I'm beside my self, if I only I could kick my self in the BUTT

So yeah after all the council and guidance from everyone on here I head out today to break in my barrel. 6 boxes of HSM trophy gold 185 gr Bergers 300 win. Umm yeah so break in was almost 3 hours followed the break in from precision magazine, takes 50 rounds with some serious cleaning rod work involved. I finally get to zero after letting my barrel cool, had to wait about 5 min between each shot so my barrel could cool down, an hour or so later I finally get a sub MOA group bench rested on a lead sled, I'm super pumped! Wait for it! I put my turret back on and it moves past zero stop, I'm thinking what the heck is my turret broken, of course not! my dumb @$$ failed to bottom out my turret before taking it off. Yeah I just said that. I shot 3 boxes of ammo today at almost $50 a box. So incase anyone gets frustrated and wants to call it quits when it comes to preparing for season just think about this screw up. I'm headed back out tomorrow morning to put this thing to bed once and for all.
Hope you barrel is not worn out from cleaning. I don't see the point in all of that. With premium barrels I... 1 shot clean, 1 shot clean, 3 shots clean, done....after that i've never seen any copper

As I admit to my age ,soon to be 62, I find it easier to write a list over a few days so not to forget anything. Then I'll assemble my gear ,in on spot near the door , check over my list, load the truck, then spend the next half hour looking for my keys.....s#it happens.......
Sounds familiar and I'm only 55

So yeah after all the council and guidance from everyone on here I head out today to break in my barrel. 6 boxes of HSM trophy gold 185 gr Bergers 300 win. Umm yeah so break in was almost 3 hours followed the break in from precision magazine, takes 50 rounds with some serious cleaning rod work involved. I finally get to zero after letting my barrel cool, had to wait about 5 min between each shot so my barrel could cool down, an hour or so later I finally get a sub MOA group bench rested on a lead sled, I'm super pumped! Wait for it! I put my turret back on and it moves past zero stop, I'm thinking what the heck is my turret broken, of course not! my dumb @$$ failed to bottom out my turret before taking it off. Yeah I just said that. I shot 3 boxes of ammo today at almost $50 a box. So incase anyone gets frustrated and wants to call it quits when it comes to preparing for season just think about this screw up. I'm headed back out tomorrow morning to put this thing to bed once and for all.
Nothing is dumber than leaving your rifle in the truck like I did... I was hog hunting one evening from a friend's deer blind, and heard some aggressive boar fighting in the woods not far away. In a few minutes, just at sunset, four youngish but grown boars burst into the clearing where my friend had a feeder and continued to act very aggressive towards one another. I dropped one under the feeder, the rest disappeared into the brush, and I stayed put to see if they might return. After 15 minutes and complete dark, I put the rifle in the truck and walked toward the clearing with just a .45LC on my belt. As I passed the last bush on the side of the clearing the other three burst back on the scene. No moon, overcast, dark cedar trees for background, all black hogs still acting aggressive no rifle or night sights, and me within 10 yards of these guys. I can only detect movement, not even their outlines, and they were very enthusiastically dining on something, either their buddy, or corn, I couldn't tell. I couldn't even see the front sight, so I just pointed at some movement and fired. They ran off, and so did I!
My next purchase was a sidearm with night sights. And I keep a rifle within arms reach whenever I'm hog hunting.
They say that intelligence is being able to learn from your mistakes, and wisdom is being able to learn from other peoples' mistakes. That makes me dumber than dirt!

Here in the UK rifles must be transported with the bolt separate. Forgetting the bolt is so Rule 4 common, it's long since stopped being funny.

I once booked 3 days of red deer stalking which required a 3 hour drive and a ferry crossing. Up , dressed and fed on first morning. Checking everything at the insistence of the gamekeeper before leaving and discovered that I'd brought the wrong bolt and ammunition!
I learned something today.That makes perfect sense,being that it is the law.Thanks

What brand of scope are you using please? I'm not clear on what BOTTOMING out the scope before removing your turret real means!

Many years ago, I prepared the night before the hunt by leaning my rifle against the door so I would not forget it. As I began to load the truck, I took the rifle off the door so I could get through the door. You guessed it! I forgot the rifle. Did not notice until I got to the hunt site. Started back home on the 45 minute drive. My wife had noticed I forgot the gun. She called a hunting buddy (no cell phones back then) who was meeting me at the hunt site that morning. I met a crazy guy serving and flashing lights about 10 minutes into my return trip. It was my buddy with my gun. For years he would call opening morning and ask if I wanted him to swing by and pack my gun for me. LOL.

As I admit to my age ,soon to be 62, I find it easier to write a list over a few days so not to forget anything. Then I'll assemble my gear ,in on spot near the door , check over my list, load the truck, then spend the next half hour looking for my keys.....s#it happens.......
I'm 67. Spend 15 minutes using the flashlight on your phone looking for your glasses...in your other hand.

Drove to shoot one day...forgot the bags...had to improvise...
Of course this was a spare shoe....but if in a pinch in the hunt...wouldnt hesitant to pull one off and use it....worked good...View attachment 144695....no...no plans to sell my shoes.....

Funny that I just did this same thing earlier this week but ended up using a roll of TP, chunk of wood and a couple leather gloves.

Once when hunting in Colorado with a friend in 2012 I ended up with all my gear and my friends gear in the back of a Toyota FJ Cruiser. It was already packed full of my stuff and I wasn't expecting to have to deal with his stuff too. Anyway we had just come back to the truck from a long day hunting and hiking and very tired. It was also dark. I had sat my rifle up against the truck then took my pack off and putting my gear in and his gear and forgot about the rifle. Also this was the last day we hunted. When I went to leave the graveled parking area I first backed up and heard a Clunk against the truck and it felt like I rolled over something so I stopped. Unfortunatly it was my rifle. I had drove right over the scope and rifle with a back tire. It was a Leupold scope and other than leaving a scratch on the scope it still works as does the rifle. I think it may have torqued the mount or something as when I first tried to adjust the elevation I could hardly get it to move but after removing it from the gun I was later able to adjust it OK.
As to forgetting something, years ago I once bought a really expensive pair of sunglasses. I went on a trip and had to stop at a pay phone to call someone (before CP -Cell phones). I was Waaay down the road before I remembered them and figured it a waste of time to go back. I have never bothered to buy a expensive pair of sunglasses since.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.