Importing a custom rifle to Oz??

apples

I have been bitten by the long range bug and after a bit of research I think that the 338 edge seems to be what I am after. It will be used for long work on sambar up in the high country, just doing opposite face hunting. Now my question for you guys who have been through this before is, what is my best option, do I try to find a good smith here and get it built in Oz? How difficult/expensive is it to import a custom rifle from the states? I am really taken by shawn carlocks rifles on his defensive edge site! I reckon one of his canyon rifles could be just the ticket. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers fellas

i built mine from a rem700 SPS 300winmag.

threw the original stock and barrel in the trash, put a HS precision stock and a custom barrel and brake from MAB (brisbane) chambered in 338edge. Much cheaper than importing from overseas.

Theres 2 problems when importing from the USA. Easiest way to get it out of the USA you have to pay a FFL exporter over there at least $300 to do all the paperwork and get the export permit to leave the country + freight charges on top of this. On this end you have to complete a form B709 (permission to import firearms) with customs. You also have to get your PTA from the police. Once you have BOTH he can send the rifle over and pay normal shipping charges. This whole process will take about 6 months and adds about $500 to the cost of the rifle.

So unless your importing something very expensive or special, its not really worth it because there are plenty of good gunsmiths here capable of building an accurate rifle, although they are more expensive than our USA counterparts is it worth $500 more and a 6 month wait is the key question. If your looking for some good gunsmiths here in OZ, i can point in the right direction for a long range tactical rifle... PM me if you like...

You forgot to mention TAX.

I was going to go with a build from Shawn, by the time I added it all up, I can build a bloody good cannon and slam a $2500 scope on top and I'm still under, what it would have cost all up and a lot quicker.

Shawn is 6 months out so you won't see the cannon until at least this time next year.

You forgot to mention TAX.

I was going to go with a build from Shawn, by the time I added it all up, I can build a bloody good cannon and slam a $2500 scope on top and I'm still under, what it would have cost all up and a lot quicker.

Shawn is 6 months out so you won't see the cannon until at least this time next year.

Who did you get to build your rifle? Happy with the end product?

John Giles is doing mine (338 EDGE), I ordered it last month and only waiting on barrel to come in. His build quality is exceptional.

PSECO Rifles Home

Another one is Grenfell Armouring Services, located in Bendigo. not sure on his lead time but he does excellent work too.

Grenfell Armouring Services

There is nothing wrong with Shawns rifles it just depends on wether you want to wait and pay a bit more or get one a bit earlier with exactly what you want on it. ie, Actions, Stocks, Barrels etc.

Hey Apples, i have parts for a 338 build if you are interested i have enough for two full rifles but i have decided to only have one built for now,PM me if your 100% interested it's all top shelf stuff and all you would need is an action you could have an edge in your hands in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the offer mate, but I actually just put a $2000 deposit down at aprs on a new edge. Bloody good offer though mate. Cheers

Just wanted to thank all the blokes here who have helped me out with my build info and all the pms. I have ordered an edge from aprs in sa. The price was pretty good and the service great. Now just got to wait the 12-16 weeks! Looks like the 300wsm isn't going to get mothballed just yet anyway!

Did you manage to get a bigger action, or did you just go with the predator?

Yep groper it's the stiller tac 30. The gun comes with a 1/2 inch guarantee so that's plenty good enough for me. Apparently they are building a couple of other edges at the moment so they should know what they're doing. Heard good things about them.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.