TURNING CASE NECKS?

shawn68

MY FORSTER HAND HELD TURNER AND PILOTS WERE DROPPED OF TODAY. SOME ONE WHANT TO TEACH ME THE BEST WAY TO OUTSIDE TURN MY BRASS?

First thing you need to do is have the necks sized. Next you need to figure how much you want to remove from the neck. Is it a custom chamber where you need to neck turn to a specific size? Or are you just taking off the high spots on the necks? Neck turning for most guns is more for your piece of mind. Certainly a custom chamber with a special neck dia is a different story. I only turn necks when the brass is too thick for some wildcats. (I don't like to make new wildcats that require neck turning, some however you can't get away from not doing it.) Other than that i dont mess with it. I have tested neck turned brass and plain brass, didn't really see any accuracy difference. When you get into small cal bench rest rifles then that is also a different story.

As was stated, if you don't have to turn to get the brass to fit in a custom chamber, then just turn enought that 95% of turned cases are 100% cleaned up by the turning. After that, I'd really recommend Redding Competition Dies with the proper bushing. Check Bruno's Shooters Supply for the best prices on the dies.
Coyoter

Three suggestions

1. It will help your neck turning a lot if you don't make your posts in all caps.

2. Use old brass to practice on. The necks will be harder but when you ruin the brass it's loss will be less.

3. You will or should notice that one side of the cutter blade is whacked off. This is not a manufacturing defect as I assumed. It is actually the side of the blade that intersects with the shoulder. Some people say that if you take just a litle nick out of the junction that it will prevent doughnuts. I suspect that this is much like rubbing a wart with a new penny and burying it with a potato under the full moon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CAUTION: The surgeon general warns that neck turning is hazardous to your mental health. I actually turned some 17 Rem brass a little too much and the neck was too thin to get squeezed down by the resizing die and would not hold a bullet.

Sorry about the big letters,

I turned 50 shells today. I took off what the DESTRUCTIONS told me to. Sorry,I did the big letter thing again.

Thanks for the help. Ill give these boys a run and post my results.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts