I'm beside my self, if I only I could kick my self in the BUTT

So yeah after all the council and guidance from everyone on here I head out today to break in my barrel. 6 boxes of HSM trophy gold 185 gr Bergers 300 win. Umm yeah so break in was almost 3 hours followed the break in from precision magazine, takes 50 rounds with some serious cleaning rod work involved. I finally get to zero after letting my barrel cool, had to wait about 5 min between each shot so my barrel could cool down, an hour or so later I finally get a sub MOA group bench rested on a lead sled, I'm super pumped! Wait for it! I put my turret back on and it moves past zero stop, I'm thinking what the heck is my turret broken, of course not! my dumb @$$ failed to bottom out my turret before taking it off. Yeah I just said that. I shot 3 boxes of ammo today at almost $50 a box. So incase anyone gets frustrated and wants to call it quits when it comes to preparing for season just think about this screw up. I'm headed back out tomorrow morning to put this thing to bed once and for all.

Here's a little tip from an old guy who has made every bone-head screw-up known to man - MAKE YOURSELF A CHECKLIST. I've been doing this for decades with stuff like this, and I figure that if it's important enough for me to be doing something at all, it's probably important enough to write myself a procedure so that I get it right on the first try. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, or look like the before-takeoff checklist for a DC-8 - just a step-by-step list of the things that I need to do in the order I want to do them.

I write it on a 3 X 5" index card, which goes in and out of the shirt pocket without getting mangled. Then it's right there when you need it. There are two ways to use a checklist : one is to do the procedure from the list, one step at a time. ( This is actually using it as a "do-list.") the other is to run through your normal "flow" and knock out each of the items in order, from memory and habit. Then, the checklist is employed after the fact, to make sure that you didn't miss any of the steps. This is how it's done in a complex aircraft, where everything is a repetitive process. Doing it checklist-style is for the everyday, normal procedures; do-list methodology is for non-normal ( emergency ) stuff. This works great for everyday life ( like going out to run your daily errands ) and it works even better at the reloading bench or the range.

Lastly, I can promise you that your buddies are going to think that you're the total geek if you do this - unless they happen to be an airline pilot. Then they are going to think that you're a pretty smart guy. Good luck, and hopefully this helps keep you from burning up too much of that $50/box ammo, and you can spend the $$$$ on beer instead.

I will have to admit to being a clutz when it comes to bringing everything I "need" on either a hunt or trip to the range. Over the years I've forgotten just about everything at one time or another... but never a rifle or ammo. Range trips are not as problematic these days as I just have to walk the 25 yards back to the basement to get whatever I forgot. Even so, make enough trips on the bum knee and it starts to hurt! (Brand new one being installed the 20th of this month... fingers crossed!) At least I don't have to work from a list anymore! Hunts are a different story, the list is extensive and detailed these days. By the time I get everything loaded up in the truck, it's as much like moving as anything else! Sort of like a woman packing 4 huge bags for a 3 say trip... or my ex-witch packing her hair dryer for a camping trip!
Cheers,
crkckr

I could speculate why to take bolt out of rifle.I've never done this except to clean it.Educate me guy's ,why you are taking the bolt out.Just curious.

Here in the UK rifles must be transported with the bolt separate. Forgetting the bolt is so **** common, it's long since stopped being funny.

I once booked 3 days of red deer stalking which required a 3 hour drive and a ferry crossing. Up , dressed and fed on first morning. Checking everything at the insistence of the gamekeeper before leaving and discovered that I'd brought the wrong bolt and ammunition!

Here's a little tip from an old guy who has made every bone-head screw-up known to man - MAKE YOURSELF A CHECKLIST. I've been doing this for decades with stuff like this, and I figure that if it's important enough for me to be doing something at all, it's probably important enough to write myself a procedure so that I get it right on the first try. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, or look like the before-takeoff checklist for a DC-8 - just a step-by-step list of the things that I need to do in the order I want to do them.

I write it on a 3 X 5" index card, which goes in and out of the shirt pocket without getting mangled. Then it's right there when you need it. There are two ways to use a checklist : one is to do the procedure from the list, one step at a time. ( This is actually using it as a "do-list.") the other is to run through your normal "flow" and knock out each of the items in order, from memory and habit. Then, the checklist is employed after the fact, to make sure that you didn't miss any of the steps. This is how it's done in a complex aircraft, where everything is a repetitive process. Doing it checklist-style is for the everyday, normal procedures; do-list methodology is for non-normal ( emergency ) stuff. This works great for everyday life ( like going out to run your daily errands ) and it works even better at the reloading bench or the range.

Lastly, I can promise you that your buddies are going to think that you're the total geek if you do this - unless they happen to be an airline pilot. Then they are going to think that you're a pretty smart guy. Good luck, and hopefully this helps keep you from burning up too much of that $50/box ammo, and you can spend the $$$$ on beer instead.
Some one has ocd!

Daaaaaang!! You HAD to go Old School on check lists for a DC8??
Couldn't specify a Global or even a Challenger corporate bird?!? LOL
All kidding aside, I'm a HUGE proponent for making lists and at my age (61 and change) it helps but truth be told I've done this since I was in my 30's to prevent forgetting a critical part, component or piece of important gear. I figure it is due to my Military and LEO background since forgetting something critical can have bad consequences.
Even so, I STILL forget some things.
Like my hunting boots. And driving some 3 hours to hunt Mule deer in desert foothills. Result? Ruined hunt.
Or another time with the hunt being the same distance and getting to camp only to find that my "Helper" (????) neglected to load my ice chest with my FOOD!!!!!
THAT will NEVER happen again no matter HOW careful I'm promised others will be fastidious in THEIR efforts. Sigh.
I even go so far as to to have multiple lists.
One on my "Smart phone"(?) and a hard copy. The electronic goes with me everywhere so if I brainstorm (??) something I type it in and transfer to the Hard Copy when I get home.
Then, to (hopefully) make absolutely CERTAIN (??) I've not forgotten something, everything gets staged in the living room so I can (mostly) see at a glance I have the important stuff.
Perfect? Not hardly but better than a zoom through the house last minute to get out the door, on the road and to a favored spot for an ideal camp location.
THAT is a recipe for forgetting some important things you'll need.
Just my $0.02on the topic.
Overnout

I'm assuming this a custom barrel?

I'm right there with you. I've wasted so much time and money by missing steps, and also by ADDING them. That sucks my friend. Both the scope fiasco, and, if it's a custom barrel, the fact people and media have convinced yet another person about needless, long, extensive shoot-clean-shoot-clean barrel break in methods.

Man I thought this barrel break-in BS had been put to bed already. I've learned this lesson the hard way.

There is no barrel break in required on a hand lapped barrel. When shooting a new barrel, what you are breaking in, is the throat.

You have a nice, sharp chamber; when your bullet makes the jump, a tiny bit of jacket material is going to be shaved off, the fine material will be vaporized by the heat and carried down the bore.You need to remove that buildup at the throat juncture and the deposits down the bore. All which can be done when you get home from shooting.

Before you hit the range, run a quick patch down the bore to make sure there is nothing in the way.

Go to the range, shoot it, enjoy the day, zero it, dope it, and when you get home clean it.
Break in complete.

Yes, barrels will speed up after 100 or so rounds, but they're going to do that REGARDLESS. At that point, then you can start meaningful LR load development. Until then, don't waste your time with those stupid complex break in / cleaning methods, they are just wasting your time and barrel.

Last edited:
Heard this story second hand from a guy that hunts all over the world. He was told it by the helicopter pilot he used on his New Zealand Tahr hunt. Helo Pilot flies father and son deep into the snow covered mountains and drops them off for a once in a lifetime Tahr hunt they had saved for/ planned for many years. They have no communication with the outside world so he tells them he'll be back in 5 days to the same spot for extraction. Pilot picks them up 5 days later with unfortunately no animal. Barely a word is said the whole flight back. Later finds out that about 15 minutes after the helo dropped them off they figured out they had left their ammo back at the lodge. Can't swear it's true. But wow! if it is.

Heard this story second hand from a guy that hunts all over the world. He was told it by the helicopter pilot he used on his New Zealand Tahr hunt. Helo Pilot flies father and son deep into the snow covered mountains and drops them off for a once in a lifetime Tahr hunt they had saved for/ planned for many years. They have no communication with the outside world so he tells them he'll be back in 5 days to the same spot for extraction. Pilot picks them up 5 days later with unfortunately no animal. Barely a word is said the whole flight back. Later finds out that about 15 minutes after the helo dropped them off they figured out they had left their ammo back at the lodge. Can't swear it's true. But wow! if it is.
Man, not even a bullet to KILL MYSELF with after realizing it! That is the very definition of hell.

When I was younger and a more aggressive hunter I hunted public land near Williamsport PA. Went really early to get a good parking spot and was the first one in. There was a Marlin 336 in 35 leaning on a tree there. I put it in the truck, hunted all day and came out late and no one there. I still have it 35 years later.
I've looked all over for that dang thing

It happens to the young ones as well. My son was 14 when we got back to the truck after dark from deer hunting, put all our gear in the truck and drove home about 2 1/2 hours away. Months later, I asked for his rifle to clean it up for storage......realization that he had left it against the fence post when we left. Wait for it........two years later I get a call from the Sheriff's office in the county we had been hunting in. Someone had found the rifle, drove 35 miles to the county seat and turned it in. The Sheriff's office had lost track of the rifle and were cleaning out gun safes and realized they had not tried to contact me. Wait for it......I drove to the county seat to get the rifle and asked if I could send a thank you note to the person who had brought my son's rifle in. The deputy said we would not want to do that, he was a known criminal and was currently in jail. :D.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.