In the Ear? Really???

you're doing a fine job as newly appointed thread-master. if i may add one thought... this is a blood thirsty crowd, so remember to get a pic of the gorey side once in a while. extra kudos for exit wounds!

pakk - if all you want are pics, i've got lots of them... from the old days when i wasn't such a has been. not sure if you're ready for that though. it's quite impressive and i'd hate for you to have to compliment me.

long%20range_zpsskgwjgpi.jpg

DJ - Nice hog and during daylight for a change. As far as antique pictures, bring em on! As far as compliments, I do try not to comment on your obvious failings, which in itself is a form of compliment. Well sometimes, I don't bring them up, but it gets difficult sometimes NOT to bring them up!!

First time I've used the WIFI and it seems to be working. Got North of Salt Lake City and finally shut it down for the night. Just taking the long way to Wash. and in no hurry. Kids and family not flying in til late this week so have the time.

Stopped last night in Mesquite, NV and hit several almost consecutive Jackpots so now carrying about $14,000.00 in $100.00 Dollar bills, in cash. Need to find a bank tomorrow. Go ahead djones ask for a picture! I asked for a check, but the night manager didn't have the authority to sign a check.....????? Must not trust him that much. Wonder what happens if someone hits a BIG progressive Jackpot? I can just see someone getting paid out for a $100,000.00 or larger Jackpot in cash.

Just one of those times when I held the King of Hearts and drew a Royal Flush with the other 4 cards. Was a very productive hour and a half. Did stuff like that several times throughout the time I was there. Will probably never happen again, but for awhile last night I had the Midas touch.

Will check back in later in the trip, don't know when.

Packrat

DJ - Nice hog and during daylight for a change. As far as antique pictures, bring em on! As far as compliments, I do try not to comment on your obvious failings, which in itself is a form of compliment. Well sometimes, I don't bring them up, but it gets difficult sometimes NOT to bring them up!!

First time I've used the WIFI and it seems to be working. Got North of Salt Lake City and finally shut it down for the night. Just taking the long way to Wash. and in no hurry. Kids and family not flying in til late this week so have the time.

Stopped last night in Mesquite, NV and hit several almost consecutive Jackpots so now carrying about $14,000.00 in $100.00 Dollar bills, in cash. Need to find a bank tomorrow. Go ahead djones ask for a picture! I asked for a check, but the night manager didn't have the authority to sign a check.....????? Must not trust him that much. Wonder what happens if someone hits a BIG progressive Jackpot? I can just see someone getting paid out for a $100,000.00 or larger Jackpot in cash.

Just one of those times when I held the King of Hearts and drew a Royal Flush with the other 4 cards. Was a very productive hour and a half. Did stuff like that several times throughout the time I was there. Will probably never happen again, but for awhile last night I had the Midas touch.

Will check back in later in the trip, don't know when.

Packrat

Packrat,

With a run of luck like that, you should have purchased a lottery ticket!

If your travels take you up I-5, the Columbia Inn in Kalama, WA has the best New England clam chowder I've tasted. If you have some time to kill, head east out of Portland on I-84. There are a number of beautiful waterfalls in the Columbia River Gorge that are worth a stop if you have time. And if you have even more time to spend, Sharrod's Point on Larch Mountain is definitely worth a stop since you can see 6 mountain tops from the Point on a clear day. I can't wait to get back out there.

Packrat,

With a run of luck like that, you should have purchased a lottery ticket!

If your travels take you up I-5, the Columbia Inn in Kalama, WA has the best New England clam chowder I've tasted. If you have some time to kill, head east out of Portland on I-84. There are a number of beautiful waterfalls in the Columbia River Gorge that are worth a stop if you have time. And if you have even more time to spend, Sharrod's Point on Larch Mountain is definitely worth a stop since you can see 6 mountain tops from the Point on a clear day. I can't wait to get back out there.

scrmblr, those areas are my old stomping grounds and will be doing the I-84 in reverse from Pendleton, OR. Will check back later, losing battery and no outlets to plug into.

Packrat

I'm probably going to get chastised for relaying this, but I didn't take a shot on piglets last night when I had the chance.

I went to my hunting spot about 11:30 pm, and saw a number of piglets in the clearing. I watched them for a while waiting for mommy pig or daddy pig to come out, but they never showed up. Since I've scared off the big hogs from too much pressure at this spot, I didn't want to scare off any more big hogs from the area. I didn't think that shooting a piglet was worth it.

I put out 150 pounds of corn to keep the hogs interested in the spot. I'll be back out tonight to see what shows up.

My depredation permit expires on the 30th of August, so I'll be back out tomorrow night. My friend that owns the property told me that the DNR agents may not issue another depredation permits until after deer season is over since they are extremely concerned with deer poaching. We have one of the longest deer seasons in the country. Rifle opens up 9/1 and runs through 1/1/2016. Not sure what I will do with myself if I can't hunt hogs at night until 2016!

I went hog hunting with SCMaleRn last night. My depredation permit expires tonight, but I cannot hunt the property on Sunday's.

The hog hunting gods did not smile on us last night. We only had one hog come out to the clearing. As soon as I hit the spotlight, he took off. ScMaleRn attempted a shot on the running hog but missed.

I spoke with my friend this afternoon, and he is confident that he can get another permit this week. Our rifle season for deer starts Tuesday, so the DNR guys have expressed an unwillingness to issue permits. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

DNR I'm also a member of DNR...........does not remember!

I've got that too! I don't remember telling my wife that I wanted to visit every baby store in town this past Sunday, but she swears that I did.

I feel kinda lost right now. There are hogs that need killing, and I'm without a permit. Tomorrow morning is the opening day of our rifle season for deer. I'd be out in the woods, but I have to take my son to the DMV for his driving test for his license. I'm ready for the kid to take the next step towards adulthood (i.e. Not having to drive him everywhere) so I'll miss opening day.

I've got that too! I don't remember telling my wife that I wanted to visit every baby store in town this past Sunday, but she swears that I did.

I feel kinda lost right now. There are hogs that need killing, and I'm without a permit. Tomorrow morning is the opening day of our rifle season for deer. I'd be out in the woods, but I have to take my son to the DMV for his driving test for his license. I'm ready for the kid to take the next step towards adulthood (i.e. Not having to drive him everywhere) so I'll miss opening day.

After he gets his license be sure you are laying down when your next auto insurance statement arrives.

This morning's trip to the DMV was a bust. Today (9/1/15) is the first day that the new form for proof of driver's education is accepted. The old form, which my son has, is no longer accepted. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but my plan was to have him pass his driving test today and drive himself to school tomorrow so I could go on an early morning deer/hog hunt. Hopefully we can get to the DMV tomorrow afternoon so I can go on a hunt on Thursday morning.

Well, service is over, so now time to think about the future. Still having moments of disorientation, I guess it would be called. Sometimes it hits me from a word, a smell or even a place we had been before. Still kind of tough!

My son says I need to prepare a bucket list of what I want to do now.

I guess the first step, since I have no idea of what he's talking about, is that I have to go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a bucket! Wonder if Plastic is OK, or if it needs to be Galvanized. Guess I'm so out of date with present day expressions, that I was too embarrassed to ask what he meant.....Sigh!

He also said I need to become more up to date with electronic options. I told him that I had bought a Laptop, what else did I need? He mumbled something about E-phones or I-pads or something and setting up my own Blog.....To me a Blog was something that crawled out of a swamp. They definitely want me to log my travels.

Got a feeling the future is going to be interesting, as well as a lot major changes, besides those that have already occurred.

Will check in ever so often and more so than in the immediate past. Glad to see some are still posting to keep the site active.

Packrat

Well, service is over, so now time to think about the future. Still having moments of disorientation, I guess it would be called. Sometimes it hits me from a word, a smell or even a place we had been before. Still kind of tough!

My son says I need to prepare a bucket list of what I want to do now.

I guess the first step, since I have no idea of what he's talking about, is that I have to go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a bucket! Wonder if Plastic is OK, or if it needs to be Galvanized. Guess I'm so out of date with present day expressions, that I was too embarrassed to ask what he meant.....Sigh!

He also said I need to become more up to date with electronic options. I told him that I had bought a Laptop, what else did I need? He mumbled something about E-phones or I-pads or something and setting up my own Blog.....To me a Blog was something that crawled out of a swamp. They definitely want me to log my travels.

Got a feeling the future is going to be interesting, as well as a lot major changes, besides those that have already occurred.

Will check in ever so often and more so than in the immediate past. Glad to see some are still posting to keep the site active.

Packrat

The offer for southern hospitality still stands if you make it down this way! My grandfather passed away a month ago and I've got a good friend fighting cancer, so I've started my bucket list. I'm 42, so hopefully I'm not even halfway done with my life, but I figured I'd start early. Of course, a 400 + pound hog is at the top of my bucket list. I want to see the Northern Lights, drive across Australia, and visit Lake Maracaibo in Venezuela to see the lighting strikes. That's all I've got so far, but the list will get much longer.

The last time I went hog hunting by myself, the sky was clear and there was no moon to see. There were more stars out than I could ever hope to count. I must have stood there for about 5 minutes just looking up at the sky taking it all in. I feel sorry for the people that live in big cities that never get to experience the unpolluted view of the night sky. For a few minutes, hog hunting became an afterthought, but then I heard a pig squeal and decided he needed to die. So I went and shot him.

The offer for southern hospitality still stands if you make it down this way!

scrmblr, Appreciate the offer, just holding out to see if the offer gets better! So far Chicken Bog and Ribs don't justify an extra 800 mile drive. Also, not sure that from a western perspective, you qualify as being "Southern". Seems you would be more "Eastern".

Just got a call from Exec VP from the company I retired from. They just found out about Barbara and would like me to come into the Western office an talk about maybe going back to troubleshoot for the company. After I called the German parent companies CFO a F**#ing idiot, to his face, and walked out of the meeting, surprised they even consider it. They must be in deep **** to want me back.

Don't hurt to talk to them since I'm already close to the Western office. I told them management by intimidation wouldn't work here, like it does in Europe. Heard they had a 30% employee turnover in the last 2 years.

Scrmblr, the dynamics may have just changed, if they are willing to pay mileage, in addition to my outrageous hourly consulting rate, so may get to S.C. after all! Start researching out of State hunting licenses!!!!! In fact, all of you start checking out temp licenses, no telling where I might end up.

Got to go, B'day party for youngest Great grandson. Probably be back tomorrow!

Packrat

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.