I guess the 17 WSM is effective on big coyotes.

My Savage model 93R17 needs cleaned often to keep it grouping well . It's a fun gun but I don't want to shoot coyote with it P'dogs ect. are what I shoot with it . If you want to lower the population on coyote the studies say you have to take out 70 % of the years pups so then learning to den for them may be the better option over calling . shooting over baits ect. . Here where I live the coyote seldom use bait stations and are very cautious of any man scents , a lot of them have been called and missed or shot at near baits and have learned not to use them . They will teach their young not to as well . I trapped , snared and called for years doing predator control for years and found that a good denning program would keep the stock numbers up until the pups dispersed in the fall from the surrounding ranches that didn't do good control work . It's all in what you find works for you . I have skinned many coyote with 22 cal bullets in them as well as shot gun pellets . I have gone out and tracked down coyote that were wounded , on snowy ground , by aerial hunters as well as callers . It was my job to clean up after the ones that were just out having a fun day .

My Savage model 93R17 needs cleaned often to keep it grouping well . It's a fun gun but I don't want to shoot coyote with it P'dogs ect. are what I shoot with it . If you want to lower the population on coyote the studies say you have to take out 70 % of the years pups so then learning to den for them may be the better option over calling . shooting over baits ect. . Here where I live the coyote seldom use bait stations and are very cautious of any man scents , a lot of them have been called and missed or shot at near baits and have learned not to use them . They will teach their young not to as well . I trapped , snared and called for years doing predator control for years and found that a good denning program would keep the stock numbers up until the pups dispersed in the fall from the surrounding ranches that didn't do good control work . It's all in what you find works for you . I have skinned many coyote with 22 cal bullets in them as well as shot gun pellets . I have gone out and tracked down coyote that were wounded , on snowy ground , by aerial hunters as well as callers . It was my job to clean up after the ones that were just out having a fun day .
Nice article,my reason I have a passion is to keep my favorite beneficial game animals

Sir,enjoyed your article however some things are not always written in stone.While denning is effective,one has to look at it outside the book.I look at it in a different light,every coyote taken means that numerous beneficial game animals will not fall prey to,.as for bait station ,I get boned carcasses of deer from a deer processor which work well,I put them out usually with bare hands or cloth gloves and within 24 hours coyotes are hitting them.As far as missing when i'm aware where my rifle shoots,I practice regularly and have only missed one coyote in many years. i'll pass on the shot rather than wound any animal and see it run off. If I could only use a 22 for the rest of my coyote hunting my numbers would still be from 50 to 100 a year,while I may or may not be an exception anyone with knowledge and practice can extract a decent toll on these varmints.I too am an avid trapper and have been since a very early age.If we had a trapping section here I could post hundreds of pictures.THX for the article. I can tell when an area has been hunted by amateur hour hunters,it just takes a little more time and effort to get coyotes out of those areas.

Ohlongarm.........you didn't mention, not only are you taking out predators......but, as I, I think you enjoy matching wits with an animal that has far superior senses to you, your brain and experience make you deadly!! I have loved hunting predators my whole life, bears, coyotes, wolves, lions with hounds....you are dealing with animals that have a different mind set than prey...we here in Mondamtana hopefully in the near future may be able to hunt Grizz, they live 20-30 years, they are smart. YMMV.

Ohlongarm , You are correct not any thing is cut in stone . We can't use any game animal or parts in my area my state has laws against their use , no road kills . In the past , until Richard Nixon banned them , poison bate stations were widely used and abused in my area some coyote and other scavengers didn't always die from it and learned not to use them and still to this day coyote are shy of them here . As with any other sport or activity we all start out needing to learn how to do it right some of us are fortunate to be born with people that know from experience to teach us some of aren't that fortunate and make a lot of mistakes while learning , and some aren't real interested in learning as much as just thinking about having a fun day outing . There are those that don't know any better then to just shoot at it while a lot of have been taught better then that . We are all humans and some of us just react at times without thinking of the end results . In the process of keeping the livestock alive we also keep the wildlife alive . In my area there were also more fawns , rabbits and birds that lived to see another day . Not one thing is cut in stone as you say there are some things that seem to hold true year after year . If you get to see fox dens they generally are pretty dirty with fawn parts, lamb legs and parts , snakes and birds laying around . Coyote dens seen to be kept cleaner . When the coyote pups are small a lot of times the adult coyote will just eat the soft tissue of lambs and fawn or even adult deer and antelope so as to carry it back to the young pups in their stomachs . I spent a lot of time studying coyote and did my best to learn where the offending coyote were coming from so as to take them out and stop the stock killing . and most often it was because they were just trying to feed their pups . So to spare the pups suffering without their parents I would take the dens . A lot of times another pare of coyote would adopt the pups but not always . I have a lot of respect for coyote as parents they both take a part in raising the pups and will often have a young female helping also . Many times if the female gets killed after the pups are old enough to live without moms milk , leaving the male with the pups he will bring in another female to help him . I have often seen adult coyote give their lives to spare the pups . I have seen many , many , times when the adults would slip out a few hundred yards and expose themselves in the open to bark and try to draw you away from the den , the same as killdeer birds do for their young . Coyote are survivors and very family oriented . In over 30 years of studying them I have seen some pretty amazing things from them and learned to respect them , I hold no hatred for them they aren't much different then me they just want to make a living the way they know how to the same as myself .

Ohlongarm.........you didn't mention, not only are you taking out predators......but, as I, I think you enjoy matching wits with an animal that has far superior senses to you, your brain and experience make you deadly!! I have loved hunting predators my whole life, bears, coyotes, wolves, lions with hounds....you are dealing with animals that have a different mind set than prey...we here in Mondamtana hopefully in the near future may be able to hunt Grizz, they live 20-30 years, they are smart. YMMV.
I'm hopefully going to hunt wolves near Pole Bridge,i'd like to meet you if I head up your way,my doctor friend has 50 acres backed up to Glacier.

Ohlongarm , You are correct not any thing is cut in stone . We can't use any game animal or parts in my area my state has laws against their use , no road kills . In the past , until Richard Nixon banned them , poison bate stations were widely used and abused in my area some coyote and other scavengers didn't always die from it and learned not to use them and still to this day coyote are shy of them here . As with any other sport or activity we all start out needing to learn how to do it right some of us are fortunate to be born with people that know from experience to teach us some of aren't that fortunate and make a lot of mistakes while learning , and some aren't real interested in learning as much as just thinking about having a fun day outing . There are those that don't know any better then to just shoot at it while a lot of have been taught better then that . We are all humans and some of us just react at times without thinking of the end results . In the process of keeping the livestock alive we also keep the wildlife alive . In my area there were also more fawns , rabbits and birds that lived to see another day . Not one thing is cut in stone as you say there are some things that seem to hold true year after year . If you get to see fox dens they generally are pretty dirty with fawn parts, lamb legs and parts , snakes and birds laying around . Coyote dens seen to be kept cleaner . When the coyote pups are small a lot of times the adult coyote will just eat the soft tissue of lambs and fawn or even adult deer and antelope so as to carry it back to the young pups in their stomachs . I spent a lot of time studying coyote and did my best to learn where the offending coyote were coming from so as to take them out and stop the stock killing . and most often it was because they were just trying to feed their pups . So to spare the pups suffering without their parents I would take the dens . A lot of times another pare of coyote would adopt the pups but not always . I have a lot of respect for coyote as parents they both take a part in raising the pups and will often have a young female helping also . Many times if the female gets killed after the pups are old enough to live without moms milk , leaving the male with the pups he will bring in another female to help him . I have often seen adult coyote give their lives to spare the pups . I have seen many , many , times when the adults would slip out a few hundred yards and expose themselves in the open to bark and try to draw you away from the den , the same as killdeer birds do for their young . Coyote are survivors and very family oriented . In over 30 years of studying them I have seen some pretty amazing things from them and learned to respect them , I hold no hatred for them they aren't much different then me they just want to make a living the way they know how to the same as myself .
Couldn't have said it better,I respect the animal but am relentless in my pursuit of,in fact, I respect all animals. Coyotes are better providers than many humans in lots of instances,trust me being in LE,i know.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts