In The Ribs

BlackSS---Although there is no season or bag limit on hogs, Texas does require a nonresident to have a hunting license. If you are going just for hogs there is a $48 license that is good for 5 days or you can buy a yearly license for $132. I buy the $48 one when I go down to visit the folks in San Antonio so I can get a hog or two while I'm down there.

In Oklahoma there is no-limit, year around hunting on hogs. No hunting licence required except during deer season. Check in cragslist in Oklahoma I'm sure you can run across a farmer that needs someone to hunts some hogs. Most want charge you a dime but a nice tip to help the farmer out wouldn't hurt. I live on my 300 acre farm here in Oklahoma but the hogs come and go around here. They will hang around the creek bottoms during the dryer times making them harder to hunt than most think. I've trapped, hunting and have shot many. I've shot 16 nice boars from my front porch over the last 3 yrs but paying to hunt hogs is a little tricky because if you find a good hunting place with a good guide you will have an chance to shoot one. But there are many places out their that just don't either have the high number of hogs or pray on hunters that are inexperienced at hunting them just for the money. If it's a free range place I wouldn't pay unless I was guarantee in a price range of $200 to $300. Trophy ranches are going to run you from $300 to $500+ but I wouldn't pay unless there was an guarantee. Hogs are major problems for farmers/ranchers all across the Southern States. millions to billions dollars in damages each year so you should be able to find a place with minimal cost.
Go to www.wildlifedepart.com and you can read licence requirments and some info about wild hogs.

Good, honets advise is getting hard to find. We have lots of hogs in Louisiana too and some folks want to make money on them but most folks just want to have em killed. The Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries can put you in touch with a game warden who knows where you can go. Most deer hunting leases are over run with hogs cause of all the corn that is put out there for the deer. The big timber companies have people who know some of these places a hog hunter would be welcome too.

I moved down to TX 2 years ago, and have heard all about what a terrible nuisance the wild hogs are, and have seen many dead on the side of the road. What really irks me is that there are a lot of people yackin' their jaws about how bad they are, but want to charge a hefty price for somebody to come "help" their situation. Now I'm all for free enterprise, and making a buck with the resources on your property, but for crying out loud--if they're not pests enough for you to charge less than $100 to come shoot them, then SHUT UP ABOUT IT!!!!!

*rant off*

That being said, I did see some up on the Red River on public land, but didn't have time to get a shot off. So they're out there, and you just need a general "hunting license" to go after them. As someone else stated on here, I wouldn't pay to hunt them unless there was a guarantee and/or the guide supplied night vision and a semi-auto .308.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.