I’m Turning Necks Now!

DoneNOut

Not because I'm just daggum handsome this time! 😜

So, reducing 308 brass to 708 brass and then fire forming to 708 AI brass produced some thick necks at the tune of .016". With loaded bullet I had maybe .0005 neck to chamber clearance. Yup, about none. I experienced bughole grouping out of 708 cases being formed, then things went off the rails with my 708AI loads.

@VinceMule - suggested I had some weird donut or something forming in the cases when fired to AI.

Got my neck turning stuff and Vince was right. When I turn these necks, the mandrel gets stopped for a few seconds until it overcomes the anomaly present in all these case necks!

I'm down to .013" case neck thickness now with no weirdo bumps in the necks. Can't wait to see the results in target!

IMG_0595.jpeg

IMG_0598.jpeg

Last edited:
Your necks look good. The only thing that I see, is the angle of the cutter. Is it the right angle for the AI?....Kinda asking and informing at the same time. I've never turned necks on a AI, so it might not matter.

Your necks look good. The only thing that I see, is the angle of the cutter. Is it the right angle for the AI?....Kinda asking and informing at the same time. I've never turned necks on a AI, so it might not matter.
This is a 50 degree cutter. K&M said 50 degree cutter works for everything. AI is 40 degree. They offer a 43 degree cutter. Just not sure if it's worth it right now in my infancy stage of neck turning.

Recent Posts