I need some help on swapping a 6.5 CM to 6.5 PRC

I would honestly stay with the 6.5 CM. It doesn't kill barrels like the 6.5-.284, or moreso the 6.5 PRC.
You can use powders like RL-26, and StaBall 6.5, and get higher velocities, without burning your barrel out in the long run.
If you will look for a 6.5 PRC, look at the Weatherby Vanguard 6.5 PRC. They are guaranteed to shoot MOA, and won't break the bank doing so.

Dang your way out there for me. I'm sure if you advertised you have rl26 for sale it will be gone in very short order.

LOL, I had 20 singles and a dozen or so 8lb. All I have left is one 8 and 4 singles. I probably need to raise the price again. I had some on backorder forever and both shipped the same week. I wish I could get some to a few of the good old boys but shipping is not pleasant. No telling when it will be available again.

You can absolutely do a 6.5x284. It's the perfect size action for it and will just require a barrel change and an 06 magazine. Maybe a bolt stop. You can even punch out your creed barrel if it shoots good. Or you can reload your creed with rl26 and get within 100fps of the 6.5x284. rl26 really wakes up the 6.5creed.
Shep
No need for a barrel change. Both the 6.5prc and 6.5-284 are larger than the 6.5cm so a reamer will clean out the old chamber.

I would honestly stay with the 6.5 CM. It doesn't kill barrels like the 6.5-.284, or moreso the 6.5 PRC.
You can use powders like RL-26, and StaBall 6.5, and get higher velocities, without burning your barrel out in the long run.
If you will look for a 6.5 PRC, look at the Weatherby Vanguard 6.5 PRC. They are guaranteed to shoot MOA, and won't break the bank doing so.
I can say that RL26 gets bigger velocities but I've played with Staba and I've not seen anything exciting from it I feel it was over hyped

Corey

I checked a 6.5 Creed tikka and even though they come with a medium plus size magazine they still have a short bolt stop. So if you go to the longer magazines the bolt stop does need replaced. The bolt stops used now are hollowed out in the back and are hollow right at the length needed. I would just get a new one from mountain tactical made from real steel and go with the long mag box.
Shep

Just to clear a few things up. I have a couple creeds, 7 6.5-284's, and a PRC. The creed will not run with a 6.5-284 or a PRC by any stretch of the imagination regardless of what people claim in one off situations. Velocity is a result of powder charge and PSI. Creeds can be ran very hard and still function and are pretty amazing for such a small case. If you want or need 150-200 fps then clearly you need a bigger case or more pressure, likely both. If you run a 6.5-284 in a restricted action and mag you'll be better off with the creed for sure. My 6.5-284's run 3.2" COAL. My PRC is 2.950 to fit aics mags. If you run a short barrel stick with the creed or PRC. The 6.5-284 seems to really shine in a longer barrel. If you go PRC, which would be my suggestion on a restricted action, the you will be happier, if you can find brass.

Well for one he's not using a restricted action. On the Tikka with a long box you can put the bullets as far as he wants to. In fact the Hornady factory loads in 6.5 Creed will fit in the regular med box. But they come with a med plus box which is around .200 longer inside. Just about 3 inches long on the inside. And as far as the Creed not even being close. I think any cartridge that get within 100fps of another is very close. And pressure signs are pressure signs. The Creed goes over 2900 with 140 class bullets with no excess pressure. Round primer edges, no ejector marks and no heavy lift on the bolt. Get over it. The Creed does it in every rifle I've built and the tons more on this site. There is even a long thread on here about it. There are quite a few cartridges out there that gain 200fps with rl26.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.