In Need of Expert Advice

DougDownRange

I am looking to acquire a new rifle for long range hunting. I want a rifle that will be able to take trophy bull elk at long ranges. I currently shoot a Remington 700 chambered in .270 win. I have looked at .300 win mag but I am concerned about the recoil, I have a smaller frame (6'2" 160 lbs) so not sure if I would be able to handle it. So I am looking for input on what round and rifle model would be a good combo. I've looked at newer 700s as well as Browning x-bolts, I'm not too sure if I should stick in the area or venture elsewhere. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am looking to acquire a new rifle for long range hunting. I want a rifle that will be able to take trophy bull elk at long ranges. I currently shoot a Remington 700 chambered in .270 win. I have looked at .300 win mag but I am concerned about the recoil, I have a smaller frame (6'2" 160 lbs) so not sure if I would be able to handle it. So I am looking for input on what round and rifle model would be a good combo. I've looked at newer 700s as well as Browning x-bolts, I'm not too sure if I should stick in the area or venture elsewhere. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

What is long range for you? Someone's long range may be 300-400 yards while others on here may be 1000 yards. This will impact the type of round you will need to shoot and how accurate of a rifle you will need.

I'd suggest you look at the 7STW. My son's 7STW holds eight inch groups at 1K - that should be enough for your long range elk challenges. If that's heavier recoil than you want to work with you could set one up with a muzzle brake. You may have heard that muzzle brakes are loud and disturbing, and they certainly are louder than a typical muzzle report, but they are available in all shapes and sizes and if you select a model with moderate brake capability (and therefore not quite so loud) you may find it to suitable for your needs.

Why not just get the .300WM and put a nice Holland brake on it. It will recoil about the same as your .270 or less.

I'd suggest you look at the 7STW. My son's 7STW holds eight inch groups at 1K - that should be enough for your long range elk challenges. If that's heavier recoil than you want to work with you could set one up with a muzzle brake. You may have heard that muzzle brakes are loud and disturbing, and they certainly are louder than a typical muzzle report, but they are available in all shapes and sizes and if you select a model with moderate brake capability (and therefore not quite so loud) you may find it to suitable for your needs.

I love my two 7STW's. I highly recommend the caliber, as well.

Doug I'm not a great big guy either but I shoot the 7mm STW, 300WM, 300 Rum, and 375 Ruger. I don't have any expert advice but I do have a lot of experience and I'm happy to share it.

All of them can be extremely tolerable recoil wise with a good recoil pad like the Limbsavers and a good Muzzle Brake.

I have the North West PRecision Muzzle brakes on each of those calibers and it has tamed them to the point they are flat out a pleasure to shoot. They are also far easier blast and noise wise on the shooter of all of the side discharge brakes I have tried while giving excellent recoil reduction and reduction in muzzle flip. With it you can see your impacts easily from 300yds on out and less if you manage recoil well.

The 7mm STW will kill anything in North America with east to 600yds, all day, every day, and twice on Sundays and it is the least of those listed all things being equal of all of them.

If weight is not a big issue for you pick up a Weatherby Accumark or Remington Sendero in 7mm STW add the brake and pad and you're off to the races.

The most accurate rifles I own are a M70 Sharphsooter in &mm STW and a heavy custom in 7mm STW built on a Montana 199 action (basically a beefed up Winchester CRF action ) and both are a dream to shoot.

My next most accurate rifle is a Model 70 classic stainless in 300wm. I can punch pie plates with any of the three in excess of 800yds anytime the conditions are good and a fair bit further when they are ideal.

If you can find a Sharpshoter in 7mm STW you will have the best of all worlds because it weighs in at about 7.5lbs. They are rare but they can be had.

My next most accurate

What is long range for you? Someone's long range may be 300-400 yards while others on here may be 1000 yards. This will impact the type of round you will need to shoot and how accurate of a rifle you will need.
I want a rifle that will go to 1k yards. One I can take backpacking on a mountain hunt to going up in the Yukon for bull moose.

For elk at long range I would go straight for a big .338 and put a brake on it. .338 Lapua, .338 Ultra or .338-378 Weatherby are the ones I'd look at. With a quality brake and a fairly light rifle your recoil will be pretty similar to the .270. I just picked up an Accumark in .338-378 for extending my range on elk and I can't wait to get it dialed in. It's got a few fps on the other big .338s but its harder to find ammo, dies and brass when compared to the Lapua and Ultra.

At 1000 yards a 7mm STW has about the same velocity/energy as a 30-30 at 100 yards. Some people think that's enough gun, some don't. The big .338s at 1000 have the same power as a 50 caliber muzzleloader fired point blank.

The only drawback to having a brake (besides cost) is the noise, and if you've got time to set up for a 1000 yard shot I think you have time to put on some earmuffs.

Would you please tell us the energy/velocity of the 30/30@100yrds, cause if you are shooting a 7stw at 1000 I would say it is way more than needed for elk and far far beyond a 30/30@100. I bet there is many on here that would agree.

Just put a brake on the 300 what ever you decide shooting and be done with it ... the recoil will be like something smaller than what your shooting now. I would say 300WSM or the ultra mag with a brake . Ross Schulers brake works well 208-587-8993, Usually about $45

The 3000+fps 180 7mm bullet in the case of your choice will certainly do the job on your elk out to 1000yds. With a good brake and a Limbsaver pad recoil will be moderate. Buy some electronic earpro (in the ear is best for hunting, but muffs are better than no earpro at all- never shoot without it) and enjoy your rifle.

Would you please tell us the energy/velocity of the 30/30@100yrds, cause if you are shooting a 7stw at 1000 I would say it is way more than needed for elk and far far beyond a 30/30@100. I bet there is many on here that would agree.

I agree...More than enough.

Sounds like blah blah I'm a .338 supporter, who has no actual hands-on experience with the 7mm STW.

That's all I'm hearing. What about yall? :

I would own a .375 RUM before I would own another .338, just because of how sick to death I am about people thinking if you're shooting rabbits or bigger beyond 500 yards you need a .338.

I have lots of different calibers for the simple reason there is not a 1-size-fits-all caliber for both close and long range from squirrels to moose. But you ask your typical .338 shooter today (the trend-buyers, not true hunters with knowledge), and their answer is .338 Lapua.

:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.