Improved Cartridge Question

J E Custom is spot on in his post... I thought that the original post that started this thread was asking advice before the build, and that is how I based my intial response.
I may have worded it wrong. I was just tryin to ask if anyone felt I should use a little lighter bullet to take better advantage of the little extra capacity. The actuall build has long been in progress..... past the point of changing my mind.

Thanks for the replies! Sorry that I was kind of a smart ***. It seems like every time I post a question here, people seem more intent on bashin what I have or the questions I have then actually answering them. There is a ton of knowledge here and I would like to aquire some of that. I certainly dont expect answers but I do appreciate the ones I get. Maybe I took some of the replies the wrong way. Again, thanks!

J300,

I didn't mean to come across as "bashing". The other's are right, more case capacity is more case capacity. And maybe your smith wasn't out of line, I don't know what he was thinking. I just understand that the 300RUM is overbore anyway and couldn't see "improving" one. But it's not my gun. I read lots of things on these shooting BB's that I read and just shake my head and wonder "*** was that guy thinking?" or "WTH does he think he needs such heavy/light for caliber bulltes?" etc, etc. But it's just me not thinking the same way. As for the mag...hopefully you've got one that will allow you to seat the bullets out to touch the lands. If so, then you're using as much of the case capacity as you can. And I'd stick with 180s or 200s in the RUM for best results. Good luck.

I may have worded it wrong. I was just tryin to ask if anyone felt I should use a little lighter bullet to take better advantage of the little extra capacity. The actuall build has long been in progress..... past the point of changing my mind.

Personally I would use the heavier High BC bullets to take full advantage of the capacity and long range effectiveness
I am planing on building one off of the the 300 RUM or 338 Laupa case and I intend on shooting the 265 Grain Wildcat at or near 3000 FPS.. JonA reached these speeds with the 265 grainers in 27" barrel I believe and I am going to use a 30" tube..

JP475

Not hijacking the post but I built my 338 RUM on a Weatherby MK 5
action for that reason.The MK 5 action is .100" longer than other mag
actions so that I can use the 300gr SMKs seated long and still get
them in the magazine.

This also takes full advantage of the case capacity.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.