Improved casing

IMPROVED rounds have been on the scene for many year.
Most of the improved cartridges was developed by, MR. Parker O. Ackley.
By blowing out shoulders and taking a lot of the taper out of many cartridges he developed many improved versions of standard cartridges. One of the most popular is the 280 Rem. AI. When he got done with the development of this cartridge it became one of the most popular. It comes very close the 7mm RM velocity out of a standard length .470 bolt face action.
This cartridge allows a lighter rifle to be built with near same power of 7mm RM.

Thank you guys. Just curious on what i should do to my next build. Thinking about between a 7mm-300norma or a .338 lapua improved. Seen guys get 3500fps out of their 338 lapua improved. Since I'm a newer reloader I might have to watch some videos on annealing.

I run a .243AI with 115's at 3200 with a good bit of room left over. I could hit 3300fps if I pushed it. I've got 5-6 loadings on my brass and have only ever neck sized (I also run zero head space and a super tight chamber). Never had to bump shoulders or trim necks or body size and they still chamber and extract without a bunch of effort on the bolt. You can fire form the way I did by shooting normal non-ackley loads in an ackley chamber or use the malt-o-meal method. Either works just fine. You can also just use non-ackley loads if that's all that you have and it won't hurt anything.

You gain a few grains of case capacity which translates to a little velocity or to lower pressures. Also, the cases look really cool. I know we all care about that, don't deny it.

Shoulder bumping will require a special die if you end up needing or choosing to do that. My chamber is nuts tight and I run zero head space so with the 40deg shoulder and no case taper in the mix, I've never had to bother. My barrel is nearly done for now on round count. That's been really nice... neck size and go. The brass isn't even near its life expectancy either. I figure I should be able to get >10 loadings per case at this rate which means 2 barrels for one lot of brass. It's not a big savings but it's a savings.

Zero case taper and sharp shoulders mean for much less forgiveness in feeding and extraction which presents itself as decreased reliability. For me what that's actually amounted to is nothing at all. YMMV.

If you mag feed, note: my 10 round mags became 8 round mags because the case taper had been eliminated.

I run a .243AI with 115's at 3200 with a good bit of room left over. I could hit 3300fps if I pushed it. I've got 5-6 loadings on my brass and have only ever neck sized (I also run zero head space and a super tight chamber). Never had to bump shoulders or trim necks or body size and they still chamber and extract without a bunch of effort on the bolt. You can fire form the way I did by shooting normal non-ackley loads in an ackley chamber or use the malt-o-meal method. Either works just fine. You can also just use non-ackley loads if that's all that you have and it won't hurt anything.

You gain a few grains of case capacity which translates to a little velocity or to lower pressures. Also, the cases look really cool. I know we all care about that, don't deny it.

Shoulder bumping will require a special die if you end up needing or choosing to do that. My chamber is nuts tight and I run zero head space so with the 40deg shoulder and no case taper in the mix, I've never had to bother. My barrel is nearly done for now on round count. That's been really nice... neck size and go. The brass isn't even near its life expectancy either. I figure I should be able to get >10 loadings per case at this rate which means 2 barrels for one lot of brass. It's not a big savings but it's a savings.

Zero case taper and sharp shoulders mean for much less forgiveness in feeding and extraction which presents itself as decreased reliability. For me what that's actually amounted to is nothing at all. YMMV.

If you mag feed, note: my 10 round mags became 8 round mags because the case taper had been eliminated.

Awesome! Thank you for this input. Didnt know i could run non ackley rounds in an ackley chamber. Good to know.

This build is still a bit out, I'm still debating and need to research more.

Yup... Fire a non-ackley in an ackley chamber and the case becomes an ackley case. That's how the fire forming works. My .243AI shot the heck out of regular .243 ammo. the only difference was the resulting velocity.

Depending on your reamer, typically AI reamers are set up a little short because the length shortens after you fireform. It will say on the print max. Length I usually trim .005 short on max length on AI cartridges and .010 on non 30 deg. or less shoulder angles

I have a couple of 257 Bob A.I. 40 deg and a couple of 6.5/257 Bob A.I. 40s.
I form brass from 25-06 & 270. I leave the necks about .008-.010 long before fireforming. They always shrink for me
After the second firing they are perfect for trimming to spec.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.