In Need of Expert Advice

Would you please tell us the energy/velocity of the 30/30@100yrds, cause if you are shooting a 7stw at 1000 I would say it is way more than needed for elk and far far beyond a 30/30@100. I bet there is many on here that would agree.
In both cases you've got a 170/180 grain bullet going around 1700 fps. So they would have nearly identical energy/velocity/momentum.

The reason people shoot .338s may vary, but you can't argue with their BCs. If you prefer a light caliber with more wind drift then the 7mm is for you.

I have personally shot an elk with a 7mm (280 Rem) at around 300 yards. Made a good shot to the vitals and never recovered the bull. Found some foamy "lung blood", trailed him for a mile or so. That bullet had "far far" more poop behind it at 300 than a 7 STW would at 1000, and it was not enough. I have also shot a bull at 100 yards with a 6mm and had similar results, except that somebody else put that bull down 100 yards later. This forum is about sharing opinions, and my opinion is that a 7mm is too light for elk at 1000 yards. I would not use one and I would not recommend it to others. I know others have different experiences and different opinions and they are welcome. If my wounded bulls make be a supporter of bigger guns then I am a proud supporter! My Duramax probably has more power than your S10 pickup too :D

In both cases you've got a 170/180 grain bullet going around 1700 fps. So they would have nearly identical energy/velocity/momentum.

The reason people shoot .338s may vary, but you can't argue with their BCs. If you prefer a light caliber with more wind drift then the 7mm is for you.

I have personally shot an elk with a 7mm (280 Rem) at around 300 yards. Made a good shot to the vitals and never recovered the bull. Found some foamy "lung blood", trailed him for a mile or so. That bullet had "far far" more poop behind it at 300 than a 7 STW would at 1000, and it was not enough. I have also shot a bull at 100 yards with a 6mm and had similar results, except that somebody else put that bull down 100 yards later. This forum is about sharing opinions, and my opinion is that a 7mm is too light for elk at 1000 yards. I would not use one and I would not recommend it to others. I know others have different experiences and different opinions and they are welcome. If my wounded bulls make be a supporter of bigger guns then I am a proud supporter! My Duramax probably has more power than your S10 pickup too :D

Your Durasmack also probably has washed cylinders and plugged injectors, too. LOL

I don't own an S-10. I daily drive a 550+ rwhp 1100+ rwtq Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 4x4.

But nice try at the attemp of making your oversized Isuzu sound impressive...:rolleyes:

I shot my cow elk at 225 yards with my .243 he went 50-75 yards and dropped over, Shot a spike at 110 yards with a 30/06 and he went 100 yards and dropped over , Shot my5x7 elk with my 30/06 at 200 yards and he fell with in 50 yards . All were heart/lung shots cutting the artery or heart and or lungs filled with blood, Actually recovered the 243 bullet because it bounced of the ribs on the opposite side, never recovered the 180gr .30 cal bullets , they went thru, never had to shoot that far but if I was shooting over 800 I would want the .338 Lapua.

I shot my cow elk at 225 yards with my .243 he went 50-75 yards and dropped over, Shot a spike at 110 yards with a 30/06 and he went 100 yards and dropped over , Shot my5x7 elk with my 30/06 at 200 yards and he fell with in 50 yards . All were heart/lung shots cutting the artery or heart and or lungs filled with blood, Actually recovered the 243 bullet because it bounced of the ribs on the opposite side, never recovered the 180gr .30 cal bullets , they went thru.

My point entirely... Shot placement is more important than what caliber you shoot.

Your Durasmack also probably has washed cylinders and plugged injectors, too. LOL

I don't own an S-10. I daily drive a 550+ rwhp 1100+ rwtq Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 4x4.

But nice try at the attemp of making your oversized Isuzu sound impressive...:rolleyes:
Cummins makes a great engine. Sorry to hear about the Dodge truck though, we all make bad decisions now and again.

7mm STWs are good for boys to shoot birds with. Maybe large squirrels at close range.

Cummins makes a great engine. Sorry to hear about the Dodge truck though, we all make bad decisions now and again.

7mm STWs are good for boys to shoot birds with. Maybe large squirrels at close range.

Yes, unfortunately it is wrapped in a Dodge, but atleast it still has a solid front end. Except for that suspension that was designed increase female sales (seriously, that's why it was invented, all jokes aside). :D

You can joke on my truck, but by joking on the STW, that is insulting Layne Simpson. And he was one of the greatest advocates towards improving this sport we all love...Long range shooting & hunting.

For elk at long range I would go straight for a big .338 and put a brake on it. .338 Lapua, .338 Ultra or .338-378 Weatherby are the ones I'd look at. With a quality brake and a fairly light rifle your recoil will be pretty similar to the .270. I just picked up an Accumark in .338-378 for extending my range on elk and I can't wait to get it dialed in. It's got a few fps on the other big .338s but its harder to find ammo, dies and brass when compared to the Lapua and Ultra.

At 1000 yards a 7mm STW has about the same velocity/energy as a 30-30 at 100 yards. Some people think that's enough gun, some don't. The big .338s at 1000 have the same power as a 50 caliber muzzleloader fired point blank.

The only drawback to having a brake (besides cost) is the noise, and if you've got time to set up for a 1000 yard shot I think you have time to put on some earmuffs.
I'm sorry but the fact is the 30-30 has killed more medium and large game at a hundred yards than all of the big 338's ever will at 1000yds.

The most experienced and successful Elk Hunter I have ever known shot all of his with a 7mm RM shooting Nosler Partitions and most of them were killed at Long Range.

I agree...More than enough.

Sounds like blah blah I'm a .338 supporter, who has no actual hands-on experience with the 7mm STW.

That's all I'm hearing. What about yall? :

I would own a .375 RUM before I would own another .338, just because of how sick to death I am about people thinking if you're shooting rabbits or bigger beyond 500 yards you need a .338.

I have lots of different calibers for the simple reason there is not a 1-size-fits-all caliber for both close and long range from squirrels to moose. But you ask your typical .338 shooter today (the trend-buyers, not true hunters with knowledge), and their answer is .338 Lapua.

:rolleyes:
A sure cure for cannonitis is some experience with either the 300wm and 7mm STW.

We're not talking about cape buffalo hunting here or elk wearing level 4 body armor.

The fact is, if you'd hit that elk right he'd be dead.

Shot placement is for more important than caliber.

If he were talking about a purpose built rife solely for big game at LR and ELR then the big .338's definitely have an advantage, but he's not.

Gotta love the truck competitions on a hunting/gun forum. I'm not a diesel boy, just don't have a need for it. I'll stick to my GMC 6.2L gasser which hauls the fam and groceries around with 430 rwhp. But I still have to add; my favorite opinion I ever heard was that Dodge trucks are great when they're new. Their Cummins engines are fast and easy to build up to do extreme things, they tow great and win races, you just better be sure to bring a few buckets to pick up all the crap that rattled off the truck during during that race.

Now with that said, back to the OP's question

I am looking to acquire a new rifle for long range hunting. I want a rifle that will be able to take trophy bull elk at long ranges. I currently shoot a Remington 700 chambered in .270 win. I have looked at .300 win mag but I am concerned about the recoil, I have a smaller frame (6'2" 160 lbs) so not sure if I would be able to handle it. So I am looking for input on what round and rifle model would be a good combo. I've looked at newer 700s as well as Browning x-bolts, I'm not too sure if I should stick in the area or venture elsewhere. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I shoot a Browning A-bolt with the BOSS in 7mm Rem mag and find it to be very capable and accurate. Recoil is not a problem for me at 6' 170 lbs. I've shot the .30 cals and do find them to be a little heavier on the recoil, even braked, but nothing that would have made me toss the gun aside forever. They can very well be tame enough for you, you just have to decide for yourself on this one.
And to reiterate; it's all about shot placement. I've killed whitetails with bow and arrow, I've also lost them when hit "perfectly" with the 7mm Rem mag. Choose something you can shoot well, that you shoot often and are confident with at your desired range.

I'm sorry but the fact is the 30-30 has killed more medium and large game at a hundred yards than all of the big 338's ever will at 1000yds.

The most experienced and successful Elk Hunter I have ever known shot all of his with a 7mm RM shooting Nosler Partitions and most of them were killed at Long Range.
Take the 30-30 comparison how you will, but it was not intended as an insult to anyone or anything. It's just a factual comparison. I figured most people have a good idea of what 30-30 power is at 100 yards, same with a .50 ML.

by joking on the STW, that is insulting Layne Simpson. And he was one of the greatest advocates towards improving this sport we all love...Long range shooting & hunting.
The STW is a great cartridge, no argument from me on that one. It has to be the first insanely overbore cartridge out there, paving the way for many of the Ultramags and popular wildcats we have today. It may be the best deer caliber for long range that exists. I just have the opinion that it's too light for elk and moose at 1000 yards, based on my personal experiences with bullets of that size.

Sounds like blah blah I'm a .338 supporter, who has no actual hands-on experience with the 7mm STW.
...ask your typical .338 shooter today (the trend-buyers, not true hunters with knowledge), and their answer is .338 Lapua.
:rolleyes:
Since "actual hands-on experience" is required in order to voice an opinion here why don't you share your experiences shooting elk with the 7mm STW. I know it has been successfully used at long range on elk by plenty of people but I'd love to hear your stories so that I know you're a "true hunter with knowledge" instead of just another internet know it all. I've put bullets into only 3 elk, which is a very small amount compared to many people around here. Twice with a .280, once with a 6mm. In each case the bulls did not die as quickly as I would have liked, and 2/3 of the time the elk was not recovered by me. In contrast I've shot probably 6-8 mule deer with a .280 or .270 WSM and those animals died very quickly. That's the reaction I want when I shoot an elk, hence my opinion that a .338 is better suited for that size of game.

Get you a 7mm Remington mag, shoot the 168vlds, and don't worry about not having enough gun. If you want some real world experience I have killed bulls at extended distance with one shot one kill DRT. Put one right behind the shoulder and it will be impossible for the animal to live. I don't care how magically tough some think elk are, the truth is that nothing can live without a heart or lungs, period. If it runs and you cannot find him you did not hit him a well as you think you did, period! If you want a bit more MV get a STW or LRM maybe even shoot the 180s a little faster. At the elevation that most hunt elk, shooting the 168s out of a 7RM At 3000fps you will be producing close to 1500ft/lbs of kinetic energy and still have velocity just under 2000fps at 1000yrds. This is more than enough for a ethical kill, all you will have to do is do your part and place the bullet just behind the shoulder. If you don't it's not the size of the bullet that didn't kill the animal, it's the fact you didn't have a point of impact that you wished you did or thought you should of!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.