In the Ear? Really???

Well, if hot dogs won't tempt you to come to SC, how about pork BBQ? Around here, BBQ is cooked with vinegar based sauces. Good stuff!
anything involving pork will require a pic, or it didn't happen

Does anyone have experience in going after big hogs and having them disappear after receiving hunting pressure? I cannot think that it is a coincidence that the big ones disappeared after getting shot at a few times. There are tons of little ones waiting to get shot, but I think that is because they don't have the experience that the big ones have acquired.

without any recent pics, i would't claim to have experience in anything, but i suspect you already know what's going on. nothing like getting shot at a few times to make pigs take up residence elsewhere; especially the biggest and smartest ones.

anything involving pork will require a pic, or it didn't happen

without any recent pics, i would't claim to have experience in anything, but i suspect you already know what's going on. nothing like getting shot at a few times to make pigs take up residence elsewhere; especially the biggest and smartest ones.

In SC, pork is the meat of choice for BBQ. You can BBQ other meats, but if you ask for a BBQ plate, it is assumed that you want pork.

You can find vinegar and pepper style BBQ in the eastern part of SC, mustard based BBQ in the central portion of the state or the "Midlands", heavy tomato based BBQ in the western portion of the state, and light tomato based BBQ in the northern portion of the state.

One will typically find a buffet style presentation, with pork BBQ, ribs, chicken, and about 30 side dishes.

One of the more famous places around here is Schoolhouse BBQ in Scranton, SC. As the name implies, the restaurant is house in an old school. I've been there several times, and always leave about 10 pounds heavier then when I arrived.

Attachments

• buffet14.jpg
    buffet14.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 44
I went out last night with the primary intention of putting out corn for a hunt for tomorrow night. Since I was there, I thought I'd see about a quick hunt. I rounded the bend in the road and used my red spotlight to determine if there was anything in the field or by the feeder.

I saw the reflection of a pair of eyes from below the feeder. They were pretty far off the ground, so I thought that I was going to get a hog! Unfortunately, when I looked through my rifle scope, I saw the biggest raccoon I've ever seen standing on the ground directly below the feeder. Talk about a buzz kill...

bet that got the heart pumping. however, hogs eyes don't glow in the light. i've seen them glow from a game cam with ir flash and from ir light using night vision, but they don't reflect back in visible light. fyi... same with people

Just a quick check in......Friends and relatives flying into Washington late this coming week from all over the states. Coordinating housing, motels, etc keeping me busy which is a good thing for now. Will be leaving Arizona for Washington Monday Morning heading North to finalize the situation for Saturday. We had to postpone memorial service until everyone, particularly grand kids could coordinate to be off work and arrange air or other transportation. I had Barbara, my wife, flown home yesterday.

My son still here with me, but flying home tomorrow to assist from that end. Don't know what I would do without family support. Going to stay in Washington to help son with new house renovations for a while before taking off for parts unknown. Kids and others have requested that as I travel I keep a Journal and set up a Blog so they can follow my travels. Will have to see.

Almost have my new Laptop trained so it does what I tell it, as opposed to the first few days I had it. I think at first it thought it was the boss!

Will check in periodically and maybe when I start my travels, will post here as I go. Just don't know yet.

Thanks for all the support from all of you,

Packrat

bet that got the heart pumping. however, hogs eyes don't glow in the light. i've seen them glow from a game cam with ir flash and from ir light using night vision, but they don't reflect back in visible light. fyi... same with people

I know that but I was so pumped about the prospects of shooting a hog that it completely slipped my mind. I'm headed out tonight after the baby goes to bed. Hopefully the fat raccoon stays away and the hogs show up.

Just a quick check in......Friends and relatives flying into Washington late this coming week from all over the states. Coordinating housing, motels, etc keeping me busy which is a good thing for now. Will be leaving Arizona for Washington Monday Morning heading North to finalize the situation for Saturday. We had to postpone memorial service until everyone, particularly grand kids could coordinate to be off work and arrange air or other transportation. I had Barbara, my wife, flown home yesterday.

My son still here with me, but flying home tomorrow to assist from that end. Don't know what I would do without family support. Going to stay in Washington to help son with new house renovations for a while before taking off for parts unknown. Kids and others have requested that as I travel I keep a Journal and set up a Blog so they can follow my travels. Will have to see.

Almost have my new Laptop trained so it does what I tell it, as opposed to the first few days I had it. I think at first it thought it was the boss!

Will check in periodically and maybe when I start my travels, will post here as I go. Just don't know yet.

Thanks for all the support from all of you,

Packrat

These times are difficult. My grandfather passed away two weeks ago and we are in the process of looking at schedules for a service. It will probably be later this fall so everyone has time to make travel plans. My grandfather was cremated and will be laid to rest next to my grandmother when we can all get together.

The reason most of us have never heard of this is that it supposedly tastes like the bottom of the swamp it is named after!...............:rolleyes:

Packrat

Packrat,

Do they have chicken bog out in AZ???

The history of chicken bog goes back to the 1800s in Horry Co. SC. In order to feed the slaves that worked on plantations, a dish was created that allowed for simplified preparation over cooking a number of individual meals. Slaves that were allowed to grow their own food combined veggies, meats, and spices in large pots that could simmer so the slaves could eat as time allowed. Word of the dish spread, and soon spread throughout the region.

If you can make to SC, I'll buy you hot dogs AND chicken bog!

Coy,
Don't know where you're getting your facts, but:

Chicken tastes great,

Pork tastes great,

Beef tastes great,

Fish tastes great,

Fowl tastes great..........

About the only thing I've found that doesn't taste all that great is half raw Rock Ape.

And speaking of taste, I once had to do a term paper for an organic Chemistry class. For lack of anything else, I found that organic carbon was being used in capsule form to affect brain function in hypertensive kids so proposed and proved, as much as possible without clinical trials, the hypothesis that because man was the only animal that given a preference, would burn or cook his food, that the changes incurred by the ingestion of organic carbon from burnt meat enhanced the evolutionary process by effecting changes within the brain structure, thereby accelerating the growth of the cognitive functions.

The instructor wrote across the top that it was the first time he hadn't been bored reading a paper in years.

True story!

scrmblr: No Chicken Bog or other kind of swamp here, just quicksand when the washes flood. However, when in Louisiana, we had Alligators and Snapping turtles. Will these count?

First night alone since the 13th. Am coping fine so far, with an occasional lapse. Got to be expected after 49 years of marriage.

Packrat

Went out late on the 21st to see if we could get a hog or two. Patrick and I rounded the bend in the road and saw over 20 hogs in the field. PATRICK took his .45-70 while carried an AR-15. In retrospect, I should have carried a larger caliber gun with me. Using a red hunting light, I saw there was a large hog moving from our left to our right at a distance of around 80 yards. I felt that Patrick had the better weapon for the large hog, so I held the light while he took the shot. The .45-70 absolutely slammed the hog. He dropped where he stood and was one of the easiest tracking jobs I've ever had. Weighed 248 lbs.

As I write this, it is 0325 hours. I've got to take my son somewhere in 3.5 hours. I usually don't do well on just a few hours sleep, but I think I can muster through any fatigue thinking about Patrick's hog.

Packrat- I'm so sorry for what you are going through. The loss of a loved one is never easy. Send me a pm for my phone number if you ever need to talk.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 45
scram,
that's a helluva hog. i think you picked the right weapon for that one.

i managed to get out for a little while too. a circle of corn is just too tempting… for both me and the hogs. i knew they were in there and had no reason to come out. a nice stiff wind kept the stalks blowing enough to cover my sound as i made my way through the 8' tall forest of corn. every stalk i stepped around offered a new view, even if for just a few feet. i had to carefully dissect every line of sight before taking another step, least i give up my position.

often times 90% of the animals are on 10% of the property. that held true for the corn circle. to give you an idea of just how painstaking this type of stalking can be, i started the nighttime maneuvers just after dark, roughly 10:00pm. about 4:30am i found them. no way to tell how many there were, but one area was trampled down pretty good and offered shots of up to three hogs, if i could fire fast enough.

of course i was thinking of my brothers here on the hog forum and tried to get the first one in the ear for the sake of nostalgia, but alas the old dj just ain't what he used to be. none the less, here are the results for your viewing pleasure.

cornhog_zpslxqxqeyx.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.