I found a Sightron S3 LRMD

That's too bad...

It really makes me wonder what it IS actually used for then. I have a hard time picturing a scope of that size being used for close-range hunting.

If you're set on S3 10-50x60mm (LRTD, or LRFCH) models with 30mm tube and the 50 MOA adjustment is a show stopper, just add a 10 or 20 MOA base to hump it over the sub 1k range. lightbulbgun)

If you're set on S3 10-50x60mm (LRTD, or LRFCH) models with 30mm tube and the 50 MOA adjustment is a show stopper, just add a 10 or 20 MOA base to hump it over the sub 1k range. lightbulbgun)

Depends on the ranges you are shooting at.

You may be able to get to 1k, but not zero at 100.

I'm happy for him, but not everyone shoots rifles with the same ballistics at the same distances.

What if he wants to shoot beyond 1k? What if he wants to shoot a heavier bullet? Can he still get there?

A scope with more adjustment will have more yardage available.

I'm not saying it is a bad scope, or that it can't be used for hunting. I was just trying to point out that there are trade-off's.

I'm happy for him, but not everyone shoots rifles with the same ballistics at the same distances.

What if he wants to shoot beyond 1k? What if he wants to shoot a heavier bullet? Can he still get there?

A scope with more adjustment will have more yardage available.

I'm not saying it is a bad scope, or that it can't be used for hunting. I was just trying to point out that there are trade-off's.

I hear you! It wouldn't work for me either ... too much magnification for hunting. He got it set up for target shooting only at this time in his 7MM Mag. He's got other rifles for other purposes.

I've heard that it works great for sub 1k target work.

The higher magnification levels would need very solid rests (I'm thinking benchrest) to keep the picture steady. Mirage would also be tough to deal with.

You don't need high magnification for long range. Just enough to get the reticle on target.

Clear glass, tracking, and travel are just as important if not more.

For a 4 figure scope, I'm glad to hear that it's good for SOMETHING!

MY "rests" will (on the platform that a scope of such magnitude would go on) consist of a free-sliding bi-pod on a super-stiff stock with a fine-adjustment thumbwheel under the butt. Paper aside, chucks and coyotes (large varmints) would be my "primary" targets. But if other "targets of opportunity", like say crows for example (small varmints), would present themselves, there just might be some lead headed in their direction also . Other than that, 1 or 2 deer per year.

It seems like nobody else around here likes high magnification, but I have taken a liking to it. But there ARE going to be conditions encountered where 50X isn't going to be the optimal choice. Low light, mirage, moving targets, unstable rests, & non-open areas, would probably be the main ones.

But it's as if many just don't seem to comprehend that you CAN turn the power DOWN, if the situation calls for it. If I had 10-50X, I would be using the minimum of 10x, if I was planning to shoot deer, in the woods.

But if one of those 2 "big 50" models really does only have 20 MOA of adjustment, that REALLY blows, considering the 4-figure price tag.

50 MOA hey?

Well let's see... If shooting 6.5x300 wsm, at 3250 fps and at 5000ft of altitude, we
get the following info. using Berger 140 gr. VLD

50moa.jpg

It shows that from a completely horizontal boreline, at 100
yards the bullet drop would be 1.7".

So, a 20 MOA base and zeroed at 100 yards you would have a total of aproximately
41 MOA and 2 clicks of (1/4 moa per click) of vertical adjustment left for long range
shooting.

Looking at a drop table for std conditions at 5000 feet of elevation, it boils down to:

At a 1000 yards you need only 18.3 MOA!

At 1200 Yards you need 24.6 MOA

You will be using up all 41 MOA and 2 clicks at about 1610 yards.

As we all understand, that's possible because of the amazingly high BC. and

a pretty decent muzzle velocity.

Good Hunting!

Nice try Eaglet. How may people are shooting a 6.5x300wsm? You picked quite a hot-rod to prove your point.

How about trying something that someone is more likely to be shooting? My pick would be a 308 with 180g Accubonds at 2600fps.

How's the 223 shooting? I have a 6.5x284 that I just finished that you could try.

Nice try, hey?

Ok! I'm not being quite fair but I'm still playing...

I'll be using a 26" barrel in a 308 Winch. and two bullets...

1...Berger Match Hybrid Target 155 gr. BC7=0.247 ( :rolleyes:) MV = 2950 fps
2...Berger Match Hybrid Target 168 gr. BC7=0.266 :)D) MV = 2850 fps

Elevation 5000 feet at standard conditions.

Elevation MOA adjustments and Energy at 1000 yards.

155 gr. @1000 yards 26.5 MOA 813 ft-lb
168 gr. @1000 yards 27.6 MOA 890 ft-lb
-----------------------------------

155 gr. will have 1000 ft-lb of energy at 860 yd
168 gr. will have 1000 ft-lb of energy at 915 yd

Enough energy for antelope, deer, cow elk, coyotes, etc.
------------------------------

Approximate max. MOA adjustment range will be achieved at the following distances:

155 gr. 1265 yards
168 gr. 1247 yards
-----------------------------------------------
NOTE: these bullets are not suppose to be hunting bullets but......????

The days that we needed 39 to 40 MOA to reach 1000 yards with the 308 Winch.
are far gone and lost in the past.... JMHO

--------------------------------
Sorry to say my 223 has not yet been glass bedded and I'm jealous about your
6.5x284... Have you shot it? Did you do as good looking job as you did on mine?

I see your still avoiding my heavy hunting bullet. This isn't long range shooting....:D

No, I haven't shot the 6.5 yet. I don't have the dies and I can't afford factory ammo. Besides that, I haven't figured out how to fire it yet, the bolt is on the wrong side.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.