I want to film an upcoming hunt need advice on equipment and such

Bang4theBuck

I am taking my two boys and wife on a trip to South Africa next year to hunt and this is not the sort of thing that we are likely going to do many times. Because we are all going, because of the potential for epic adventures, because I have lots of friends that are curious about the opportunity, and because I want to preserve the memory for as long as possible, I want to film the whole experience. I know this is kinda vague, and not exactly a Long Range Hunting thing, but hoping that someone has some advice on a cost-effective approach to the equipment, and maybe some tips and tricks for the filming, or an online tutorial, or tips and tricks. Thanks for considering helping.

Bumped into the kid who ran a camera for us when we were developing a commercial for direct marketing at Thanksgiving. He said that in the last few years he's almost completely converted to a go pro, his phone and if he can't mic up the situation a point and click camera with a rode mic and a dead cat on it. He's filmed a bunch of fishing stuff as well as outdoors stuff with snowmachines, almost all with just a couple cheap go pros and his iPhone. Key is quick start up with long battery life, and a decent mic as sound seems to always be the hard part.

As to editing, I'll defer on that as it can vary on how much and how deep you want to go.