• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

I need a rifle for Alaska...

Darn it, I didn't expect this much response. Should probably add a little more detail...

—I don't want anything too heavy and I'd like a 24" or shorter barrel. I have a vault full or rifles, but I never reach for anything that is overly heavy.

—As for caliber, I'm thinking something .338 (the only .338 I have is a Lapua and I'm not packing that!

—To those that have asked, we are flying into Kotzebue and hunting with Brad Saalsa. I know Grizzlys aren't overly big, but they can eat you and I'm not scared of a little horsepower in a rifle. Obviously, I won't be putting a bead on the bear unless it's a threatening situation I find myself in. The caribou hunting will be on the backburner until we turn up a 'grizz.

Sounds like a blast! If you don't have a 375 of some sort this would be a great opportunity. I know this is a long range forum, but a 375h&h or 375ruger with 270gr bullets has a very similar trajectory to a 30-06 with 180s. Plus the recoil tends to be more of a shove than a punch ,even in my 375h&h that's barely over 7lbs scoped and loaded with no break, 20" barrel and savage Tupperware stock.

Also, don't listen to people saying that you'll never be able to get within 400yds of a carribou lol, I spotted my last one at 457yds and didn't have a good rest due to the 4-6ft tall clumps of scrub brush so I got closer... Ended up about 65yds away by the time I was able to get a good opening without twigs and sticks in the way.

While I like some of their custom lever guns, I can't recommend WWG. They were the only gun shop I've ever been in that was just rudely dismissive of me. I went in not long after moving up here, right after work. I was dressed business casualand pulled up in a $35k-ish car. I walked in, said hi to the couple employees behind the counter, and was totally ignored. Not even a "hi" back to me. They had a semi custom rifle and a nice looking kimber in 10mm that I would have walked out of there with if they'd have responded to me asking about them. Literally the only words they said to me were "give me a minute" (in a tone that suggested he was irritated that I was interrupting the conversation he was having with another employee) when I asked to talk to them. And 10 minutes later I left without having any further interactions. All said, I spent nearly 30 minutes in the store with only that one exchange.

I only stated how I was dressed and what I was driving to emphasize the thing I think caused they're dismissal of me. I was 28 and clean shaved. I look young for my age, and I think they just assumed I didn't have money, which meant they didn't need to even acknowledge that I was in the store.
In the end they missed out on ~$3000 worth of sales and I ended up with guns I'm probably happier with.
I hear you. Your not the first I've heard of this from. Although my experience was a little less rude then yours. I went in to buy a gun not a experience or conversation. Ended up with the gun I mentioned. Guns are kinda like cars .... they sell them selves. No salesman needed. But it is always better when the customer service is actually there to help.

I would put a 338 Rum together with a 26' Proof barrel T-3 or T -4 Terminator stainless action Mcmillian Game Hunter Edge fill and run the 250 gr or 300 gr . You could still use the rifle when you get back home . It could end up in the 8.5 to 9.5 pound range I think .

Rum Man

My last suggestion, take a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor and load it with Hammers....should be able to dispatch whatever gets in your way at any distance.
If that doesn't work, maybe your DEET will!!!!

I hear you. Your not the first I've heard of this from. Although my experience was a little less rude then yours. I went in to buy a gun not a experience or conversation. Ended up with the gun I mentioned. Guns are kinda like cars .... they sell them selves. No salesman needed. But it is always better when the customer service is actually there to help.
That's me normally, but the bolt gun being a semi custom meant I wanted more info. Barrel make/twist/action truing/gunsmith etc. I know AK has a reputation for bad customer service but geeze. You live up here or just visiting?

I know AK has a reputation for bad customer service but geeze. You live up here or just visiting?

Just visited from the lower 48. New about the co-pilot and needed a vacation souvenir. Luckily I took the wife with me for approval and ended up with the grade 2 49'er.

rifles inc. Strata 300 WM. 5.7 lbs with atlas rail and 30 MM rings. lights out...

Lots of good grizzly rifles/calibers available. I have two .45-70's and love them. Three 325 grain bullets through one hole at 100 yards.
JMO. Everybody has one.

That's me normally, but the bolt gun being a semi custom meant I wanted more info. Barrel make/twist/action truing/gunsmith etc. I know AK has a reputation for bad customer service but geeze. You live up here or just visiting?
Pardon my rude speech as well, but to hell with anyone who looks down on anyone else and ignores them because they think that they lack enough money. I understand that a gun may be a gun, but I will do without before I buy one from a person like that. I'm personally glad you walked out! I always wanted to visit there (because my 416 Rigby supposedly had the bear paws on the floor plate engraved there) (I'm the second owner), but if that is true, I think I may not.

You've already received this recommendation a couple of times, but I want to echo those. A .340 Wby Mag would be a great gun to take. .338 La Pua power with less recoil. Superbly accurate. Plus, who doesn't love a nice Weatherby Deluxe (although you'd probably be better served with an All Weather - Stainless for the old models and cerakoted for the new, and a composite stock).

Darn it, I didn't expect this much response. Should probably add a little more detail...

—I don't want anything too heavy and I'd like a 24" or shorter barrel. I have a vault full or rifles, but I never reach for anything that is overly heavy.

—As for caliber, I'm thinking something .338 (the only .338 I have is a Lapua and I'm not packing that!

—To those that have asked, we are flying into Kotzebue and hunting with Brad Saalsa. I know Grizzlys aren't overly big, but they can eat you and I'm not scared of a little horsepower in a rifle. Obviously, I won't be putting a bead on the bear unless it's a threatening situation I find myself in. The caribou hunting will be on the backburner until we turn up a 'grizz.
standard 338 win with a 225 nosler partition would work. imr 4831

I bought a 375 Weatherby to hunt Alaska with a friend and carried all 10# elk hunting last year. It's for sale if anyone wants one!
Then I put together a scoped 7# 338 RUM. For all intents and purposes the RUM duplicates the 340 Weatherby as does the 338 Lapua and Norma. Mine has a 26" barrel plus the 4 port brake but you could shorten it and still kill anything in north America. That's what I will take when I go!

I was up there this fall on a moose hunt and carried a 338 RUM in a Remington 700 AWR. 7..5 lbs with no optics, Grayboe stock and cerakoted stainless finish
Not gonna break the wallet and not a bad Alaska rifle. Just my 2 cents.