Do hunters owe anyhing to benchrest and f-class?

rscott5028

So, what do you think? Do hunters owe anyhing to benchrest and f-class?

Why or why not?

Are hunting rifles, barrels, and ballistics for hunters better because competitors in benchrest, f-class, and other competitive shooting sports so methodical in their quest for accuracy?

I've watched hunting rigs evolve over the years and it certainly seems so to me. I don't even recall "tactical" being in fashion 30-40 years ago for LE much less for hunters. Tactical scopes and rifles share a lot of the attributes pioneered in competition. Hunting rigs seem to be going that direction as well.

Are barrels made better and more accurate today because competitive shooters effectively funded/conducted the research for better processes and materials and made it more economical for the premium barrel makers to stay in business and produce better barrels for hunters?

Are bullets such as Berger (which started out as target bullets I think?) better today especially for Long Range Hunting because F-class competitors needed preimum long range ammo with better BCs?

Brass? Powder? Triggers?

Clearly hunting is very different from punching holes in paper at a known distance. But lets face it, a lot of hunters are just plain sloppy and don't keep decent records of their shooting performance. (Nobody in these forums for sure.)

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
Richard

Yes,yes yes, Some of my friends are bench shooters, they like to hunt too. They dont even start antelope hunting until 1000. One shot a deer at I think 1589.The put alot of trigger time in. I am always picking there brain.

I read the other thread where this started. F-tr is infact similar to long range hunting in many respects, other than needing terminal effect and having known distances. The F-classer's do not have to worry about killing the paper, only hitting as many v-bulls as possible. And one could argue that you should be shooting game at a known distance as well, you better know if the elk is at 1010 or 1045 yards...
Several Ftr and F-open rifles are pretty similar to the rifles that Kirby Allen has built and we have all drooled over, although Kirby's rifles are MUCH larger chamberings. An F-tr rifle in 308 with everything attached to the rifle coming in at under 18.5 pounds does have some definite similarities to many of the long range hunting rifles we post on here all the time. Take one of the Defensive Edge Canyon rifles and paint it metallic red with some flames and it would fit in fine on the firing line at any f-open match.

What is it in the past that has driven the barrel manufacturing to such a high standard? Target shooting, plain and simple. Sure shooting in BR disciplines does not seem to relate to hunting, but many of the accuracy innovations started in competitions.

Wind reading in an F-Class match with a .308 is great practice. Doing it every week at ranges from 300 yards to 1000 yards creates confidence in your wind reading ability.

Back that up with regular field shooting practice with your favorite cannon at long range and you are on the right track.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.