a Savage. Not the "name" 308, but they shoot very accurately, come in synthetic with bull 308 barrels, and the Accutrigger is hard to beat. Have several friends that swear by them. Their sniper rifles shoot great.

I have to agree with the last poster. Savage heavy bbls shoot way out of proportion with their cost. The accutrigger is nice too. A lot of shooters who do not know any better turn their noses up at Savages. They shoot too **** well for me to do that. I love my custom Rem's but I own a 308 Savage that will shoot so well it is scary.

I can recommend, with the others previous, a Rem. VS .308.

A Rem. 700 with a 5R barrel might be an inexpensive option too. They are great shooters "out the box" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif...sakofan..

I'll chime in in favor of Savage. A earlier poster said they shoot out of proportion to their price and this is very true. A few months back the sig arms rep for our area dropped by the range with their straight pull "tactical" rifle package. You know one of those "hey look at our spiffy new rifle" kinda things. My savage out shot his blazer .34 to .77 moa. Ive got a 112BVSS in 300 WM. He sure did turn red when I mentioned to the other shooters about the price differance(1/4th). Check out the savage. they can be had with any one of 6 stock options up to and including a mcmillan if you want it. Its better to spend the $ on the glass anyway.

I once bought a new 300 Win mag in a Savage. Took it to the range and fired some rounds that were printing a foot apart from left to right. That was the last time I dealt with Savage. No more never again.

My son just had a .30/338 Lapua built up on a Savage action; brake on the front and in over 50 years of shooting .30 caliber rifles of ALL KINDS...I "ain't" seen nair one what'll stay with this one! And I've had some **** accurate LR rifles in .30 cal for NRA HP shooting! No contest busting 1 gal. milk jugs from 800 yds.!! I don't own one; just shot this one of my sons but I probably will before long!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

"I DON'T WANT NAIR RIFLE....WHAT WON'T SHOOT TIGHTER THAN I CAN HOLD!"

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.