Too bad we can't just use the Funnel Method to solve these scope selection issues. You know. Dump everything in the top, and best choice comes out the bottom. It would save a LOT of time, and be a LOT less fun.
Yeah, that would be nice for making a quick decision but always fun playing chess with all the options.

If the Revic pmr 428 wasn't **** near 3 pounds I would go that route not even thinking. I would go that route still if they could shave off 15oz and make it in the low 30's. Unsure with all the logistics of doing such a thing but going from 56mm to 44mm and 28 power to 20 power had to do something for weight

So bigger tube has nothing to do with light gathering then?
So bigger tube has nothing to do with light gathering then?
I've definitely had scopes that have better light transmission and I mean apples to apples as far as quality of glass.. Schott glass in particular that to my eye and in my opinion was better (light transmission or other unknown factor I'm not 100% but better to me regardless) but I absolutely preferred the experience in a bigger tube whatever the reason may be. I've looked through the Swaro hunting scopes, they're incredible for what they are but I'd still take a wider tube scope over it hands down… my opinion only.

Last edited:
I had the same situation and settled on this. https://vortexoptics.com/razor-hd-lht-45-22x50-ffp+reticle-XLR-2~MOA
i got it from cabelas with a sale and a 10% off on their card ,so gor 1400, it was priced right.
Cannot yet write my thoughts but will be using this spring to see if it meets my expectations.
I have one and shot it all year last year on a ultralightweight hunting rifle in 25SST and I'm 50/50 on it to be honest. I like the reticle with the floating dot (mrad) and the glass is decent not great, the zero stop function I like conceptually but I wouldn't put it in top tier but to be fair for $1,500 it's a decent value. It is pretty lightweight. Low light isn't even close to others but again I'm comparing to higher priced scopes for the most part. Not as good glass as the VX-6 line (by a wide margin IMO) and I'm not a big Leupold fan other than my mark 5 7-35 which I do like a lot other than the 75 yard min parallax. It's still pretty stiff on the magnification ring after a year and a lot of trying to break it in and that's compounded shooting in the winter which makes it very stiff. If the turrets prove themselves I'll be happy with it as I've shot it a lot at the range but only taken it on two hunts in real field conditions.

I have one and shot it all year last year on a ultralightweight hunting rifle in 25SST and I'm 50/50 on it to be honest. I like the reticle with the floating dot (mrad) and the glass is decent not great, the zero stop function I like conceptually but I wouldn't put it in top tier but to be fair for $1,500 it's a decent value. It is pretty lightweight. Low light isn't even close to others but again I'm comparing to higher priced scopes for the most part. Not as good glass as the VX-6 line (by a wide margin IMO) and I'm not a big Leupold fan other than my mark 5 7-35 which I do like a lot other than the 75 yard min parallax. It's still pretty stiff on the magnification ring after a year and a lot of trying to break it in and that's compounded shooting in the winter which makes it very stiff. If the turrets prove themselves I'll be happy with it as I've shot it a lot at the range but only taken it on two hunts in real field conditions.
I have a vortex lht on my 6.5 PRC and the magnification ring on that is hard to turn and also tested Leupold out at a local shop and felt it was also stiff and Swarovski was really easy in comparison.

I have a vortex lht on my 6.5 PRC and the magnification ring on that is hard to turn and also tested Leupold out at a local shop and felt it was also stiff and Swarovski was really easy in comparison.
My vx6 is stiff too. They have a lever extended that comes with in the package but it seems like it doesn't need to be that stuff. I hunt all winter and i can manage it, but it's stiff.

swaro z5's are great but if you're not ripping out the zero stop you're getting 13.25 moa of elevation.
I use a z5 3.5-18 on my light 6.5 and a 5-25 on a little bolt 223 and you may
not even be able to get the 5-25 to zero on a 20moa rail I see them run out of adjustment on that setup regularly. 3.5-18 usually makes it but its fairly close.
great scopes, amazing glass, and super light

I just won a bidding on E bay of a Used , In the Box , all paperwork, never mounted , VX5HD 3 to 15 X with a 44mm Objective lens, 30mm Main tube, Illuminated cross hair. $1010.00 . This will make about 14 Leupold scopes over the past 50 years. I think this will be a good deer scope. The 2.5 to 8 X VX 3 with a 40mm Objective lens. will come off, and this 3 X to 15X will go on the Weatherby Ultralight rifle, in 270 Win. I will pack a 4.5 to 14X VX3 with a 30 mm main tube in my Hunting bins, in case I should need a backup scope due to damage, while on a hunt. I was bidding on the VX 6 3 to 18 X version, with the 50mm objective lens, but the bidding went to $1530.00, and I stopped bidding .

swaro z5's are great but if you're not ripping out the zero stop you're getting 13.25 moa of elevation.
I use a z5 3.5-18 on my light 6.5 and a 5-25 on a little bolt 223 and you may
not even be able to get the 5-25 to zero on a 20moa rail I see them run out of adjustment on that setup regularly. 3.5-18 usually makes it but its fairly close.
great scopes, amazing glass, and super light
Are they really only limited to 13.25 MOA? That's only 600-700 for most rifles.

Very interesting on the Swarovski Z5. Based on the info I'm reading it is probably not the best choice for LRH where shots will be stretching out beyond 500 yards. Their turrets seem to be their weak point from what I have gathered. Their glass is the selling point.

Very interesting on the Swarovski Z5. Based on the info I'm reading it is probably not the best choice for LRH where shots will be stretching out beyond 500 yards. Their turrets seem to be their weak point from what I have gathered. Their glass is the selling point.
Same with their ballistic program in the lrf bino's. Only reason I switched to Leica is due to a much better program and still good glass. Swaro is missing the mark all the way around here. It's like they are trying to tell us we know more about long range than you, and you are not capable. It's annoying. Leupold sort of does the same with the zl2 limited at 38 moa. However I can live with it since it puts me around 1500 yards.

Recent Posts