If you could pick only one cartridge for all NA game except the big bears...

I love the .280 too, but as with most other choices, both can be downloaded, but both cant be uploaded to the same level as i would prefer if it were to be "one to rule them all".
300wm all day long.

300 Win Mag You can shoot heavy for caliber bullets and light bullets for hunting anything. If you don't reload you can walk into any sporting goods store and buy ammo.
IMHO it's the best all around hunting cartridge ever designed.

I would have to say my 280 Ack Imp with 140 grain accubond would be my choice. From Coyotes, hogs to deer from 75 yards to 850 yards (furtherest I have shot an animal). I love the recoil or the lack of. Balistically similar to 7mm Mag.

For a one gun choice, I would opt for a caliber that shoots 180 grain bullets the best. The 140 to 180 grain bullet range seems to be the sweet spot for big game. But if you only have one gun, I would opt for the heavier of that category and the 7mmRM does that well.

Unless you have 5" + more inches of barrel you will not equal the 300WM.

I have a 28" 300wsm and it is about 75 to 100 fps behind my 26" 300 win mag with the same bullet.
then you need to learn how to load a WSM from us guys that shoot them. :D

Shooting 208's at 3000fps with a 28" pipe.

I'm with Grayfox. I just cant walk away from the 6.5x284. Great sectional density off the 140 combined with lack of recoil, and 6.5 BC's are hard to argue with.

Cheers,

Levi

I use plain old .308 for everything in North America.

Like yourself - I'm just about ready to totally convert all of my ballistic commitments to the time-honored .308 Win.

However, I started back in 1965 with the then-new 6.5mm Remington Magnum with a 3-9X Bushnell, and made it into a short-barreled tack-driver with 87gr match HPs. I shot everything from groundhogs to deer to ants out West. It was a one-shot-one-kill with either the 87 gr or the factory 120 gr. An ant at 385-paces was my 1960s longest.

By 1967 I'd added a .22-250 Remington Mod 700 HB, topped with a 12X Redfield, and tuned the 52-53 gr match BTHPs into 0.50"dia. groups. During the late 1960s I took three buck deer with single neck shots.

Then came the 1980s and I'd tuned a 3,000 fps .270 Win into a one-gun-out-West caliber, taking ants, elk, and mule deer with 130 gr bronze point hand loads.

Buy the early-1990s I had two 300 Win Mags, one a very accurate M1000 Browning, but found after several seasons that I was working harder by carrying more weight, for the same degree of success and a bigger "Boom!" afield.

Then one day a friend who shot high-dollar live pigeons with a very pricey Perazzi, and I were shooting trap. I had my oldest Winchester Mod 12 Heavy Duck and was a few birds behind. I told him that perhaps, if I upgraded my shotgun to his level of investment - I might be better competition?

He looked at me, and laughed! Then he plainly said: "It's not what you shoot, but WHERE YOU HIT! - that matters." (Like I was some kind of idiot, and to some extent he was right. I'd never thought of shooting in those terms.)

Later he explained that "confidence" was the largest part of is his mental shooting game, and that weighed more than anything else on his ability to be successful! He said he began by shooting a Remington 1100, that a local gunsmith had tuned and fitted to him. And it shot just as well for him, but as he had become more financially successful, he felt like he had to keep up with the other shooters, so he ordered himself a - custom Perazzi.

"...but I still shoot that 1100 when bird hunting," he confided.

So now days - I have a sub-MOA .22-250 Rem that is about broken in for our young daughter (She's mastering trigger-pull with a target .22 with a short stock and a bull barrel right now.). And I have a same-make-n-model, MOA .308 Win for our collective use if that becomes necessary.

The two older boys now have all of the other-and-larger-caliber rifles and most of the shotguns. So I'm focused on the .308 Win most days, from the shooting bench on the patio. And to it, I am both confident & committed that I can "hit" where I aim.

Oh sure, there is a like-new Remington 700 chambered in 7mm STW in the closet, waiting on a riflescope, along with maybe 10-boxes of factory 140 gr ammo. But I don't really have any personal "confidence" in that rifle...yet.

My point here - In case some may have missed it, is: The best rifle caliber for you, is the one in which you have founded the most - "confidence"! And that is developed through, practice, practice, practice...

The key is ALL North American game. The term 'ALL' implies that one will shoot the rifle a lot.

One wants a rifle that is pleasant to shoot through tens of rounds a day for practice even though the number of shots on big game might be one per animal. For that reason the 6.5 caliber gives the best combination of terminal ballistics and BC for even moose.

For me, the cartridge giving the best balance between recoil, muzzle blast, and long range drift minimization would be the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Last edited:
WOW! Unless I misconstrued Len's intent, I don't think he's asking for a dissertation. :cool:

What cartridge (as in one choice only) and why? He might want to tally it for a representative sample size; keep it simple and specific ... just saying. :):Dgun)

BTW, this site/forum is LRH.

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.