I owe myself some WOOD

Buzzsaw

I've got my rifle "collection" whittled down to a full Custom 6.5 Creedmoor and a full custom .223. Both, carbon fiber stocked, Bolt guns. I have an AR-15 "pistol" but it does truck duty.

So, I've decided my next rifle will come with a beautiful WOOD stock. Now, first, my budget is only $2,000. I'm 68 and lusted after a beautiful Weatherby MKV. I remember going to the Museum Of Natural History at Fair Park here in Dallas when I was around 10. They had Famous Big Game Hunter , Herb Klein's, collection of innate Weatherby's.

OK, so , as you know finding one is easy, finding one with exceptional wood is not. Most distributors won't unbox their guns to show wood. I have found a couple. As far as calibers, I'm looking at the new 6.5 RPM and the favorite .257 Weatherby Magnum.

The search begins, any advice, experience, caliber choice would be great.........Oh, I don't like recoil.

I do want a new, Sheridan Wyoming gun.

P7id10t

Buy a pre '64 Winny in 25-06 or 257 Bob, get a custom myrtlewood stock made and contoured for you. You'll be classy and sporting wood!

flyguy1

Finding good wood on a factory rifle is an accident these days. And custom highly figured walnut blanks will cost more than you want to spend on the whole rifle.

This is a little more, but...It's a Cooper .308 for around $2700, and they might go down. Probably breaking some rule but it's at https://firststopguns.com Find a good used scope on here with a lifetime warranty and save a little there. One of my old friends is running for state senate in SD and she had a campaign event there so they're likely good folks. And, though I digress, who wouldn't vote for a beautiful, conservative blonde who holds rallies in gun stores?

1591109035887.png

Threerun

Buy a pre '64 Winny in 25-06 or 257 Bob, get a custom myrtlewood stock made and contoured for you. You'll be classy and sporting wood!
That's one of my dreams. I have an affinity for the 'Bob'- I inerited my father in laws near perfect 721 Bob and took many whitetails with it when I lived in WV. I just bought a .257AI built by Kevin Weaver- a 98 Mauser in a nice wood stock (not a great wood stock, but nice)- and it's a fantastic rifle. It was built for someone else- the stock is a little short for me but it works..

I keep that rifle handy at all times within arms reach for prairie dogs and coyotes around the place.

But I want a really nice, custom .257AI in a wood stock built to fit me.

26Reload

Who is the guy on here that builds all those awesome stocks...
For a true one piece of beauty....let him build your stock....

Backcountry sports

Finding good wood on a factory rifle is an accident these days. And custom highly figured walnut blanks will cost more than you want to spend on the whole rifle.

This is a little more, but...It's a Cooper .308 for around $2700, and they might go down. Probably breaking some rule but it's at https://firststopguns.com Find a good used scope on here with a lifetime warranty and save a little there. One of my old friends is running for state senate in SD and she had a campaign event there so they're likely good folks. And, though I digress, who wouldn't vote for a beautiful, conservative blonde who holds rallies in gun stores?

View attachment 196722
Cooper is the way to go they have very nice wood

Alibiiv

LRH Team Member

Trending threads

Recent Posts

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce