IMR 4064 with Hornady SST 150gn in 30-06

Footsie80

Hey all, searched threads to no avail. I'm working up a medium game load with the above mentioned components and have found that Hornady's load data is roughly 3gn more for max load than every other reference. Quickload, Hodgdon and Nosler all show 52-53 as their max.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever loaded to ~55gn with this combo, or if it's an oversight by Hornady. Supplies are scarce, so I'd rather conserve where I can and make sure I'm not missing an accuracy node in the upper echelon.

Yes, I know, work up loads until you see signs of pressure. I'm specifically looking for anecdotal experiences.

Starline brass and Federal 210 LR primers make up the rest of the recipe.

Using the 30303 150gn SSTs my QL says max at ~54.5gn, not sure what settings you have entered on your side, maybe case volume or seating difference? The 30302 bullet shows a half a grain less for the max.
30-06 4064 ql.jpg

Superperformance powder has been relatively easy to find lately and works fine in my 30-06. I have a pencil barrel Browning A-Bolt that loves the 150s in general, but definitely with SP.

Yes - I have my cartridge length at 3.250, wanted to start at .040 over Hornady's recommended COL. That probably explains the difference as you have yours set at SAAMI max. I do have lots of room before hitting the lands and fitting the magazine I'm my Savage 110, so we'll see how testing goes and maybe bring my seating depth out some more if there are no pressure signs at 43.

Still relatively new at this, but my first workup for this rifle with 168gn monos went very well. Achieving 0.7-0.8" 3-shot groups near the top of the velocity threshold and I've only ever been a 5 shot per year guy up until I took up this hobby - so I'm definitely not a crackshot.

I think I can get W760 in town. My Savage has a small chamber though. I'm not able to load to SAAMI max length. With the SST I'm working with now a COAL of 3.276 is touching the lands and the CBTO is 2.652. At 52.5gn i still have a touch of capacity left, so if I'm not seeing pressure signs I'll keep tinkering. I was mostly just curious if anyone noticed the fairly big discrepancy between the bullet manufacturer and other sources, and whether they had ran up past 53 with this combination.