I'm sending a letter to the teacher.

4ked Horn

I\'m sending a letter to the teacher.

My son (3rd grader) brought home a paper called "Why do bears attack campgrounds?" The first couple paragraphs were fairly accurate in describing the problem with campers leaving food out and whatnot in larger parks.

This however was the last paragraph:

"The black bears are in danger of becoming extinct. Each year more of their wilderness homes are destroyed. Some hunters kill more than the law allows. In the 1930's grizzly bears dissappeared. Unless people are more careful, the black bears will also be gone one day." (italics mine)

Anyone want to load me up with some numbers and other info to put in the letter that will return to the class with this homework?
stirthepot.gif

Re: I\'m sending a letter to the teacher.

sadly I have found that alot of teachers dont hunt. These somehow happen to be the ones that think they are perfect and you are just a teenager that thinks he knows it all instead of thinking on it first. The few times in my life that I was able to prove those techers wrong were some of the sweetest memories of my life. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In Oregon we have 30,000 bears in 40,000 square miles! Danger of becoming extinct? Ha!

black bears extinct, ha ha ha yah freaking right.

Look at british columbia, they got so many bears its unbelievable.

As was said about Oregon, we have no shortage of them either, as well as Washington...

Any websites with facts I can print out. Fish and Game type info? I'm going to be out of the house most of the rest of the evening and the homework is due tomorrow.

How do you think the teacher will like these apples? <font color="blue"> </font>

From the following link:
http://www.bearsinbc.com/pages/01black/01population.html

British Columbia's black bear population is currently at an historic high. The Wildlife Branch estimates that 120,000 to 160,000 black bears live in British Columbia, having increased from around 80,000 in 1870. (Demarchi 1999). This is nearly 30% of the 443,000 black bears in the Canadian population and approximately 15% of the 803,000 black bears in the North American population (Samuel and Jackson 2000).

The greater ability of black bears to adapt to human activities compared to that of grizzly bears has contributed to their success. Black bears have been trapped and hunted continuously by non-natives for nearly 200 years and by First Nations peoples for uncounted generations, yet populations persist in most areas. Black bears in some parts of the province may experience loss of forage as second-growth forests shade out berry producing plants and as large logs, root boles and stumps are lost for denning. These factors may lead to increased cannibalism and some localized population declines (Davis and Harestad 1996)

STATUS OF BLACK BEARS

North America

Black bears are the most common large carnivore in North America. At a recent black bear workshop for the U.S. and Canada, scientists concluded that black bears are long lived (20+ years), adaptable, highly mobile and more productive than previously thought. The current range of black bears includes all of the Canadian provinces and territories except Prince Edward Island, most of the continental United States in the less-settled forested regions and the northwestern mountains of Mexico.

Historically, black bears occupied most of North America except the treeless barrens of northern Canada and the desert regions of the southwestern United States and Mexico (Seton 1929). In Canada, black bears occupy 85% of their historic range (Kolenosky and Strathearn 1987). They have been displaced from the southern farmlands of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. In the United States, black bears have lost habitat wherever hardwood forests have been eliminated.

British Columbia

Black bears are Yellow-listed in BC, which means they are neither endangered nor vulnerable (see the risk category table below).* They are, however, classified as a "look-alike" species and are listed in Appendix II of the Convention on the International Trade of Endangered Species (CITES), to which British Columbia is a signatory. They are listed because individual black bears are highly variable in size and colour and some black bears are similar in appearance to some threatened or endangered species of world bears, such as the Malaysian sun bear. British Columbia and Ontario have the largest populations of black bears of all the provinces. In British Columbia, black bears are found throughout the province. They are the only large mammal in the province that occupies every ecosection.

* The Glacier or blue bear of Tatshenshini-Alsek Provincial Park has been placed on the Blue List, which contains species that are considered vulnerable or sensitive to human activities or natural events, or are species for which information is too limited to allow designation in another category (Harper 1994).

Ah yeah, I love socking it to a bunny hugging teacher!!! ~JT

I live in Black Bear Country. Each year our licenses give us Bear, Deer, and turkey tags. Most hunters only use the deer. Probably less than 1/2 use the turkey and I'd be shocked if 20% use the bear tag.

I cant stand when people talk crap about things they nothing about. They should witness an animal hit by a car that lays there in agony suffering a slow death while the turkey vultures start picking at it while it is still alive.

Here's a link to species at risk in Alberta. You'll notice that black bear is NOT on the list. I find this stuff so unbelieveable, it just shows how uneducated some people are.

In the mountains west of Calgary, you're likely to have more run ins with Mr. Grizz than anything else sometimes. So if Black Bears are at risk, then the Grizzlies we see must be extinct. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Alberta Species At Risk

Thanks guys for the help and support. I found the majority of the info on the net about bear populations long and a bit dry.

.25AOD the info you gave would have been perfect if it just had some sort of before and after numbers. Thanks again for the time you took to help.

This is what I composed that will be going to school with my son. The son of a man who will bein the hills of Idaho this afternoon taking part in the balanced regulation of our black bear populations. I hope I get a fatty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

From the homework sheet sent home with Tanner titled "Why do bears attack campgrounds?" I saw this paragraph:

"The black bears are in danger of becoming extinct. Each year more of their wilderness homes are destroyed. Some hunters kill more than the law allows. In the 1930's grizzly bears disappeared. Unless people are more careful, the black bears will also be gone one day."

The fact of the matter is that this paragraph, along with the rest of the paper was not presented as fictional, however this paragraph does not contain a single true statement.

Black bears are not recognized as endangered or threatened or even unhealthy in their population in either Canada or the United States. Factually the populations are reduced from time to time to maintain a healthy balance. There is no sign that the black bear is going to become extinct at any foreseeable point in the future.

The black bears wilderness homes are not being destroyed. Wilderness, by definition, is an unpopulated or sparsely populated area. Urban sprawl has no effect on wilderness habitat. The habitat that is being populated by humans currently also supports bear populations as pointed out in the first several paragraphs of this homework. As evidenced by many reports and modern game management techniques the bear population is healthier that it has ever been in recorded history in spite of increased human populations.

People that kill more bears than the law allows are not "hunters". They are poachers, criminals, thieves and often trespassers. These semantics aside, the effect they have on bear populations is not significant today now that proper regulations are in place. This sentence is here for the sole purpose of painting hunters in a negative light. That generalization would be a lawsuit if the word "hunters" were replaced with any racial designation. There are hunters of every background so the statement would still be true but the reason for the sentence is magnified when this single change is made. It is a grossly offensive statement.

The grizzly did not disappear. They did not vanish. They did not become extinct. In the 1930's the hunting was largely unregulated in the regions where grizzly bear roamed in the continental states. They were simply over hunted. There have always been many many Grizzly in Canada and Alaska and the populations, again, due to good management are now healthy and thriving in their natural habitat in the continental states. This just happens to be a small area.

Unless people are more careful with what, will the bears be gone one day? As stated before, the populations are fine. What sort of vague fear is this supposed to conjure in my kids' mind?

This last paragraph on the homework sheet has not a single thing to do with the title of why bears attack campgrounds. Furthermore, bears do NOT attack campgrounds. Their natural curiosity and the smells that abound in a campground invite them in.

Do not present this type of propaganda to my child again. It is offensive. It is false. And it has my attention.

Sincerely,

Papa Bear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

.25AOD the info you gave would have been perfect if it just had some sort of before and after numbers. Thanks again for the time you took to help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhhh... it did. Look at the article it says "in 1870 there were approximately 80,000 black bears in BC... now there's between 120,000 and 160,000" Those look like before and after #s to me. It also states the Black Bear is the most widely distributed large predator in North America. I know that sounds like an endangered species to me! ~JT

Sometimes when I go to the cupboard or the pantry I can't find what I'm looking for. I insist that we are out of that item. Then my wife comes over and points to the large container in the front on the middle shelf. It is surprising how often the thing she is pointing at is the item I was looking for.

Oops. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I will certainly be printing your page if I have any follow up meetings witht the teacher over the issue.

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes when I go to the cupboard or the pantry I can't find what I'm looking for. I insist that we are out of that item. Then my wife comes over and points to the large container in the front on the middle shelf. It is surprising how often the thing she is pointing at is the item I was looking for.

Oops. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I will certainly be printing your page if I have any follow up meetings witht the teacher over the issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... I know how it goes. My wife does the same thing to me all the time. I have a theory on it: I think the Uteris contains some kind of tracking device which enables women to find all kinds of misc. items. Although, my wife is currently pregnant with our first child and I've found out the tracking device doesn't work as well when it's occupied.
Good luck with the teacher, let us all know how it goes. ~JT

We have too many in areas of Alaska. They can decimate the moose populations.

There are estimates of over 100,000 in the state. We're having a predator control hunt up here this summer where the Fish and Game Dept. wants to eleminate 900-1400 black bears in a specific area.

Here's an article: http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildlife/story/8780480p-8681979c.html

Fantastic letter to the teacher! If only it were so simple with Disney and Hollywood.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.