I am looking for writers to test - Nikon Spotter, Nightforce scope

I would be willing to try either or both.

I just got a new Weatherby Vanguard2 in .308 (it is guaranteed SUB MOA) . I just finished shooting the break-in rounds. I can't wait to prove it one way or the other.

Len,

I would be interested in testing the Nightforce scope. I shoot regularly as a law enforcement designated marksman and believe I can put the cope through an honest test.

I am so pleased with the quality of volunteers. I plan to offer more opportunities in the future. I will keep you all in mind.

I have just committed the NF to sendero man who has 2 yrs experience with the NF velocity 600 version.

No decision yet on the Nikon scope.

Thanks all!

Len,

I have a couple scouting trips planned the first of July to the Sawtooth's of Idaho. I also have a trip to the Oregon coast for some sight seeing in June. Both should offer a good chance to compare your Nikon to my Swaro 20-60x80 HD. I also have a Canon SLR and a couple L series lenses and a Compact Canon that would work well for some digi use and comparisons. I would just need to figure out the eyepiece specs to see if my adapter would work.

I am interested to see how the VR technology works. That kind of technology is incredible in camera lenses and I am interested to see how it would transfer over to the viewing and digi world.

I don't have any technical training in optics or glass quality but when I am not shooting or hunting I usually have a camera in my hands taking landscape, sports, wildlife, and family pictures. I have owned a lot of product over the years and feel I have a good understanding of quality, features, and the expectations hunters have.

No matter who does this I am anxious to see the review. I know you mentioned this but I am especially interested in the digiscope portion of this review as it pertains to how I would use a scope with that kind of feature.

Scot E.

when will or how will somwbody know if they got the postion or not i would love to it and feel i am very capleable to do

I am so pleased with the quality of volunteers. I plan to offer more opportunities in the future. I will keep you all in mind.

I have just committed the NF to sendero man who has 2 yrs experience with the NF velocity 600 version.

No decision yet on the Nikon scope.

Thanks all!

Thank you very much ! I look forward to evaluating/testing the new 1000 Velocity reticle.

SM

Len,

Between myself and three buddies here in Eastern NC, I thnk we could put togethere a pretty good test and evaluation of one or both of your optics. We all shoot custom 7-300's and also a few of us have some 6x47 lapua. Night Force glass is on all of these but one, the other is Leupold.

If you want to PM me for more information, that would be great.

Roger

Sealesniper

I have committed the NF to Sendero Man, as I said above. He has 2 yrs experience with the NF Velocity reticle.

I am still looking for someone experienced in digiscoping to write about the Nikon spotter.

Len,
I would be very interested in the NXS test. I shoot 1000yd, 700yd, 600yd competitions. Would be mounted a custom built 6.5x47Lapua. As of now, have a 8.5-25x50 Leupold Mark4 on this rifle. Would be very interesting to see how that night force compares.

I would be interested in testing the reticle. I am co-owner and rifle smith at Accuracy Specialties. I shoot 5-10k rounds per year using Nightforce, vortex, Leopold, and Burris optics. My partner and I won the Vortex Extreme last year, as well as other local and regional matches.

Re: I am looking for writers to test - Nightforce scope

As would be expected, I would be pleased to offer my services. Instead of basing my reviews of this scope on anecdotal evidence from a hunt, I would instead perform the majority of the review and article from tightly controlled tests. Very accurate and specific loads will be developed, their ballistics in the test gun established and accuracy acsertained. Then I would proceed with tests of the scopes accuracy, both in the scope reliability and in the scopes ranging abilities. A hunt for coyotes or ground hogs may follow up the tests for some real life application. However, I would not base the review primarily on a hunt since the circumstances in the hunt can have too large an influence on the scopes ability to perform. My ability to shoot a whitetail or mule deer would do little to convince someone that this scope lives up to its reputation. Scopes of all make and models have accounted for kills. That a kill was made with a scope of a specific brand and model does not make it superior vs. another scope that also has managed a kill.

It seems to me that if some someone were buying this scope, it would be because that person was of an analytical mind. If the person was just looking for a new scope he would primarily be ignoring the additional features the scopes has to offer in favor of whatever his usual method of shooting has always been. Such as shooting known distance regardless of the scopes ability to assist or they would fall back to traditional methods of deciding where to hold over his game animal. So a small part of the review could be in a hunting situation to show the scopes practical value in the field. I would choose to hunt something small. In this type of hunt a scope with range estimating abilities could stand out, a small error in ranging estimating could mean the difference between a hit or miss. However, I can assure you that the consumer looking to this scope would be wanting clear evidence that it does what it promises. I doubt a recounting of a hunt alone would be enough to establish the scopes true worth. As I mentioned , just because that scope was part of a kill means nothing, every other scope on the market has already laid claim to making kills, some under amazing circumstances.

I have also penned several articles, some for technical web sites and some for printed hunting magazines. So I can bring the knowledge of both an analytical mind and one that knows the needs of the hunter and shooter. This scope would appeal to both groups. I think the article would also need to recognize that if you hunt, or just target shoot, this scope can cover a variety of needs. I have a strong marketing background to draw on when writing the final review article.

As for my skill with a gun, my aggregate group size based 30 groups fired for a local compeition was .179, the smallest groups being .012, many under .100 and no groups ever went over .220. This aggregate group size did beat all 26 shooters accross all categories. I also have communicated activley with Glen Newick, who holds the world record with the 6MM BR, (my cartrdige of choice) he confirms, I shoot some nice groups :)

I look forward to helping readers discern if this scope is the correct one for them.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.