• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

I need a rifle for Alaska...

My choice was an original Remington Custom Shop Model 700AWR (Alaska <not American> Wilderness Rifle in 375H&H. These were made in Ilion NY back before they moved the Custom Shop and when everything was made in house except the stock is McMillan.

They originally had a Teflon coating which, although wasn't too bad, scratched easily so when I sent it off to have a removable brake put on it I had the whole barreled action bead blasted.

I can't remember the actual weight but I'm thinking these were 7.25 pounds naked without the brake.

The 375H&H is by far and away the most popular African all around big game cartridge and there is a very good reason for that. Ammo is readily available for it and it kills very well and yet still imparts minimal recoil for the awesome killing power it delivers.

Those wanting a wildcat or super magnum are probably offended by my choice but I'd spend more money getting the rifle exactly the way you want it and less on load development when it's totally unnecessary unless you're looking at shooting beyond 600 yards.

The 375 H&H is very easy to load for with trajectory very similar to a 30-06 and Varget is typically the powder of choice for most hand loaders. It's one of those "inherently accurate" cartridges that almost any hand loader can achieve great accuracy for if you choose to hand load and there's a plethora of tried and true big game bullets for it.

Just one man's opinion backed up by 50 years of hand loading and shooting with a liberal dose of hunting thrown in but admittedly no Alaska or Africa hunting yet.

LDH

My choice was an original Remington Custom Shop Model 700AWR (Alaska <not American> Wilderness Rifle in 375H&H. These were made in Ilion NY back before they moved the Custom Shop and when everything was made in house except the stock is McMillan.

They originally had a Teflon coating which, although wasn't too bad, scratched easily so when I sent it off to have a removable brake put on it I had the whole barreled action bead blasted.

I can't remember the actual weight but I'm thinking these were 7.25 pounds naked without the brake.

The 375H&H is by far and away the most popular African all around big game cartridge and there is a very good reason for that. Ammo is readily available for it and it kills very well and yet still imparts minimal recoil for the awesome killing power it delivers.

Those wanting a wildcat or super magnum are probably offended by my choice but I'd spend more money getting the rifle exactly the way you want it and less on load development when it's totally unnecessary unless you're looking at shooting beyond 600 yards.

The 375 H&H is very easy to load for with trajectory very similar to a 30-06 and Varget is typically the powder of choice for most hand loaders. It's one of those "inherently accurate" cartridges that almost any hand loader can achieve great accuracy for if you choose to hand load and there's a plethora of tried and true big game bullets for it.

Just one man's opinion backed up by 50 years of hand loading and shooting with a liberal dose of hunting thrown in but admittedly no Alaska or Africa hunting yet.

LDH
No mention of the 9.3 x 62 which checks the boxes of everything you're wanting to do. LOVE mine. As they say "same as a 375 H&H except with 5 shots",

Here's a great deal. If it was .375 H&H, it'd be coming to me.

If you're still looking, I've a 338/06 Remmy coated with black ice in a McMillan stock. Weighs in at 6.8 lbs, I'd let go fairly reasonably

I spent 7 years in Alaska and found, to me, the best caliber was a 300 Win. Mag. Shot caribou and a moose with NO problems.

I am sellling my complete set-up of a Remington 700 CDL, stainless fluted, 7MM Mag, with Leupold 3.5-10x50 scope, with mounts, rings, aluminum lens caps, factory satin finish stock, realtree camo synthetic stock, and a NUTMEG color thumb hole stock, timney trigger. NEW NEVER FIRED. all for $1700

NEW with all original boxes, documents and manuals, never fired.

Attachments

• 7mm 007.jpg
    7mm 007.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 7mm 009.jpg
    7mm 009.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 7mm 015.jpg
    7mm 015.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 7mm 023.jpg
    7mm 023.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 7mm 024.jpg
    7mm 024.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 7mm 032.jpg
    7mm 032.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC02271_zpsvgty7vte.JPG
    DSC02271_zpsvgty7vte.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC02279_zps2i73eh1y.JPG
    DSC02279_zps2i73eh1y.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 21
Hey all,

Figured I'd post up a WTB just to see what's out there. I have a trip planned to Alaska next year. I'm accompanying a friend on a Grizzly hunt, and if we have luck we will try and chase after Caribou. Needs to be a gun worthy of being carried in Grizzly country. I'm sure I have several that would work just fine but who doesn't want an excuse for a new rifle.

Thank you all.

Clint
I would opt for 338-06 340 weatherby 338 win mag or 375 ruger preference would be the 340 weatherby

I have a Remington 660 in 350 Rem Mag I would potentially part ways with if you were interested. Should work for what you are after.
Very interesting, what's your price range?
Darn it, I didn't expect this much response. Should probably add a little more detail...

—I don't want anything too heavy and I'd like a 24" or shorter barrel. I have a vault full or rifles, but I never reach for anything that is overly heavy.

—As for caliber, I'm thinking something .338 (the only .338 I have is a Lapua and I'm not packing that!

—To those that have asked, we are flying into Kotzebue and hunting with Brad Saalsa. I know Grizzlys aren't overly big, but they can eat you and I'm not scared of a little horsepower in a rifle. Obviously, I won't be putting a bead on the bear unless it's a threatening situation I find myself in. The caribou hunting will be on the backburner until we turn up a 'grizz.
I have a .338 Browning BAR and love it.

Needs to be a gun worthy of being carried in Grizzly country. I'm sure I have several that would work just fine but who doesn't want an excuse for a new rifle.

The perfect Alaskan rifle - Model 70 Extreme Weather in 338 Win like THIS ONE. Light weight, weather/bomb proof, easy to find ammo, easy to reload, accurate, reliable controlled round feed, etc. Shameless plug....I just so happen to have one I'd be willing to part with. PM if interested.

I got a 28 Nosler built Vestals customs rifles
Carbon bbl defiance ultra light action. Built for the mountains. Lightest possible rifle

Recent Posts