I want to build an AR help me get started

I want to build an AR for coyote hunting, I will probably do 22 nosler because I already have one in a bolt gun that I really like. I am thinking about assembling one from the stripped lower on up. Where should I start? I want a nice quality rifle but I dont need it to be anything crazy, accuracy, weight and function are my criteria.
I have had pretty good luck with palmetto state armory they have kits for a 224 Valkyrie that performs pretty well. Have not shot it past 200 yards yet but tight groups so far.

1. Longer barrels. I have all 20 &24's
2. Rifle length gas tube holes. Your dealing with less pressure.
3. I've also shifted away from gas guns. Superlative Arms $289 for the piston bolt kits. You have to buy a bolt and spring. so i just buy a $100 nickle boron BCG and put the guts in the Superlative piston bolt. minus the gas rings.

4. 1:8 the you have a 55 gr through 80 gr shooter. I have 1:9 and they shoot 75's, But I generally use 1:8 for anything over 62
5. Drop in triggers. I have a collection of 3 pound single stagers and the straight triggers really are nice.
6. Real muzzle brakes are a plus.
7. .750 gas block size. stainless fluted barrels are nice. I just bought a 20 inch at 2.2 pounds. up to about 3 pounds is nice. I have a bull 24 with a weight of 7 pound barrel. On the quad it's fine for pulling up a field and shooting. Heavy for humping the brush

8. I left out Roller bolt cam pin. High volume guns beat up the bolt cam pin. I have bought Hydra-fire for all my BCG's.

9. full auto heavy bolts CG's keep from beating up your buffer tube weight. Rifle length is less shock. carbine length might be hit with 30,000 psi mid length less like 18,000 psi, rifle length 12,000 psi.

10. I've trimmed buffer spring lengths to get best ejection pattern.

I have 4-5 of the Larue triggers they are GTG

Everybody has an opinion. The only good thing I can say about Larue triggers is maybe the price! :( who needs a 5.5 pound or 6.5 pound trigger?

I have a a majority of high quality drop in triggers from 2.5 pounds to 3.5 I had some adjustables 10 years ago, but under competion use they would fail at the worst times. I even red locktited the little allens.

these are just some of what I own and I'm not saying that primary arms is the best price on them I'm just giving examples.

My son and I, worked together, to build an AR-10. It was my rifle, so I chose a 7mm-08 Remington. Not because of the light recoil, but flat ballistics.

the build uses a Cross Machine Took Company upper & lower. An Aero Precision standard weight bolt, not lightweight!

the barrel, is the key, a 9.5:1 twist 22" X-Caliber stainless. It has no frills, standard barrel.the twist rate, allows heavy 7mm-08 bullets. I use 139 SST's as the bottom weight, moving to 168's.

so far, the 100 yard accuracy, is touching homes, using 3 rounds. At 500 yards, it consistently hits a 24" steel plate. 1000 yards, same results,. It has hit ever target distance on first shot.

now, I'm reloading, using 139SST's as my starting point. Loaded 2 each, from low to high, recommended loads of IMR-4064. The 150's are Lapua's Scenar-L's.

The 139's will be tested, soon as WX cooperates.

1580235744987.jpeg

I've built quite a few AR's, all on AERO Precision receiver sets. For the price you can't do any better, there are certainly nicer options if you want to pay for them but personally AERO gets it done in every way. After that parts are mostly mix and match like a lego set, spend your best money on your barrel and an SLR adjustable gas block, a JP silent capture spring is also really nice to have. Pick any good trigger that tickles your fancy, Geiselle SSA-E or TriggerTech would be my top choices but there are tons of options out there. One thing to pay attention to is make sure your gas tube length matches your barrel gas port, and make sure your order the right gas block size to fit the barrel diameter at the gas port.

Lots of good online vendors out there, just google around and see if you can find anyone running a decent sale on stuff, but here are a few good ones.

Primary Arms
Job Bob Outfitters
Monmouth Reloading

As stated previously, building ARs can be addictive. So I'll throw out a few suggestions before you begin your journey down that road.

1. Purpose build your first AR for your intended end use. AR 15 or AR 10. Caliber, bullet weight, barrel twist & length.
(a) Threaded or not; thread size.
(b) Brake or suppressor;

2. Check out stocks and grips at a vendor where you can see, and decide which style, that you prefer.

3. Buy your lower parts kit without the trigger group. (You'll likely discard any mil-spec trigger anyway)

4. Determine which trigger style you want, single stage vs two stage, plus the weight you want. I prefer 2.5 lb triggers.
(a) I own four Geissele SSA-Es. I've bought a bunch of other brands and styles, but I prefer the Geissele on my ARs.

5. You may in the future decide to build a second AR. Here's where I'll suggest you build the best lower you can afford and then if you wish to have another upper in a different configuration, consider just building different uppers and swapping them on your lower--unless you have plenty or room in your safe and/or want to have another complete rifle for what ever reason.

6. Consider what sling or slings you intend to use & the attachment method you prefer, then purchase your stock, front handguard and even your lower receive end plate--as these can be ordered with the specific receptor that you intend to use to attach your sling. My preference is heavy duty QD 1.25" or 1.5" sling swivels.

I own an abundance of slings in various styles. Having a plan can eliminate unnecessary accessories. Being able to use items on various platforms leaves you more money to squander on other STUFF!

Consider, if you are interested in, or already own, a suppressor; just buying a .30 cal can and installing compatible QD mounts on any .30 or smaller rifle in you inventory. I own a few cans and ask my self, why didn't I just buy the .30 and use the extra money for more STUFF. I'm the first to admit that I'm an optics & shooting gadget whore.

Sometimes, when installing the bolt-stop roll pin on an AR lower, even when using a punch to aid in the job, the supplied roll pin doesn't want to pick up the hole on the left side. The roll pin isn't chamfered. I went to a commercial parts supplier and ordered a bag of 50 spring rolled chamfered roll pins with the same diameter and length as the OEM pin. 50 pins may seem excessive, they come in lots of 50 or more, but when I encounter a PITA task, I'm always looking for a work-around. And I have spares on hand for my kids and friends.

Good luck with your project.

My son and I, worked together, to build an AR-10. It was my rifle, so I chose a 7mm-08 Remington. Not because of the light recoil, but flat ballistics.

the build uses a Cross Machine Took Company upper & lower. An Aero Precision standard weight bolt, not lightweight!

the barrel, is the key, a 9.5:1 twist 22" X-Caliber stainless. It has no frills, standard barrel.the twist rate, allows heavy 7mm-08 bullets. I use 139 SST's as the bottom weight, moving to 168's.

so far, the 100 yard accuracy, is touching homes, using 3 rounds. At 500 yards, it consistently hits a 24" steel plate. 1000 yards, same results,. It has hit ever target distance on first shot.

now, I'm reloading, using 139SST's as my starting point. Loaded 2 each, from low to high, recommended loads of IMR-4064. The 150's are Lapua's Scenar-L's.

The 139's will be tested, soon as WX cooperates.

View attachment 172270
Sweet!

I like the Larue's for money yes but I also have a Ruger 452 a Rock River varmint and two Geissele High Speed National Match triggers. I use the Geissele's for 1000 yds shooting on my private range they are the best but very expensive like I said for the money the Larue MBT-2S two stage is GTG for a budget build to even a midrange $$ build. One mans budget build maybe another mans dream rifle.

Spend your money on a good barrel and a trigger. Square the front of the receiver. You can buy the tool at brownels.

Spend your money on a good barrel and a trigger. Square the front of the receiver. You can buy the tool at brownels.
First time I've come across this advice, can you elaborate? I know lots about building/improving bolt guns, but just getting started on gas guns

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.