• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

I need a rifle for Alaska...

I suggest you consider the Ruger Guide Gun in .375 Ruger. It has more energy than a .375 H&H even with a 4" shorter barrel. It's short, handy, and I would trust my life with it.

I bought one for an Alaskan Trip a couple years ago and I love it!

I suggest you consider the Ruger Guide Gun in .375 Ruger. It has more energy than a .375 H&H even with a 4" shorter barrel. It's short, handy, and I would trust my life with it.I bought one for an Alaskan Trip a couple years ago and I love it!

I too have one and I would definitely recommend the short and quick handling capabilities of it. Also, the removable brake makes it a real pleasure to shoot while practicing with ear protection. I favored my 375 h&h and 416 Rigby for a long time before deciding to try the 375 guide gun. Now I would not trade it for anything. I still love my 416, but for caribou combo and all around hunting, you can't beat the guide gun in 375 Ruger.

I too have one and I would definitely recommend the short and quick handling capabilities of it. Also, the removable brake makes it a real pleasure to shoot while practicing with ear protection. I favored my 375 h&h and 416 Rigby for a long time before deciding to try the 375 guide gun. Now I would not trade it for anything. I still love my 416, but for caribou combo and all around hunting, you can't beat the guide gun in 375 Ruger.

I agree totally. Ruger has put together one heck of a stout rifle that would be difficult to match for the price. Keep in mind it has a great Mauser style bolt action. It also has a dull SS finish and a Lami wood stock which helps it last in the harsh Alaskan conditions.

Good luck with your search.

I have a stainless/synthetic Sako 85 in .375 H&H that has been Magna-Ported. I took it in partial payment for work I had done hoping to one day use it for a hunt like you are going on. I love the gun but I can't justify keeping since it never gets used. I was pleasantly SHOCKED to see how well the magna-porting tamed the recoil. I will listen to offers.

I have a stainless/synthetic Sako 85 in .375 H&H that has been Magna-Ported. I took it in partial payment for work I had done hoping to one day use it for a hunt like you are going on. I love the gun but I can't justify keeping since it never gets used. I was pleasantly SHOCKED to see how well the magna-porting tamed the recoil. I will listen to offers.

I would imagine that's a very nice rifle as well.

image.jpg Here's one that has what it takes. 338 Win Mag.

Model 7 350 RM, Broughton rifle. Shot very little, never hunted. A slick little handy rifle.

Hey all,

Figured I'd post up a WTB just to see what's out there. I have a trip planned to Alaska next year. I'm accompanying a friend on a Grizzly hunt, and if we have luck we will try and chase after Caribou. Needs to be a gun worthy of being carried in Grizzly country. I'm sure I have several that would work just fine but who doesn't want an excuse for a new rifle.

Thank you all.

Clint

You might consider a rifle chambered in 35 whelen. I have a Rem 700 that I call my anything rifle.

Hey all,

Figured I'd post up a WTB just to see what's out there. I have a trip planned to Alaska next year. I'm accompanying a friend on a Grizzly hunt, and if we have luck we will try and chase after Caribou. Needs to be a gun worthy of being carried in Grizzly country. I'm sure I have several that would work just fine but who doesn't want an excuse for a new rifle.

Thank you all.

Clint

.338 LAPUA RIFLES
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/338-lapua-magnum/firearms/rifles/

.338 LAPUA AMMO
Price low to high
https://ammoseek.com/ammo/338-lapua-magnum

Hey all,

Thank you all.

Clint

.340 Weatherby rifle
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/wea...0-wby-mag-26-barrel-3rds/FC-747115428090.html

.340 Weatherby ammo
https://ammoseek.com/ammo/340-weatherby-magnum

Hey all,

Thank you all.

Clint

.338 RUM rifles
https://www.hinterlandoutfitters.co...fles/rf-calibers/338-remington-ultra-mag.html

.338 RUM ammo
https://ammoseek.com/ammo/338rum

I spent 3 years working in Alaska. I took a 30-06 Rem700 and a S&W model 29. Every little mom and pop shop I went into sold ammo and 30-06 was readily available as was .44 mag. I took handloads for the '06 using 200gr Sierra Game kings, but eventually had to buy some local ammo, Federal ammo was everywhere and it was fresh. The first brown I encountered was face on to me on a trail. I put the cross hairs just under the chin and he just dropped. I swore he was playing possum so I sat back behind a tree as a rest and waited. He never moved. That was close less than 70 yards. I did shoot one at nearly 200 broadside to me digging in a hole. That bear just dropped head first in the hole, kicked its feet 4 or 5 times and was done. I'm sure that virtually everyone will say that a 30-06 is too small for the job. It's what I had, so I took it. The local indian guide I had carried a 10ga shotgun with 000 buckshot as a backup. As far as the caribou, I found them to be pretty fragile. One guy with us specifically wanted Caribou meat, he was using a 6mm Rem. They dropped where they stood. One fell in a river, the guide got it with a salmon fishing rig. They are heavy to begin with but are heavier when wet. Trying to stay calm and get off a good shot when you see a bear will be key to good shot placement. Regardless of caliber, use a bullet made for the job. Don't take a Long Range target bullet on a job that your life could depend on.