Any 17 WSM Coyote Kills?

The only bullet I have used is the Winchester 20 gr poly tip (S17W20). I have not tried the 25 gr simply because I prefer speed over grain weight ( too much drop). I have had good results with this cartridge. I use either a 6x or 10x scope depending on the NV device I am using. Since bullet placement is critical I would recommend a higher power scope ( I am restricted due to the NV device).

I would suggest you try both to see what works best for your situation. Even when I do have one that gets up I usually find it within 30 yards. All of my shots have been at 100 - 200 yards (most at around 120). I own 2 17wsm rifles and am buying a 3rd so I am have a bias.

I hunt yotes with my 17 HMR with the 20gr game points and they drive a nice hole the size of a quarter or so through them and I think they do will. Haven't shot one at more than 150 yards with it but feel better about the game points than the 17gr poly tip ones as they give much better penetration if they hit bone. I've gel tested them and the 17gr poly tips dump all their load into a depth <8" which is great if you don't want an exit hole. I've heard mixed results about hitting bone with them and that is why I've only used the 20 gr ones. I wouldn't go to B-mag myself especially after seeing that photo tear a nice hole in one. If I want over 200 yards reliability on a yote, I'll take my .243.

Thanks jrock, I have used the 17gr loads on varmint and small game and it's a killer esp. on ground hog size vermin. I have been hesitant to try coyote but I do have a good supply of 20gr ammo. Have you gel tested the 20gr load? I would be interested in knowing how much penetration you are getting. The distance I'd be shooting coyote would be within 100 yds . Personally I would have to pass on a shot if all I had was 17gr loads, unless I could be confident of putting it in the ear hole. Being in northeast Ohio I'm somewhat restricted with the caliber and distance.

20 grain gel test was at 100 yards and had a penetration of 16 inches and a 4+" wide wound channel that was 12" long. not as wide as the 17 grains but almost twice the penetration.

Thanks that sounds promising since my shot would be under 100 that data gives me confidence in the 20gr load.

Killed a coyote with my Savage BMag 17WSM @162 yards . Dropped him right in his tracks .

Guns shoots 3/4 inch 3 shot pattern @ 40 yards Havent done target any further but the coyote speaks volumes .. No damage to pelt. +++++

No one has mentioned it but Ruger makes a really nice 77/17. I bought one and could not be happier. I did have to put a new trigger in it, factory one really sucked. Put in a Jard. Shoots an inch or under at 100 yards. It is devastating on rabbits and birds. No coyote yet. I highly recommend the Ruger if your looking for a nice rifle.

Ceder

Just picked up a Savage B.Mag in 17 Winchester Super Magnum and wondering if anyone has used one to take any coyotes yet. I've shot a few with the 17 HMR and the only one I didn't have to blood trail was a head shot. I'm hoping the 17 WSM will do better. In Tennessee, where I live, you are not allowed to use a centerfire to hunt any game with during the archery deer season so I'm looking for a better solution than a 22 Mag or 17 HMR.

If you've killed any coyotes, bobcats or similar size game with the 17 WSM, I'd be courious to hear your opinion of how it performs as well as which of the three available loads you used.
Thanks
Nimrodmar10
Shot one the other day with my 17WSM B.Mag
right at 100 yds, flipped twice died right there. Also have shot several prair dogs 80-150 yds out. Flat shootin, laser type accuracy

Just picked up a Savage B.Mag in 17 Winchester Super Magnum and wondering if anyone has used one to take any coyotes yet. I've shot a few with the 17 HMR and the only one I didn't have to blood trail was a head shot. I'm hoping the 17 WSM will do better. In Tennessee, where I live, you are not allowed to use a centerfire to hunt any game with during the archery deer season so I'm looking for a better solution than a 22 Mag or 17 HMR.

If you've killed any coyotes, bobcats or similar size game with the 17 WSM, I'd be courious to hear your opinion of how it performs as well as which of the three available loads you used.
Thanks
Nimrodmar10
I've killed at least a dozen with mine most pics were posted,all one shot kills, about 175 yards furthest neck shot drt. never lost one. The rifle as purchased was garbage , I put a Boyds stock on it, free floated bedded as much as possible and adjusted the trigger to 1/1/2 lbs, it then shot this under ideal conditions with it in a vise. My scope was a cheap Vortex 6x18x44 Crossfire with the V-Brite reticle, 100 yards 20 grain Hornady. I liked the 17 so much I moved up to a 17 Hornet, sold the WSM to a great guy who posts here and he loves it. Kelblys built the rifle for me and witnessed the sighting in and grouping , 5 shots shown here, you can probably do the same with some tweaking.

Attachments

• 5shot.jpg
    5shot.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 75