Importing a custom rifle to Oz??

Hi

I have an accurised Remington action 338 edge . It shoots and really comes into its own out wide
The action is blue printed and photos have been posted on this site by Top shot. Its actually featured in the new Australian Trophy Hunter magazine towards the back.. Part 2 is in next edition..

One thing you learn along the journey is the quality of the barrel and action is paramount. (The shooter and optics helps a lot as well) .

I hate to say it but the best barrels at the top of the tree in F class are made inthe US by cut rifling
Actually my 2nd built rifle in 7mm isnt that far away built on a Lawton 7000 this time. A new custom action makes sense. Go an action that will feed the Edge without comprimising bullet seating depth . Lets see how the ABS Carbon wrapped goes Special twist and lands have been specifed for this ultimate LR build since I already have a lovely Edge.

If its the best 338 Edge you want you need a gunsmith able to source the best components and top grade barrels.. Some barrels have a reputation for being soft. Importing is an option but there are traps if the paper work isnt completed properly then there is the GST etc..

Be prepared to wait at least 12 months...join the que but its worth waiting for. Speak to a gunsmiths who are winners themselves. !

I
Go local if you can as the import will not work out cheaper. Should an isue arise it can be sorted locally without export import permits. Unfortunately Cheap is not always the best. There are many good barrels but most unfortuantely must come from the US. Not every barrel is the same ... Look for Cut rifling as they seem to have an edge and are less stress affected

Last edited:
Well after 7 months of waiting my APRS built edge finally arrived at the local gun shop yesterday afternoon. It was a long process but worth it, the rifle looks the goods, I'm going to take it out this morning to see if it shoots just as well. So looks like a bit of playing around, sighting in etc. then it's off to the hills to see if it can kill anything!gun)

Okay now tell us the specs and will she shoot 1/2 MOA at 300! Just kidding but it is achievable!

Accuracy node was at 91 and 92gn of H1000(ADI 2217) with the 300SMK>

Dont expect too much to start with as you go through the run in process.. It should tighten up after a bit! I'd be curious to see how the Krieger performs..
What profile barrel ?

Okay now tell us the specs and will she shoot 1/2 MOA at 300! Just kidding but it is achievable!

Accuracy node was at 91 and 92gn of H1000(ADI 2217) with the 300SMK>

Dont expect too much to start with as you go through the run in process.. It should tighten up after a bit! I'd be curious to see how the Krieger performs..
What profile barrel ?

I know another bloke who has more or less the exact same rifle built by them and it is a shooter! 1/2 moa is guaranteed with the rifle so I expect to be able to achieve that with time. I don't think the gun will be the limiting factor, it will take a while for me to get used to it as it is my first true long range built rifle, previously I used a blaser in 300 win mag that would shoot under 1/2 moa all day long so I am quietly confident that this should be a good 900-1000 meter rifle. Should be ideal sambar medicine anyway! Cheers to the blokes who helped me out to start on my build!

Hey Signature, I picked my rifle up from Norm's tonight and he said that you had a couple of shots through it today. What did you reckon of it mate?

Its no good... I'll trade you a 700P 7mm rem mag and a fat duck for it.! Mind you that 700 P in 7mm rem mag on its first day out made scoring shots at 1,000 as well with 175 SMK's!

No just kidding it shot really well I managed to shoot a 5 inch group at 1,000 yards with it this morning...It will only get better...and that was my first effort behind the butt..

MMM trigger ws good (not a jewell but I dont think its the R/B LV1 either..) If it is the LV1 I think you could adjust it a touch lighter..

Nothing wrong with the build I really liked it ...... Now its up to you to do better!

Nice rifle....have me thinking of a new 338 rum.. Krieger barrel delivered..

Last edited:
That's good shooting mate, to just jump in behind a rifle you had never fired and bang a 5" 1000 yard group out! I've just got to spend some time behind the butt and we'll see what we can do. But 5" @1000 means she's plenty good enough for sambar out to that distance if not a fraction further, once I'm confident enough to make the hit everytime. Cheers

Wind is the enemy and dont expect to do this with a few cross gully breezes and up and down drafts, It was nearly perfect!
For Sambar .. personally keep it under 800 and use the new Gen 2 Bergers when they arrive. In fact I possibly wouldnt take the real long shot shot untill the new 300gn Mk 2 Berger arrives. If there is a 5mph wind swirling you will or should get closer. You will need to reshoot the rifle with this bullet and work up a load again. Mine used to shoot Gen 1 Bergers very well with 90gn of 2217.

90 to 92 with the 300gn bullets yields great accuracy! The SMK is a little upredicatble if you dont hit bone. Shoulder is a must with SMK in our tests.

A good 250gn bullet could also be sucessfully used ast higher speeds..Time behind the butt is not wasted and there are no flys on a high BC 250gn pill. Expansion is the issue out there.. Interbonds and Game Kings work well out wide if accuracy is there.

Wind is the enemy and dont expect to do this with a few cross gully breezes and up and down drafts, It was nearly perfect!
For Sambar .. personally keep it under 800 and use the new Gen 2 Bergers when they arrive. In fact I possibly wouldnt take the real long shot shot untill the new 300gn Mk 2 Berger arrives. If there is a 5mph wind swirling you will or should get closer. You will need to reshoot the rifle with this bullet and work up a load again. Mine used to shoot Gen 1 Bergers very well with 90gn of 2217.

90 to 92 with the 300gn bullets yields great accuracy! The SMK is a little upredicatble if you dont hit bone. Shoulder is a must with SMK in our tests.

A good 250gn bullet could also be sucessfully used ast higher speeds..Time behind the butt is not wasted and there are no flys on a high BC 250gn pill. Expansion is the issue out there.. Interbonds and Game Kings work well out wide if accuracy is there.

Don't worry mate, I won't be trying any real long shots until I have got the confidence to do so.

Apples,
I am not surprised that "Signature" offered to swap his Remington 7mm for it? That fat duck would have to lay golden eggs for it to be a fair swap.

You have a nice rifle there, just get plenty of practice and you will do well. Keep us informed on how you go and if you need any help just give me a call.

Cheers Norm.

Rifle is more than capable...Okay I'll throw in a T3 ! I knew I was a bit generous with the duck.

Nice build..... they did a good job at APRS

Thanks top shot, your help is much appreciated and no doubt will be called on again soon. Signature, I reckon I might still give her a miss even with the t3 thrown into the bargain mate. But yeah the guys at aprs did a good job and were very good to deal with, I'd highly recomend them to anyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.