I found an interesting bullet

atl5029

So I was looking at the selection of MTH (match tactical hunting) bullets from Cutting Edge and I noticed they offered one that was quite unique for its caliber. They offer a .358 cal, 340 grain MTH with a G1 BC of .920 that requires a 1:10 twist. What monster of a round could fire that beast of a bullet with a respectable velocity for a long range application? The biggest common 35 cal rounds I know of are the 358 Norma and 350 Rem Mag, and the biggest slugs they often shoot are 250 grains. I know of the .358 UMT, based off of the 300 Ultra Mag case, but idk what common bullet weights are for that round.

Are there some super magnum .358 cal cartridges out there based off of the 416 Rigby case similar to the 338 Lapua that would excel with this bullet? I'm not looking at a build or anything, just curious.

BTW: GS Custom also just put out bullet data for 2 .338 cal long range bullets of 257 and 285 grains.

Anything with a RUM sized, or larger, case capacity that has been necked up to .358 caliber should push it ok.

You could shoot them in a .35 Whelen, but I wouldn't expect too much velocity out of it. I just don't think that case has the capacity to push a bullet that big and heavy to desired velocities. But I could be wrong.

A .920 G1 BC is pretty solid... If someone had a need for something that large, I can imagine that bullet would be one of the best options available for .358 caliber chamberings.

I recall reading something about Bruce Baer playing with an uber-mag.358...CheyTac maybe? I don't recall the details; heck, it might not have been a .358.

Anywho... don't forget the .358 STA in your line-up. It still won't have the horsepower of the UMT (I remember that article from many moons ago). When I was playing with my STA, I was pushing a 225 Barnes at 3100 with good brass life.

The increased frontal area of the .358 should hold some merit in the field against the bigger maminals.... That is one heck of a BC, Did they post that G1 at a specific starting velocity?

t

Anywho... don't forget the .358 STA in your line-up. It still won't have the horsepower of the UMT (I remember that article from many moons ago). When I was playing with my STA, I was pushing a 225 Barnes at 3100 with good brass life.
The increased frontal area of the .358 should hold some merit in the field against the bigger maminals.... That is one heck of a BC, Did they post that G1 at a specific starting velocity?
t
All true. I was told in the NWT moose wouldn't be killed with one shot regardless of what I shot. Guess what, liquefy moose vitals, and they fold just like a whitetail.

We played with AI version. Limitations of the .358 diameter has always been finding good long range bullets. 250 grains to 3000fps with a 26" barrel is not hard to do.

Things change, but if my safe wasn't already overflowing I'd give serious thought to a RUM based .358. I'm not sure where a
quality 1-10" twist barrel would come from, but that would be part of the appeal. One also should be cautious about building a rifle for just one bullet. :)

quality 1-10" twist barrel would come from, but that would be part of the appeal. One also should be cautious about building a rifle for just one bullet. :)

A barrel could be had but i'm sure it would be costly & you'd wait for a good while. I should check the twist rate of my .358 :rolleyes:

If one did build a rifle for just one bullet, he'd better buy a LOT of them:cool:

t

Historically 1-16" was common, at the time (late 80's) most were 1-14". For a short time Shilen was 1-12", which is what I had. My recollection is they went back to 1-14".

I haven't looked into it for many years. Could be an easier solution than I think.

Mine too is an older Shilen. I might have to drag it out & measure. If CEB is making them it's because someone asked them to. I will send an email to Dan & ask about the background of the bullet.

t

If they built a hunting round in 225 to 300 grains I bet the bc of it would be north of .600 and would hammer, while still being able to use in common .358 twist rates (12" to 16"). I have horded a bunch of barnes 250 x bullets for my 350 rem mag and they do an amazing job on moose and grizz. Now if CEB comes out with a lighter offering I will definitely try some out.

Reuben

If they built a hunting round in 225 to 300 grains I bet the bc of it would be north of .600 and would hammer, while still being able to use in common .358 twist rates (12" to 16"). I have horded a bunch of barnes 250 x bullets for my 350 rem mag and they do an amazing job on moose and grizz. Now if CEB comes out with a lighter offering I will definitely try some out.

Reuben

Well brother, that is one good thing about CEB. If you ask for it, they will make it :cool: Hint, hint. :D Good score on the 250's. That is the bullet I built my .358 for... & they stopped making it right before I completed the build, dern it.

So does Krieger.

I don't know enought about McGowan barrels, I like the Krieger option. Any idea on what the wait time would be?

t

I don't know enought about McGowan barrels, I like the Krieger option. Any idea on what the wait time would be?

Their website says 7 months.

Bartlein doesn't list them on their calibers page but I think they also have them available.

Fred Wells, noted action designer and rifle builder, worked with the .378 Weatherby case necked down to accept 35 caliber bullets for probably 40-50 years after the case first appeared from Weatherby. It was always referred to as the .350 Wells Express.

Fred Wells' Old Place: Hallowed Ground

This cartridge will provide enough capacity to get the bullet above moving at a significant pace if loaded and fired single shot. The all copper and all brass bullets are long for caliber, necessitating single shot loading.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.