I need some help on swapping a 6.5 CM to 6.5 PRC

Cynical Man Method:
  1. Pour yourself some Cherry Koolaid.
  2. Take two good gulps from the glass.
  3. Top the glass up with Everclear
  4. Chug the remainder.
The first was 6.5CM, the 2nd 6.5PRC.
When you sober up, leave the Tikka alone. Go buy a Christensen Ridgeline in 6.5PRC. You may be a few hundred more out of pocket but you'll still have both glasses of Koolaid to drink from.

Varmint Hunter, Thanks for idea of hammers. I am only seeing the absolutes you mention in 123 grain in 6.5s.
That seems light for large deer or larger game.
Have you had other experience?

26 inch proof carbon barrel. Gunwerks
GRB action McMillan HTG stock. Ended up 7lbs without scope and shoots under 1/4 moa with several bullets. This barrel is on the slow side but it's super accurate. The Tikkas have been super accurate too. I'm building a 6.5 Creed tikka on a proof carbon for my friend going in a mesa precision stock. I like the Tikkas. Lots going for them.
Shep

The 6.5-284 Norma and the 6.5 PRC give you the advantage of shooting the heavies at higher velocities. 156 Berger for example. You would have to change bolt face for the PRC though. I'd keep the Creedmoor and slowly build yourself a PRC or buy one already put together. A lot of good options out there. Here is a 6.5 PRC I just finished building using a Bergara Barreled Action from their custom shop in Georgia. About $2000(no optics) all in with full length bedding, Cerakote work, stock and bottom metal by Graybow custom shop (4th of July sale killer deal), TriggerTech primary trigger ($99 optics planet 4th of July sale), front rail, QD cups on stock, 2 mags, fluted and threaded barrel. Just take your time and accumulate items to do a build. If you're frugal and shop the sales and holiday promos you can really pick up some great buys and build a real nice rig exactly as you want it.

06732D81-3325-4114-BF86-134AF7E9C2A7.jpegFCE9025E-DF0E-4751-B09D-6B02D4C60A1B.jpeg794DDA7C-A001-4CA7-9DEC-CBFD9D4C88CE.jpeg

To go to 6.5-284 all you will need is a barrel change, bolt stop kit and new magazine (Brownell's sells the bolt stop kits. It will run app. 100 fps slower than the 6.5 PRC. For the PRC, the things listed above plus the Gun Smith must open up the bolt face to a magnum size. Is the 100 fps worth it for a little more money is up to you. I am toying with the same decision, I have a 6.5x55 that I want to convert to either a 25-284 or 25 PRC, decisions, decisions.... Best of luck to you...

You can go to a PRC. Go on YouTube to west desert shooter . And watch as he takes a tikka from a 243 Winchester to a 7 mm SAUM for a prs rifle.

Assuming you have the tikka already, sell/trade the tikka, buy a Sauer model 100 in 6.5prc, that's probably the easiest/cheapest option. Cavedreller on YouTube has been shooting one. You can also have some gun smith open the bolt face up to a magnum size.

Or you could spend 400 bucks on a Mossberg Patriot Predator in PRC and see if you like it. I've read they seem to shoot pretty well. If you like it you can get serious on a build from there and sell the Predator.

Getting hard to find alot of powders right now. If Biden wins we all lose. That's why everything is being snatched up right now. Hopefully the supplies will keep coming and be available soon.

Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.