House fire and gun safes.

Sorry for your tragic loss but reality is your family is the most precious thing in your life and they are safe. That is the best outcome in serious tragedies.

===================================
I would suggest everyone to consider an emergency plan that addresses events like fire, severe weather and possibly flooding. When everyone in family knows what to do and how to do it, the likelihood for survival goes up dramatically. You don't need a book but just short cryptic sentences of what needs to be done by who, when, and how. KISS Principle applies here. Upper floors need folding rope ladder that simply connects to eye bolt etc.
We are reloaders, I have 2 large fire extinguishers in basement, one by door to upper floor, one by work area. Extinguishers on main floor in kitchen plus sleeping areas. This is cheap insurance to either put out, slow down for safe escape. Obviously extinguishers in pole barn and garage. They are easy to use and you can buy them reasonable during fire protection week usually Oct 9-15 every year. Just don't assume you can take on a fully engulfed house fire, they are for small campfire size fires and to also help in escape.

Smoke alarms no brainer. I added CO, CO2 and Combustion Gas alarms. If you have nat gas and or propane the combustion alarm is a must. A friend's Mom was killed couple years ago from nat gas leak explosion in her house.

I now have firearm insurance thru NRA since my insurance carrier decided to send all my riders to my bank along with proof of insurance. I assume safes will not protect, I live out in country which is another reason for extinguishers.

Again you don't have to have an epistle for a plan, just something that everyone knows what to do.

Anyone with fire fighting, fire inspection, or home insurance experience have an opinion on residential fire sprinklers and their effectiveness? In theory, they can stop a lot of fires before they even get out of hand.

Something I've thought about retro fitting into my house. I'm looking to use wood heat more but that adds some risk. But, especially after looking at the cost for the higher end safes with the best fire ratings (currently in the market). When I build my dream home in 10+ years, I'll build a gun vault, but until then. I'll also have a fire sprinkler system installed as I plan on moving way out of the city, so response times will be slow.

Anyone with fire fighting, fire inspection, or home insurance experience have an opinion on residential fire sprinklers and their effectiveness? In theory, they can stop a lot of fires before they even get out of hand.

Something I've thought about retro fitting into my house. I'm looking to use wood heat more but that adds some risk. But, especially after looking at the cost for the higher end safes with the best fire ratings (currently in the market). When I build my dream home in 10+ years, I'll build a gun vault, but until then. I'll also have a fire sprinkler system installed as I plan on moving way out of the city, so response times will be slow.

What the fire doesn't destroy the sprinklers will.

I would be curious to see if using welder blankets rated 1800 deg F would help if the safe was covered ? They repel water to an extent. Possibly wrap your safes, especially the top & door. I'm not saying this may save your firearms. But it may buy enough time in the event of a fire. And fairly cheap $200.00 or less. Or one could build a small room (vault) around your safes. One could use metal lolly columns & a half inch or better steel plate over the top tack welded or bolted together. This would hold a lot of weight. And take a while to get hot before the safe started to absorb heat. Especially if coated with

INTUMESCENT COATING

, They also make Gypsum board or X board. Which may be used to help with fire & heat on ceilings & walls. And one could possibly install a small sprinkler system around & over this room. How big of a room will determine cost. And how well you want it built. Just build say a 6Hx6Wx8L room for safes & valuables. I bet it would cost less than some of these guns being built. And could possibly save how many ? If done in a garage on a exterior wall. I would not be scared to bet it would possibly leave your scopes unharmed. Biggest issue would be cleaning ASAP after fire. Getting the moisture out of valuables.
Here something to read that may aide someone in the near future when building a room. One does not need to build with just concrete. And the biggest factors are heat & moisture.

Sprinkler systems are very effective. They only spray water in the vicinity of the fire (hopefully directly over it), as those are the only sprinkler heads subjected to enough heat to open up. Connecting to the sprinkler system is the first thing we do when we get on scene of a fire in a sprinklered building. Will it make a mess? Yep. But you're well past worrying about that if you have a fire. It still should be less of a mess than a crew would make going in to extinguish it with a handline.

Sprinkler systems are very effective. They only spray water in the vicinity of the fire (hopefully directly over it), as those are the only sprinkler heads subjected to enough heat to open up. Connecting to the sprinkler system is the first thing we do when we get on scene of a fire in a sprinklered building. Will it make a mess? Yep. But you're well past worrying about that if you have a fire. It still should be less of a mess than a crew would make going in to extinguish it with a handline.
That's what I read. Each sprinkler has it's trigger mechanism that individually gets set off by heat. It's not like in the movies, where every sprinkler in the whole building/house goes off. Volume of water is a fraction of what a fire hose puts out. Timing wise, you're getting a huge head start on the fire department. With any luck you have disaster cleanup out to remediate one room in your house vs. multiple.

This thread does remind me I should take an updated inventory of everything of value (detailed lists and w/ pictures) and up my insurance coverage and/or get special coverage (if needed). I'm lucky enough to have a family friend as a broker/agent for our home and auto. Losing the NFA items would make the most sad.

Last edited:
If you do decide to go with a sprinkler system, make sure it has an external connection that is compatible with local FD's equipment. I would contact local FD to get their recommendations as well so everyone is on same page and no time is lost during an incident.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I am also from West Virginia, Parkersburg area, If there's anything you could use a hand with I'd be glad to volunteer to help out. Or if there's anything else I can do I'd be gad to. Glad you and your family are safe. That's what really matters!

Very, very sorry for your loss. Thank goodness that no one was injured physically.

A "fire-proof" room is probably the best "container" for guns and heirloom items for safe keeping. CMU blocks filled with concrete, 8-12" of concrete roof and a metal fire door and frame will accomplish a "3 hour" or greater firewall. Additionally and very important is to include a "fire damper" in any HVAC ducts that are in that room. Fire caulk around EVERY penetration. Even two sheets of "fire-rock" on metal studs will accomplish more than a gun safe. Put a gun safe inside of the room and you have a decent place for irreplicable/heirloom items. Insurance can't replace those items and I have some stuff that, for me, money couldn't buy.

WOW THAT'S TERRIBLE. Thank God you all are fine. I'm a fellow Wv. You need anything, please ask. Also in my career of contracting, I have helped build Safe Rooms in people houses. We made the front or back porch into concrete safe spaces, ceiling, walls and floors, with supply and return HVAC, electric, water and drainage. Completely conditioned, impervious to fire. Man I'm very sorry you all are going through this. We have you all in our prayers. 🙏🙏😥