I owe myself some WOOD

Buzzsaw

I've got my rifle "collection" whittled down to a full Custom 6.5 Creedmoor and a full custom .223. Both, carbon fiber stocked, Bolt guns. I have an AR-15 "pistol" but it does truck duty.

So, I've decided my next rifle will come with a beautiful WOOD stock. Now, first, my budget is only $2,000. I'm 68 and lusted after a beautiful Weatherby MKV. I remember going to the Museum Of Natural History at Fair Park here in Dallas when I was around 10. They had Famous Big Game Hunter , Herb Klein's, collection of innate Weatherby's.

OK, so , as you know finding one is easy, finding one with exceptional wood is not. Most distributors won't unbox their guns to show wood. I have found a couple. As far as calibers, I'm looking at the new 6.5 RPM and the favorite .257 Weatherby Magnum.

The search begins, any advice, experience, caliber choice would be great.........Oh, I don't like recoil.

I do want a new, Sheridan Wyoming gun.

Buy a pre '64 Winny in 25-06 or 257 Bob, get a custom myrtlewood stock made and contoured for you. You'll be classy and sporting wood!

Finding good wood on a factory rifle is an accident these days. And custom highly figured walnut blanks will cost more than you want to spend on the whole rifle.

This is a little more, but...It's a Cooper .308 for around $2700, and they might go down. Probably breaking some rule but it's at https://firststopguns.com Find a good used scope on here with a lifetime warranty and save a little there. One of my old friends is running for state senate in SD and she had a campaign event there so they're likely good folks. And, though I digress, who wouldn't vote for a beautiful, conservative blonde who holds rallies in gun stores?

1591109035887.png

Buy a pre '64 Winny in 25-06 or 257 Bob, get a custom myrtlewood stock made and contoured for you. You'll be classy and sporting wood!
That's one of my dreams. I have an affinity for the 'Bob'- I inerited my father in laws near perfect 721 Bob and took many whitetails with it when I lived in WV. I just bought a .257AI built by Kevin Weaver- a 98 Mauser in a nice wood stock (not a great wood stock, but nice)- and it's a fantastic rifle. It was built for someone else- the stock is a little short for me but it works..

YYDiZWt.jpg

I keep that rifle handy at all times within arms reach for prairie dogs and coyotes around the place.

But I want a really nice, custom .257AI in a wood stock built to fit me.

Finding good wood on a factory rifle is an accident these days. And custom highly figured walnut blanks will cost more than you want to spend on the whole rifle.

This is a little more, but...It's a Cooper .308 for around $2700, and they might go down. Probably breaking some rule but it's at https://firststopguns.com Find a good used scope on here with a lifetime warranty and save a little there. One of my old friends is running for state senate in SD and she had a campaign event there so they're likely good folks. And, though I digress, who wouldn't vote for a beautiful, conservative blonde who holds rallies in gun stores?

View attachment 196722
Cooper is the way to go they have very nice wood

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.