• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

I need a rifle for Alaska...

300 win or better is plenty for up here. I have a 375h&h that gets carried if I'm specifically looking for brown bears, but I'd feel comfortable with anything 300win or better. And mostly I tend to carry a 6.5x284 or 7mm rem. I dunno how other airlines are, but Alaska Air is really easygoing regarding firearms.

Where are you planning on hunting up here and when?

Also, @Buckfever34 are you going to be hunting the browns or just backup for those? If you're planning on hunting and not a resident, you need a guide or to be guided by a close family member that is a resident.

If you're just backup that changes what you'd want

Look at https://vasilentarsenal.com/, they make some wicked cool WSM in knock out calibers, like 358, 375, 458 and more, plus if you video the kill on a grizzly with the gun. The GUN IS FREE. Crazy right. I know Ritchie the owner, super cool guy and very knowledgeable and Willing to share his experience. They were able to get the 338 WSM to work after Winchester wasn't able to. And they make them work in AR platform as well as bolt and lever guns, pick your flavor.
We built a 458 WSM a few years back. We called it the 458 North. We had dies made and all. Unless he's making a lot tougher AR platform, I wouldn't want to do it in an AR. AR's weren't designed for that kind of pressure!

Hey all,

Figured I'd post up a WTB just to see what's out there. I have a trip planned to Alaska next year. I'm accompanying a friend on a Grizzly hunt, and if we have luck we will try and chase after Caribou. Needs to be a gun worthy of being carried in Grizzly country. I'm sure I have several that would work just fine but who doesn't want an excuse for a new rifle.

Thank you all.

Clint
Here you go: https://www.jarrettrifles.com/rifle-models.html#ProHunter

We built a 458 WSM a few years back. We called it the 458 North. We had dies made and all. Unless he's making a lot tougher AR platform, I wouldn't want to do it in an AR. AR's weren't designed for that kind of pressure!
Not sure what he is doing but it's working. I haven't looked to much at the 458, I like the 338.

Hey all,

Figured I'd post up a WTB just to see what's out there. I have a trip planned to Alaska next year. I'm accompanying a friend on a Grizzly hunt, and if we have luck we will try and chase after Caribou. Needs to be a gun worthy of being carried in Grizzly country. I'm sure I have several that would work just fine but who doesn't want an excuse for a new rifle.

Thank you all.

Clint
340 weatherby would be awful tough to beat. 375 power and 7 mag flat

Darn it, I didn't expect this much response. Should probably add a little more detail...

—I don't want anything too heavy and I'd like a 24" or shorter barrel. I have a vault full or rifles, but I never reach for anything that is overly heavy.

—As for caliber, I'm thinking something .338 (the only .338 I have is a Lapua and I'm not packing that!

—To those that have asked, we are flying into Kotzebue and hunting with Brad Saalsa. I know Grizzlys aren't overly big, but they can eat you and I'm not scared of a little horsepower in a rifle. Obviously, I won't be putting a bead on the bear unless it's a threatening situation I find myself in. The caribou hunting will be on the backburner until we turn up a 'grizz.

I took a Weatherby sub moa with a leupold scope in .338 win mag and took a 62 inch moose and a great brown bear without a problem.. Synthetic stock and stainless steel are a necessity. Having said that, going back I might take my Ruger 77 Alaskan in .375 Ruger next time. I have really grown to love it.

It's not uncommon for grizz in that part of the state to square over 8ft. Plan on hiking through some of the worse terrain on the planet. Don't know if you have experienced tussocks, there is nothing enjoyable about them. As mentioned before the ruger guide gun in 375 ruger is very impressive, and will shoot great groups out to 300 yards. Have a couple friends that have worked for Brad. You should have a great time.

VA Silent arsenal 338 is a 20 in barrel, and is side by side with the 338 win mag but in a short action, or even an AR platform.

If I was going and using a rifle I have it would be my 35 Whelen, 400 Whelen, or my 338 Win. Mag.
If I was going to get a new rifle it would probably be a 358 STA. I would all so consider these, 338-06, 375 Ruger, 416 Ruger or Remington, 458 Win. Mag. or Lott.
In reality with a good bullet any thing from 30-06 and up will work for a bear protection rifle and still be fine for caribou.
Just my thoughts.

Stop in Anchorage and go to WWG (Wild West guns) and pick up a co-pilot chambered in 457WWG. Good fast backup.

While I like some of their custom lever guns, I can't recommend WWG. They were the only gun shop I've ever been in that was just rudely dismissive of me. I went in not long after moving up here, right after work. I was dressed business casualand pulled up in a $35k-ish car. I walked in, said hi to the couple employees behind the counter, and was totally ignored. Not even a "hi" back to me. They had a semi custom rifle and a nice looking kimber in 10mm that I would have walked out of there with if they'd have responded to me asking about them. Literally the only words they said to me were "give me a minute" (in a tone that suggested he was irritated that I was interrupting the conversation he was having with another employee) when I asked to talk to them. And 10 minutes later I left without having any further interactions. All said, I spent nearly 30 minutes in the store with only that one exchange.

I only stated how I was dressed and what I was driving to emphasize the thing I think caused their dismissal of me. I was 28 and clean shaved. I look young for my age, and I think they just assumed I didn't have money, which meant they didn't need to even acknowledge that I was in the store.
In the end they missed out on ~$3000 worth of sales and I ended up with guns I'm probably happier with.

Last edited: