Idaho House Bill 587

While people generally don't like draws, it's probably a little fairer than the current system for non-res folks which has now pretty much devolved into "unless you can spend 3 hours on line on Dec 1" you can't get a tag.

I wish F&G commissions would narrow the application submission period down to say 2 weeks and then do the drawing within say a week. If you are serious about going there is no reason a 2 week window is not enough to submit an application and there is no reason they can't make the drawing within a week of closing the application period. This is not a difficult computational problem.

I also think that most drawings can be held earlier. In talking with several biologists it is not as if their analysis is "let's reduce/increase tags by 17.4%". It is more like "given the conditions we can increase [or should decrease] by 15%".

Last edited:
It was only a matter of time after they put a quota on the units. If you're trying to get a tag for a more sought after unit and you can't be at a store in person or be one of the first few hundred in the online queue out of 30k people you're not gonna get a tag for some of them. It will be interesting to see if they do this with some kind of bonus or preferance point system, or a random draw like the moose.

I think it's more fair if it's a draw like Nevada….

If it's more reliant on a point system however, can't say I think it's "fair" as if that ever mattered in life.
The point creep always comes in and throws a wrench in things, especially if quotas get less.

I like the idea of 'open draw'...no draw points....being...
Buy a non-refundable license and put in for a specific(1) unit.....

Better odds than the lottery.....

The points system is trash and should be treated as such. I'm fine with the current system or a straight lottery draw.

My concern as a resident is that's it's just one step closer to turning the whole state to draw only.
I've always watched and tried to be involved with what happens with the non-residents because I figured that's what's coming to residents next.

My concern as a resident is that's it's just one step closer to turning the whole state to draw only.
Our neighbors in Wyoming and MT have done this for years and resident tags are still OTC in general units.
Idaho is decades overdue on reducing non resident tags, it's getting ridiculous.