Unusual Coyote kills?

Howdy,
During early June of this year, my eldest son and I saw two wild hogs in the wheat field west of my house. We each chose a hog, and I counted down from five to zero with the intent that we should fire simultaneously at "zero." The two hogs were working and walking around and at the time to fire, "zero", they were standing one in front of the other. Our shots rang out as one LOUD shot and both hogs went down. Range about 260 yards. We drug them out of the field to the edge of a mesquite wood about 300 yards from my back porch. 4 days later, I saw a coyote on the carcasses. I ran into the house and got my rifle, sat down at the table on the back porch, put the bipod legs down and rested my elbow on one of the chairs and just watched for a few seconds. The coyote would look up and all around then his head would go out of site behind the hog and he would feed about 5 seconds, then the whole thing was repeated. I steadied, fired the shot, and when I came back from the recoil, nothing was there. No coyote, no tail wagging, no nothing. I walked out there and to my astonishment there were TWO dead coyotes lying there one behind the other. Both mine and my sons shots had gone through the first hog killing it, into the second hog killing it, and then I had killed two coyotes with one shot feeding on their carcasses. Talk about your double double!!! Oh, the best part is that my wife witnessed the whole thing.

Coach

Coach you still gotta go one better than that, from the story of killing two coyotes with an aluminum rod, I read. hee hee hee :)

Not to make mad , just joking LOL

Yeah, my hunting buddy and I occasionaly get competitve. It then becomes a fire first game, then giggle like a schoolgirl while the other attempts running shot. Which is then followed with an "I showed you" or long string of cussing in frustration. Lol:D

Howdy,

No sir, no Barnes bullets. Just 150 Nosler out of a 7WSM and my son shoots 130 Nosler out of 270.

Boy I hope to even get a chance to duplicate that some day!!!

Best to ALL of you!

Coach

Oh Yea ,, 270 my favorite long range rifle.
130 gr Yes
Mine is a Model 700 action and everything else is built around it.
An Old gun smith in 1978, by the name of Barnet, in Pasadena TX made it.
Made the stock and put a Douglas barrel on it. scoped 44 mm, with a paralax adjustment. It's not only beautiful but deadly, if you can see it, you can shoot it.

I have shot coyotes out to 400 yds running, with this rifle. The first coyote i shot at in tx, was with the 270 and that critter was moving, and zig zaggin. It took me 3 shots.
My son was laughin because I was a cussing a blue streak the way he was moving.
LOL... It was trying to get my chickens in daylight. I grabbed the rifle and stepped out the door and he was already moving a 100 yds. shot & missed . put another round in , he's 200 or more yds. now I missed again ***. So i load another round and I can barely make him out now, he's so far away, cranked the scope up and followed him on his turn and wham! got him ,, hee hee hee. It was a standing shot too.
That was the longest shot for me.

gun)

Does chasing them, catching up and then running them over with a quad, snomobile or dirt bike count???

Howdy,

You better beleive it counts!!! Good job SBruce. I once ran one down with an old pickup. Later that day I fixed three flats from mesquite thorns though. I still think it was worth it. Lots of FUN!

Best to you and good shooting.

Coach

Snomobile is great fun, but kinda hard on belly pans. Doesn't hurt a quad one bit. Kinda dangerous on a dirt bike, but what a rush!

Now if I could just figure out how to shoot a pistol with one hand (the weak hand to boot), then I could just ride up beside them and blow em off their feet without busting up the belly pan of the sled.

What a blast! Sometimes, if the snow is over a couple feet deep, it just mashes em down into the snow and they'll get up and run the other direction in the track. Then I gotta turn around and go at it again.....reminds me of that old carnival game where you hit the pop ups with a mallet and they just pop back up again.:D:D

Shane

Have you ever chased them down with two people on snowmobiles? You can get one guy chasing the dog from behind and the dog will usually stay focused on the sled that's chasing it, the other guy then loops out and around and comes in for the kill shot when you T-bone the dog while he's got all his attention focused on the sled that's chasing him.

I've never personally done it cause I don't have sleds, but my uncle and his friends used to do it a lot and they said it was some of the best fun they'd ever had.

No, never did try it with someone else hittin em from the side. Sounds like it would work well though. They do sure seem to look back alot at that big cat that's coming up fast on their tail....LOL:D:D

Snomobile is great fun, but kinda hard on belly pans. Doesn't hurt a quad one bit. Kinda dangerous on a dirt bike, but what a rush!

Now if I could just figure out how to shoot a pistol with one hand (the weak hand to boot), then I could just ride up beside them and blow em off their feet without busting up the belly pan of the sled.

What a blast! Sometimes, if the snow is over a couple feet deep, it just mashes em down into the snow and they'll get up and run the other direction in the track. Then I gotta turn around and go at it again.....reminds me of that old carnival game where you hit the pop ups with a mallet and they just pop back up again.:D:D

Howdy,

Got a cure for your blues.... go buy a Taurus Judge. Great coyote medicine!

Good shooting.

Coach

I use to let my dogs do the entire job. From a cold track in the morning to a cold yote later on.

scan0025.jpg

Well strangest is my first. Not much to compare to but. After hunting this am archery I came in around 11am have lunch and relax awhile before going back out at 2. When my kenneled chessie starts going ape sh.. Barking and trying to climb kennel. I go out to ask him to quite down and see whats up? I see he's focused on upper pasture and totally ignoring me, gazing upon the pasture I see a coyote cruise past my cows and horse. Mind ya our blk baldy just had a calf sunday. They just keep grazing, horse watches, I bolt back inside to grab my ar-varmit rifle, thinking know way that yotes going to not see my running in house and not bolt out there. in record time I get gun from safe, scope caps off, pop mag in, swing front door open, charge it. I look and he's standing at corner hedge row look at cows. Through scope I cant find him, duh 24x at about 250 not much feild of view, Now I have him in cross hairs quick calculation of aim. BANG, boy 24" bull sure keeps ya on target w/223. He spins and turns toward me and runs my way. I try dbl tap and he turns right through hedge row into next field. Now im off to garage in my socks to hop into kubota rtv to see if i can cut him off in next field. I see him in next field about 25 yrds past tree row, i stop shoot him, done. Upon inspection i clipped him on last must of angled through guts, because somewhere hang out far side, second shot i put in neck. I've been out dozens of times spring, winter ,fall, farm land oh, n.w. Woods of Pa , alone with exp. coyote hunters, and not. and my first is off my porch. Go figure. All my practice w/ar from 2-500 on steel at range payed off. I have pics but there on my phone and i havent a clue how to post.

Thanks for reading,
Gene

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts