In the Ear? Really???

DJ and scrmblr,

Nice hogs both of you. About time the owner of this thread participated in its ongoing saga! DJ, Kind of puzzled though, that doesn't look like 8' high corn behind you. Are you sure you're not enhancing the descriptions to make it appear harder than it was? Well, even so, glad to see the Pic. Pic's from you have been scarcer than poundage lost on your diet!

Made it worthy my while to drop in, for a change. Finally got the site into my laptop and will be viewing while traveling.

More Pic's, More Pic's......:rolleyes:

Packrat

DJ,

When you are after a sounder, do you keep up the pressure for several nights in a row, or do you give them a few days in between hunts so as to not feel so much hunting pressure.

I'm baiting part of a soybean field the is surrounded by thick growth on 3 sides. There is a swamp branch approximately 400 feet from my bait pile. I can't pursue the hogs since the cover is so thick, so I have to sit and wait on the hogs.

I think I put too much pressure on the sounder a few week ago since I've not had trail camera photos of the large sow in 2 weeks. I'd love to go every night, but I think I may need to space it out to every 2nd or 3rd night to give them time to relax.

Thoughts?

DJ, Thoughts?

****, Scrmblr, you really are desperate, aren't you, if you want "thoughts" from djones? How about a side bet that he can't formulate one or two to help you out! I admit he used to get a lot of Hogs, but until the hogs thinned out, his basic technique was to close his eyes and just fire in any direction til he got one. Not only that, but can you believe anyone that claims he "Pole Vaulted" with his rifle over a hog or used a tire iron to choke one to death?

djones:
"the old dj just ain't what he used to be"
That's for sure and we're not sure if he ever was!

Packrat

OK, djones is going to kill me, but I'll tell you his secret that he told me when we were inducted into the Fugawee tribe. I had promised not to tell, but he doesn't come on the thread often enough to notice that I told you.

BTW, inductees into the Fugawee are always easy to spot and are extremely proud of their tribe. It must be a pretty large tribe since you can see them standing alongside the road, usually with a map in their hand, scratching their head and proclaiming "We're the Fugawee"? Strange that most of them don't recognize the secret sign though, and a sign with the right forefinger in the right ear, two fingers of the left hand up your nose and the loudest flatulence you can generate, should be easy to recognize.

Back to djones secret method for getting hogs. You know that stuff he calls "Peanut stuff"? well what it is, is Peanut Butter that wasn't quite good enough to sell to people so he buys it by the truckload, stickie's it up with Sorghum Molasses, and then takes it out as bait. The hogs come and are eating it, hear djones clumping his way through the corn and they try to run. Well with that sticky stuff, they can't open their mouths to breathe so the fall over from lack of Oxygen. Then he walks up and shoots them.

I can't believe you've never noticed the powder burns on all them hogs!

Just don't tell djones I told you and if you practice the secret sign while in public, I'll see if I can get you into the tribe.!

Packrat

If passing gas is all it takes to get into the club, then I'm a sure thing to get my membership!

I've tried coating trees in peanut butter before, and it seemed to work well. Where I'm currently hunting, there are no trees to apply peanut butter on.

Right now, I'm limited to one place to hunt hogs. Archery season started on the 15th, so that eliminated a number of spots. Some jackwad is driving through my friend's soybean fields, so the DNR guys are watching everything very closely at all of the other spots.

It is easier just hunting one spot instead of driving around to 6 spots to hunt. I want to maximize the attraction to the spot for the hogs. I've put out over 2k lbs of corn in the past 2 months. It is working and they return to the spot every night. I don't want to scare them off, so I'm trying to be careful in how often I hunt.

Well i have been lurking long enough. Enjoying this thread of like minded individuals. I was introduced to this wonderful sport of hog hunting by scrmblr and have got the bug. Was fortunate enough to get my third hog this weekend. Love my 45-70 think this is the perfect hog round as it is very forgiving and trust me you do not have to track them.

How often can we hunt our bait pile without driving them off?

Well i have been lurking long enough. Enjoying this thread of like minded individuals. I was introduced to this wonderful sport of hog hunting by scrmblr and have got the bug. Was fortunate enough to get my third hog this weekend. Love my 45-70 think this is the perfect hog round as it is very forgiving and trust me you do not have to track them.

How often can we hunt our bait pile without driving them off?

I'll vouch for SCmaleRN. I've worked with him for almost 7 years, and about the only thing we disagree on is which college conference to support. I'm an SEC guy, and for some unknown reason, he cheers for the ACC.

I grew up in Nashville, and am a diehard Vanderbilt fan. Other than the recent success in football under Coach Franklin and the national championship in baseball 2 years ago and the runner spot this year, I've been disappointed my entire life with their athletic program.

But I can say I went to Vanderbilt...

For swim lessons and baseball camp.

OK, shutting down for the trip North. May or may not check in each night depending on how far I got that day and how tired I am. Will see you all when.

The difference between 1st class and tourist is just money and is more than offset by the memories created!

Packrat

Thanks Coy, much appreciated.

scrmblr: does anyone ever visit S.C. intentionally if they don't live there?

Packrat

Just joining into the fun, but even as a Yankee Buckeye, I have to admit that I do really like to visit SC.

Columbia has a truly classy airport, and I have never had better red velvet cake than in S. C.

if hogs aren't pressured very much, i've had some luck patterning their movement and times with game cams. many years ago, when hogs were abundant, i killed them at the same place and within an hour of the same time every evening for up to a week... many times over.

now they're educated. once they've been shot at, anything can disrupt their behavior... road noise, farm activity - anything. in the last several years i've shot into many small herds ONCE, only to never see them again. well, maybe i've seen them 6 months or a year later a few miles away.

often friends tell me i should save the babies for something to hunt later. i can't do it. i think i've said before; stopping the trigger finger to me is like stopping a golf swing after it's started down. i just don't have that much self control. if i over hunt an area and it dries up, i look elsewhere. by my own fault, there aren't many hogs close by to shoot anymore. but i wouldn't trade any of the hogs i've stacked up in the past just so i can shoot them later. anything can happen to hogs where i won't get another chance, so i take all opportunities when i can. crops also dictate where hogs might be. if they've been hitting a particular field, i'll hunt it hard if i know it will be harvested soon. if harvesting leaves a lot of grain on the ground, it might even get better.

killing them off a feeder may last quite a while or they could disappear after one shot. my guess is that it depends on how far they travel to the feed and what alternatives they have, along with the pressure of other activities in the area. if you want to save the spot for future kills, i'd hunt it from as far as possible with a suppressed rifle. use night vision or feeder lights if they're coming out after dark. get in and out out quietly.

i wouldn't put much faith in odor killing products. put the wind in your favor or risk spooking them before you get a shot... or maybe before you even see them. if i know hogs are in the area but not showing up when i'm there, i would get creative with hog calls. i've tried calls about a dozen times and it worked once - boar fight. i used it because i could hear them fighting in the brush already.

pakk - if all you want are pics, i've got lots of them... from the old days when i wasn't such a has been. not sure if you're ready for that though. it's quite impressive and i'd hate for you to have to compliment me.

long%20range_zpsskgwjgpi.jpg

I started out shooting them under the feeder then figured out if you would intercept them before they got to the feeder they would still go the feeder but by a different route. Shooting them at the feeder only trained the survivors that there was danger with free feed.

I've got a friend that shoots a 22 Magnum with a suppressor and he swears that you can shoot every hog at the feeder if none of them squeals. He has a picture of 14 at one time. His blind is 100 yards away. If one of them squeals then the whole sounder heads to the brush and don't come back for several months.

Nice hog dj!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.