I need a rifle for Alaska...

huckjare

Hey all,

Figured I’d post up a WTB just to see what’s out there. I have a trip planned to Alaska next year. I’m accompanying a friend on a Grizzly hunt, and if we have luck we will try and chase after Caribou. Needs to be a gun worthy of being carried in Grizzly country. I’m sure I have several that would work just fine but who doesn’t want an excuse for a new rifle.

Thank you all.

Clint
I have a Ruger Alaskan in 375 Ruger. It has a few handling marks, but has never been fired

woodnut

I have a 358 STA barrel for a 700 Remy. Shot a moose at 360 yards. Shoots a 225gr.(?) Barnes very well. Have no more trips to use it. Would be willing to sell , along with dies, bullets, brass, if you are interested.

dgr416

Ruger stainless 338 win mag is awesome for Alaska .If you ammo gets lost 338 is easy to find in Alaska .I used one then changed to 338-378 weatherby for longer range .I was there 12 years .My longest shot was on caribou with the 338-378 and it was 450 yards .My hunting buddy shot two with one shot at that range with that rifle .

sharpsguy

LRH Team Member
Hey all,

Figured I’d post up a WTB just to see what’s out there. I have a trip planned to Alaska next year. I’m accompanying a friend on a Grizzly hunt, and if we have luck we will try and chase after Caribou. Needs to be a gun worthy of being carried in Grizzly country. I’m sure I have several that would work just fine but who doesn’t want an excuse for a new rifle.

Thank you all.

Clint
lived in Alaska over 30 years and bagged 3 grizzly's several black bear and couple of caribou. The replies i read are spot on 338 WM. good choice. not familiar with some of the newer ones mentioned but need something big enough to knock them down as they sometimes/often get right back up. time to place second shot needed. Any should be equivalent to 300 WM or bigger. Good luck and it sounds like there are several guys with great choices.

sharpsguy

LRH Team Member
Hey all,

Thank you all.

Clint

cr30378

Remington 700 custom shop 375 rum also a 458 winn mag that loves 400 gn trophy bonded bearclaws

TiniJ

I have an Ed Brown 340WBY for sale that would do the job.
I also have Redding dies and Nosler brass I could add to the package at a deep discount.

Truc

I’ve been messing around testing penetration and expansion of a few bullets,
1st pic is exit of the 300 SAUM 180 Sierra BTSP and the one on the right is 180 PP partition.
2nd pic is the exit of my 338/06 with 225 Partition, to tell you the truth I’d feel safe with either loads or rifles at reasonable ranges.

the exit in top right is from my smokeless ML 275gr 40 cal bulletCCBDAE50-3173-46BE-95B5-9C850F2B8899.jpeg1AA54510-F974-4D24-9B03-04CD604749D2.jpeg

Recent Posts

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce