• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

I need a rifle for Alaska...

Hey all,

Figured I'd post up a WTB just to see what's out there. I have a trip planned to Alaska next year. I'm accompanying a friend on a Grizzly hunt, and if we have luck we will try and chase after Caribou. Needs to be a gun worthy of being carried in Grizzly country. I'm sure I have several that would work just fine but who doesn't want an excuse for a new rifle.

Thank you all.

Clint
Will sell Sako AV 300wm with factory 18" barrel with Swarovski 2.2-9x44 FFP. Both in mint cond. Never hunted with it. Bought for same trip, got ill and couldn't go (sucked). Most sought after rifle for residents of AK......PM me

I agree with tomatz. I'm an old fart so I stuck a scope on my 338 RUM and that made it 8#. It's about to get another stock that'll drop it back to the 7# I was looking for. I went with a 4 port brake from Rossbrakes.com so it's a real pussycat to shoot. That's what encouraged me to drop another pound. That will be a gigantic change from the 10# rifle I carried after elk last year!

I have to say this 338 RUM is more of an everyday rifle than I'd ever imagined.

338 rum is pretty popular up here. 300rum seems like the king up here though. Especially for non handloaders. You can go buy a box of Barnes 180ttsx @3100fps for $65 and be ready for anything we have to offer.

That said, this is still a good excuse to pick up a 375h&h or other 375. I've seen some pretty sever meat damage with a 300rum from shots under ~200yds. The 375 (h&h in my case) looks like 30-06 levels of meat damage at most any range. If you're a deer hunter I wouldn't hesitate to use a 375h&h on deer The rum, I'd be pretty worried if a close shoulder shot presented itself.

Last edited:
If you go with a factory rifle then choose a moderate priced scope you won't have a bunch of coin into your rifle. I have a little more into mine with the trued action, HS Precision sporter and brake. When I add the cost of the scope and lighter stock it's getting expensive though.

I have an extra .35 Whelen AI if you're interested. Its a Remington 700 in a McMillan stock, Cerakoted dark grey, has been drilled and tapped for a Lyman ghost ring, and has Talley 1" rings on it currently. Added a Gre-Tan fluted firing pin and shroud. Barrel is 18" or 20". It's a great brush gun and has enough power for bears without jarring your teeth every shot. Built by gunsmith Stan Jackson in Alaska.

So many options! I had planned to do a coastal brown bear a few years ago and not to be under-gunned bought a Dakota in 378 Weatherby without a muzzle brake. It was truly abusive to shoot and hard to shoot accurately once you knew what was coming when you pulled the trigger - lol. The hunt fell thru and the rifle got sold to an african big game hunter.

I think if I was going to do it today, I would chose a 375RUM or 338RUM probably in that order. Go with medium weight rifle with a good muzzle brake and practice, practice, practice for that first and follow-up shots. Also, use the best bullets (Barnes TSX, Accubond...)

Good luck and check your back trail occasionally!

Here's my .375 Weatherby: 😉

I have a Browning Bar synthetic in .338 win NIB. That may work for you.