I guess the 17 WSM is effective on big coyotes.

Pretty much anywhere,the good ole back yard is one, ,Adams County one of my favorites,Carrollton County,Medina.

cool. I did the majority of my coyote hunting in Hamilton county and some in butler. Biggest dog I killed on one of the farms I hunted was 40lbs

A few years ago, I was traveling through W.VA. into Ohio and looked ahead and at first I thought I was seeing a "statue" of animals. Bears came to mind first, then, no it was wolves! NO, they moved! They were two of the biggest coyotes I ever saw! I have seen yotes out West, and a big one is maybe 30 lbs. These had to be in the 50 or more lbs. range. Honestly, thought at first they were wolves.

I purchased a Sporter B-mag that wouldn't get under 2" on a good day and averaged 3"Moa and I sent it back to savage and they sent me a new one three times. Then they came out with the heavy barrel and I sold the last B-mag Sporter new in the box and bought the target barrel. Put it in a Boyds stock and it will shoot 1/2 - 3/4" at 100 yards if I do my part. The round hits harder than most think it would. It is pig medicine between the eye and the ear!

I'm curious as to how big a group you guys are getting at 100 yards. Mine shoots a group of 1.5 inch. It's a Savage 93 R 17 with the stainless bull barrel bolt action. The only cartridge I haven't tried is the Browning.

Man, would I love to have one of those semi-auto Volquartsens in .17 WSM! Big bucks, although surely they would offer some kind of accuracy "guarantee"(?). If the first shot didn't kill a big coyote, a quick follow-up should do the trick.

Scott is the head of Volquartsen and a fine gentleman. His rifles won't leave unless they are accurate and operate properly. I have a17HMR And it's a tack driver. But a closet queen as I got a 17WSM bolt rifle now. I'd love to sell it so I could buy his semi in WSM. Any one interested?

I have one of the heavy barreled one's it shot ok out of the box so I bought a boyds varminter for it and turned it in too a real shooter .The factory stock was very flimsy the boyd's is very stiff and really helped this gun shoot 3/8 in. group at 100 yds!

Attachments

• 1586628492770416714710.jpg
    1586628492770416714710.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 139
Savage B-mag 20 grain at 3000 fps hit this male chest dead center at 110 yard bait station,dropped instantly made a believer out of me was on the fence before, I bought the little rimfire entrance wound is virtually impossible to find,no exit.Shot placement once again.I've only shot one yote with this rifle,less than two weeks old.Look dead center scuffed his fur a little and found the tiniest hole dead on.View attachment 186450
I've been thinking of adding a 17 to my collection. I like collecting and processing furs and the tiny amount of damage is very exciting. Raccoons Bobcats coyotes and Rabbits are my main targets. Currently I use a Marlin 22 with Match ammo from Eley. Very accurate up to 50 yards but it's no good for Coyotes. And marginal on Bobcat. A 17 should be very useful

My marlin 17vs bull barrel 17hmr will hold 1/2-3/4" groups all day with 17gr hornady v-max.
Will the 17hmr drop coyotes like the wsm? I've never shot a yote with my home.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.